Shot Help

bfahy13

Did something a little tough today. Ran into the woods with no phone or flashlight for an afternoon. Shot a lead doe at 40 yards, in the exact spot I have shot deer before. She hoped and ran 10 yards and stopped. The other 10 deer all took off like bandits. She then proceeded to stand in the area for 20 mins just walking around. I had no way to look for an arrow or blood as it was dark when I got down. I know the info is very poor, but I’ve never shot a deer that didn’t run, and never spooked a group of deer that one didn’t run. Anything here make you think I may have hit the deer? Going to look first thing in the morning. 

I think I'd wait a couple hours and go take a peek........if you hit her, trail her a bit and see WTF you have.  If it doesn't look like a good hit, come back in the am.  

If you find your arrow with no blood and can completely rule out a hit tonight, you can sleep in tomorrow.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

I plan to try to get back out there tonight. I’m just baffled by the fact that every other deer left the area and she only went 15 yards and just hung out without acting crazy. I have seen this happen one time before, and it was a gut shot buck mid rut. Just keep trying to go over the shot in my head. 

• Like 1

Just a guess....but little to no reaction is gut or liver. Early on in my bow hunting adventures I shot back pretty far back.....never moved my pin as it took a step. Complete pass through at 15 yards and it just kept walking and laid down. I had no freaking clue what just happened......ended up flinging numerous arrows at it and then waited till it expired.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just a guess....but little to no reaction is gut or liver. Early on in my bow hunting adventures I shot back pretty far back.....never moved my pin as it took a step. Complete pass through at 15 yards and it just kept walking and laid down. I had no freaking clue what just happened......ended up flinging numerous arrows at it and then waited till it expired.

I’m praying. She eventually blew at me and just went down the hill to a creek. But never took off the way the others went. I always want to cleanly harvest, however I also would love to recover it if possible. 

She blew at you?  This would make me think a miss. And if she stood around there for 20 minutes and you couldn't see blood on her. 

But I have gut shot one before and it just walked away slowly.  Also the biggest buck I ever got hit it with Xbow and it slowly walked away and went down in 50 yards. 

If no yotes i would wait til daylight , if yotes are an issue there I prob look tonight at least for sign. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

She blew at you?  This would make me think a miss.
But I have gut shot one before and it just walked away slowly.  Also the biggest buck I ever got hit it with Xbow and it slowly walked away and went down in 50 yards. 
If no yotes i would wait til daylight , if yotes are an issue there I prob look tonight at least for sign. 
There really can't be a piece of land in this state that doesn't hold a dedent yote population now a days....even fox will make a mess of the rear end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

There really can't be a piece of land in this state that doesn't hold a dedent yote population now a days....even fox will make a mess of the rear end.

This is probably true. So many of them around.  Gut shots are the worst.  Cause you have to wait and it's an easy track and smell for yotes to pickup. 

14 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I hunt southern westchester. Have had cams out for 7 months. Only seen 2 all year on the cams. I’m praying it’s in there when I get up there to look 

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

She blew at you?  This would make me think a miss. And if she stood around there for 20 minutes and you couldn't see blood on her. 

Yes. When she blew that totally caused my opinion to change. But I’ve also never seen a group of deer run and one stay. Especially when that is the one I shot at. Just puzzling. 

Fixed blade or mechanical.  I recall shooting a doe with a fixed blade slick trick that just kept feeding until she fell over but it wasn’t long.   If she ain’t busting out on a mechanical, I am betting it was a clean miss.   But you will know soon.  Good luck. 

Edited by moog5050

I had a doe do the exact same thing last year(also in 3S-coincidentally). Ended up being a liver shot. Dead 20 yards down a hill when I returned 6 hours later.

Pm if you want some help tracking- sounds like we are in the same area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She blew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shot a buck too far forward with a ML.  Tracked him for hours in fresh snow.  Jumped him from a bed and he blew at me.  I stopped there for 30 mins and then shot him dead as he got out of his next bed.  

If she didn't leave with the other deer, I expect you hit her back.  Good luck with the search.

Edited by stubborn1VT
clarification