Christmas Present

GreenDrake

My beautiful wife blessed me with a new Dickinson plantation grade 16 gauge side by side. It has 28 inch barrels...case hardened side plates and a single trigger. Wood is beautiful. Pictures to follow.

I am truly blessed to have such a beautiful life partner.

Nephew bought me 2 of the new Lucky Duck spinning wing pigeon decoys. We will now be running 6 spin wing decoys  along with the other assorted hard bodies....carousel....bouncers...socks..........flock a flicks...etc. 

• Like 4

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see the pics.  I have a couple 16's that were my grandfathers.  The Ithaca model 37 is my favorite smoothbore for deer.  An old J Steven's side by side, choked improved cylinder and modified, is my favorite rabbit and grouse gun.

Hopefully, my dad will pass his Browning sweet sixteen to me some day.  About 35 years ago, he let me borrow it, the Sunday prior to deer season, and I went 2 for 2 on grouse with it. Those were the only two shots that I ever took with that gun.

16's have always been my favorite shotguns.  12's are fat and ugly and 20's are too spindly and pencil-like.  I have definitely killed more game with 16's, than with all other gauges combined.  I am glad to see that they are making a comeback.

I am a 16 gauge junkie.  I have 6 Belgian sweet 16s...savage 720 which was my fathers from the 40s....2 grade 7 Citoris....stevens pump which was my fathers first gun in the 30s...and a battle cart side by side. 
My fondest memory as a child was watching my father load those purple Federals while pheasant hunting. Since then I’ve been a 16 gauge fanatic. I own over 30 12s...20s from Perazzi to Baretta...and everythin between.  I always go to the 16. 

• Like 2