Homemade venison sausage

NYBowhunter

13 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Academy is going to have a sausage making GTG? I see blueberry breakfast, jalapeno cheddar, and various Italian sausage being made and shared. And maybe, just maybe a few brews consumed?

Yup, youre in. We were going to call it "Sausage Fest" but it turns out @Biz-R-OWorld trademarked that term for his annual vacations with his boyz. @moog5050 served us a Cease and Desist inside of 24 hours

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Wow lamb casings are a pain!  But they look good.  5 lbs of Sicilian sausage and 5 lbs of hot pepper and cheddar headed to the smoker tomorrow.  
9FBF96A8-BEAF-48CE-901E-537B1E6701CE.thumb.jpeg.fada2ae6c90a62386f00087e50565ce4.jpeg
2F57C9F8-6A7B-446D-8E4E-E4FD276E1B50.thumb.jpeg.97679505735bdfa229b5cd02863addcf.jpeg
Lamb casings are a pain. But worth the trouble, especially for whole rings for summer grilling.

After stuffing few thousand pounds of them it gets easier....

41 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Lamb casings are a pain. But worth the trouble, especially for whole rings for summer grilling.

After stuffing few thousand pounds of them it gets easier....

Yea... today just wasn’t my day with them. I should’ve either ground the meat finer or found a slightly bigger stuffing tube.   My 2.5 year old helper didn’t make it any easier... but at least she had fun. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got started on some venison sausage. I  cubed up my last deer and froze it in 3-4 lb pkgs. Bought a 9lb pork butt and boned it out, froze it in 2-3 lb pkgs. I figured it would be a good mix of venison to pork? I ground up 2 pkgs of venison and 2 of pork mixing it as I ground it. The meat was still pretty frozen but I  wanted it real cold. Worked great, and looks like a good mix. 

I made half into pepper sticks with cheddar cheese. And the rest breakfast sausage.  I used some for a breakfast pizza,  some bulk, and fried up the rest as patties for quick breakfast Sammies. Got the sticks in my smoker with a roast for pastrami. I love trying this stuff. Can't wait for the Academy "Sausage Fest"!!

20210115_153328.jpg

20210115_155624.jpg

20210116_115917.jpg

20210116_121849.jpg

20210116_124629.jpg

• Like 7

Looks awesome! What type of wood for the smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure what Taco used but I am addicted to Pecan lately for venison especially....not overly potent like mesquite or hickory (if you overdo it) but a touch stronger than the fruit woods

• Like 1

10 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

I’m not sure what Taco used but I am addicted to Pecan lately for venison especially....not overly potent like mesquite or hickory (if you overdo it) but a touch stronger than the fruit woods

I've been mixing apple and hickory but was thinking last weekend I want to try pecan. 

11 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

I used a mix of apple and hickory. I thought it would be a good combo of sweet and smoky flavors. I also have some cherry but chose to hold off on the cherry for now. Next time, we'll see? It was good for the snack sticks, I haven't sliced into the pastrami yet.

30 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Can we get the recipe for the pastrami? I'm in the process of brining corned venison. Would i brine it in the same brine then add the seasoning?

All I did was brine the roast for 7 days, then rinsed it off and set it uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry. Then I  just peppered it and put it in the smoker. No additional seasoning or brining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

All I did was brine the roast for 7 days, then rinsed it off and set it uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry. Then I  just peppered it and put it in the smoker. No additional seasoning or brining.

What brine recipe did you use? I did a few venison roasts as a traditional "Ham" last year and it came out wonderful. 

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

BBQ Bourbon Glazed venison HAM

INGREDIENTS

5 lbs boned venison hind roast (s)

Brine:

-1 tablespoons pickling spice

– 1 Cups brown sugar

– 1 Cups Kosher salt

– 4 Tablespoons Prague Powder #1

– 2 cloves garlic

– 1 Tablespoon of coarse  ground black pepper

– 1 crushed bay leaf

– ½ gallons of water

Glaze:

– 1 Cup favorite BBQ sauce

– 2 Tablespoons brown sugar

– 1/2 Cup of your favorite bourbon

– 1/4 Cup jalapeno juice

DIRECTIONS

Bring to a boil – 1Tablespoons pickling spice, 1 Cups brown sugar, 1 Cups Kosher salt, 2 Tablespoons Prague Powder #1, 2 cloves garlic , and your favorite steak rub. In a half gallon of water. Let boil for 10 minutes then chill to 38 degrees.

Buy a meat basting syringe and inject the chilled brine throughout the meat.

Submerge the ham in the brine, be sure to use a plastic, non metal container, and refrigerate for 6 days making sure the meat is fully covered.

Now your ready for smoking!

Slow smoke for about 4 hours using a wood of your choice, at 140 to 200 degrees. When the internal temp nears 140 begin to add the finishing glaze. Brush the glaze on the meat, repeat several times until internal temp is 155 degrees.

• Like 3