Homemade venison sausage

NYBowhunter

I don't have any pix from this years sausage, but I made sweet italian and smoked jalapeno cheddar. For some reason the texture of the smoked sausage isn't quite right, so i'm still tinkering with that one. When I run it through the grinder once and mix in all the seasonings, it's good. I make a small sample patty and pan fry it, and the taste and texture are just where I want them. Then I run it through again when stuffing it, but after that the texture is off. I don't have that issue when using the same process with the sweet italian. So this year I sent a bunch out to Costanza's, and kept about 25-30 pounds for me to tinker with.

I don't have any pix from this years sausage, but I made sweet italian and smoked jalapeno cheddar. For some reason the texture of the smoked sausage isn't quite right, so i'm still tinkering with that one. When I run it through the grinder once and mix in all the seasonings, it's good. I make a small sample patty and pan fry it, and the taste and texture are just where I want them. Then I run it through again when stuffing it, but after that the texture is off. I don't have that issue when using the same process with the sweet italian. So this year I sent a bunch out to Costanza's, and kept about 25-30 pounds for me to tinker with.

Get a separate stuffer been a huge help for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I just got a grinder and I’m looking forward to making sausage next year. Where do you guys get your casings and supplies and recipes?

I use globe casings out of NJ look into the ones in the sleeve if you can amazing and easy to get on the tube

11 minutes ago, virgil said:

I just got a grinder and I’m looking forward to making sausage next year. Where do you guys get your casings and supplies and recipes?

I get casings from syracuse casings-  the local price chopper carries them. Spices i get at an amish store or herehttps://www.waltonsinc.com/seasonings/sausage-seasonings .  Also the meatgistics on the waltons site can be a big help for info.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

Yeah I do the same, make a patty and  fry up and have the family do taste tests before I stuff. I only run my venison thru the grinder once, I feel if you run it thru twice you will get too loose of a consistency which would be fine for hot dogs but not sausage. Stuffing the casings with a grinder is way to fast in my opinion and not a  controlled feed, its best to buy a manual stuffer like a LEM where you can control the speed of the feed and stop on a dime.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, virgil said:

Grinder is great, only grind the venison once for sausage , I don't like to use the grinder to stuff my casings,   get yourself a stuffer, I have a LEM with the manual crank arm and also comes with 3 different size stuffing tubes.  As for recipes I made my own and have tweaked it to perfection over the years...lol..As for the casings, I use natural Hog casings from LEM, one package makes about 25-30lbs of sausage and can be bought on Amazon. The package says it makes 25lbs but I made 27lbs the other day and still had 2 strands of hog casings left over. 

• Like 1

I've been keeping an eye out for manual stuffers. I'll grab one when I find one I like at a price that makes sense. 

I usually grab casings at Wegman's. For the seasonings, I bought the big containers of the the core ingredients like fennel seed, garlic powder, paprika and that should last me a few years. Other ingredients like salt, pepper, etc I just grab as needed. 

7 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I've been keeping an eye out for manual stuffers. I'll grab one when I find one I like at a price that makes sense. 

I usually grab casings at Wegman's. For the seasonings, I bought the big containers of the the core ingredients like fennel seed, garlic powder, paprika and that should last me a few years. Other ingredients like salt, pepper, etc I just grab as needed. 

Same here I buy the large containers of the key spices so that they last. Another key ingredient which some may overlook or not know about is protein powder, without that I would not make sausage, its crucial as it binds the fat to the meat.

IMG_54261.jpg

Figured this is as good a spot as any, but apologies in advance if it’s a hijack. I am planning to make my first sausage ever and have purchased Backwoods (LEM) breakfast blend seasoning. For that I’m not planning on using casings, just ground. For this, I was planning about 80-20 venison to pork fat. Also was thinking I’d run some already ground in with the pork and grind it through a medium plate. Does that sound like a good plan?

I also bought a summer sausage seasoning pack and some fibrous cases. I have meat that has not been ground yet and wanted advice on what to mix in with it. Was thinking pork and pork fat originally, but also wanted opinions on beef or a mix of pork and beef with the venison.

I do not have a stuffer, just a grinder with a three plates and a tube. I also have a jerky shooter thing.

Any input is appreciated.

1 hour ago, onlybrowning said:

Figured this is as good a spot as any, but apologies in advance if it’s a hijack. I am planning to make my first sausage ever and have purchased Backwoods (LEM) breakfast blend seasoning. For that I’m not planning on using casings, just ground. For this, I was planning about 80-20 venison to pork fat. Also was thinking I’d run some already ground in with the pork and grind it through a medium plate. Does that sound like a good plan?

I also bought a summer sausage seasoning pack and some fibrous cases. I have meat that has not been ground yet and wanted advice on what to mix in with it. Was thinking pork and pork fat originally, but also wanted opinions on beef or a mix of pork and beef with the venison.

I do not have a stuffer, just a grinder with a three plates and a tube. I also have a jerky shooter thing.

Any input is appreciated.

For breakfast sausage I just buy ground pork and mix it 50/50 with venison add in spices and then make patties. It gives it that sausage texture.   But can certainly add in chunks of venison and pork/pork fat and grind. Just make sure it is cold.  If it gets warm it doesn't grind well and also doesn't form together as well.  

I've only made snack sticks a couple of times and summer sausage once.  And I went 80/20 venison to pork. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Same here I buy the large containers of the key spices so that they last. Another key ingredient which some may overlook or not know about is protein powder, without that I would not make sausage, its crucial as it binds the fat to the meat.
IMG_54261.jpg.1dbca57635b2dde77a2c9e5a8bef2fc8.jpg

Dehydrated milk works great too

• Like 3