Homemade venison sausage

NYBowhunter

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Chef said:

Made some sweet Italian, some parsley cheese and breakfast all are half venison half pork

24e2e656e6a63ea2086a8eb8b3f3189c.jpg
17536c61e71ff145c13ddcce21faf755.jpg
9c4521c47d077d6048d1d27e420521df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look great Chef !   If they are all the same 1/2 pork 1/2 venison mix what makes them different . Just the spices ?   

Have you made any sausages with beef suet or beef hamburger mixed with venison .Or that doesn't mix well with venison .

They look great Chef !   If they are all the same 1/2 pork 1/2 venison mix what makes them different . Just the spices ?   
Have you made any sausages with beef suet or beef hamburger mixed with venison .Or that doesn't mix well with venison .

Yes the seasoning is what changes. I do not generally mix venison and beef. The venison is too lean and the beef does not have enough fat to compensate for it. The sausage will generally wind up dry

My buddy gets his ground venison mixed with beef fat (not ground beef) instead of pork fat. I don’t see a tremendous difference in consistency when beef fat is used. Taste is, well, beefier and not as bacon-ish - not saying that’s good or bad...just saying.

• 9 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 7:40 AM, Chef said:

Jalapeño cheddar after smoking 713e363452ffdaafe1d3f2566ea21fd4.jpg
40f605c354055835d52aebda8347645a.jpg

I'm planning to try making cheddar jalapeno sausage this weekend.  I'll be using deer shoulder and pork belly. Any tips or advice you can share?

• Like 1

I'm planning to try making cheddar jalapeno sausage this weekend.  I'll be using deer shoulder and pork belly. Any tips or advice you can share?

I used regular cheddar instead of high heat cheese which scares me!!! As a result you really need to keep your heat down to not melt it. Cherry/pecan wood is what I used and liked it

• Like 2

Umm use high temp cheese and don’t grind it…also cook a patty before stuffing to ensure you are happy with the heat

• Like 1

I used regular cheddar instead of high heat cheese which scares me!!! As a result you really need to keep your heat down to not melt it. Cherry/pecan wood is what I used and liked it

It’s just extremely low fat cheese

11 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've been thinking of making a chorizo and roasted red pepper sausage.  Prob a winter project.

I made a hot Italian, chorizo and pepper-onion sausages last weekend. All came out amazing. I used the recipe for the chorizo from the Meateater cookbook. It calls for two kinds of chili power i disnt have. I just doubled with regular chili powder. Highly recommend. The pepper and onion and Italian sausage i used a pre mix from a local menonite grocery store. Both were better than expected.

16335BDA-CCA2-4B65-A1B6-95AD6DFF320C.jpeg

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I made a hot Italian, chorizo and pepper-onion sausages last weekend. All came out amazing. I used the recipe for the chorizo from the Meateater cookbook. It calls for two kinds of chili power i disnt have. I just doubled with regular chili powder. Highly recommend. The pepper and onion and Italian sausage i used a pre mix from a local menonite grocery store. Both were better than expected.

16335BDA-CCA2-4B65-A1B6-95AD6DFF320C.jpeg

I use spices from one of the Amish stores here often. I like their cracked pepper - which i use and also add jalepenos, their smoked sausage spices are good too. 

Walton's has some great sausage spices too.  

Love trying some new ones.  This year I have a foothills moonshine mix I got from Waltons I'm gonna try as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not venison just pork but made 14lbs of foothills moonshine breakfast sausage and 11 lbs of cracked pepper and jalapeno.  

Will patty the breakfast and case the jalapeno tomorrow.  

Only put one deer in the freezer this year so just making regular sausage as my ground went all to making a bunch of bacon burgers.  

IMG_20220101_081750325.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Anybody have a recipe  for a good southern style breakfast sausage? 

Try here. https://www.waltonsinc.com/breakfast-sausage-seasoning

They have listed here a southern breakfast sausage spice pack.   I haven't used that particular one but have bought a few from them and they are good. Its where I got the foothills moonshine mix to try this year.  

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Try here. https://www.waltonsinc.com/breakfast-sausage-seasoning

They have listed here a southern breakfast sausage spice pack.   I haven't used that particular one but have bought a few from them and they are good. Its where I got the foothills moonshine mix to try this year.  

Thanks for the info I may look into it . 

I'm looking for an actual recipe. We use to use a season packet from Eastmans.  Haven't found any in the last 3 years.  Tried some different packets and haven't been satisfied.  Biggest thing is we don't like the licorice  flavor most put in it .  Not sure if its anise seed or what.

I'm looking for an actual recipe. We use to use a season packet from Eastmans.  Haven't found any in the last 3 years.  Tried some different packets and haven't been satisfied.  Biggest thing is we don't like the licorice  flavor most put in it .  Not sure if its anise seed or what.

Try this one if using venison
:

https://www.food.com/recipe/venison-breakfast-sausage-337976

• Thanks 1

The only packet breakfast sausage that I like is from the sausage maker in Buffalo… I’ll take a pic of a recipe for you this afternoon if I forget by 6pm remind me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Makes sense. I often use a base on spices but add in stuff to my taste.  The cracked pepper and jalepeno I make is a mix of things.  I use a cracked pepper mix from local Amish store but add in diced jalapenos, 1/2 bottle of green Tabasco, diced garlic and onion powder.  Usually comes out great. 

The foothills moonshine I used a mix but added some dried cranberries and some applesauce.  

Just did a test pattie of each and they seem good to go.