Anyone use the Moultrie cellular camera

luberhill

People want a $400+ cam for $100. That has been my experience; it's a weird consumer trend in the cell space. Likely brought on in past two years as hunters who buy bargain cams (WGI, lower end Moultrie, etc.) enter the cell cam market. Nothing wrong with staying within budget but the market just isn't at the point where cheap cell cams are bullet proof en masse.

Every cam under the top tier sacrifices some performance or reliability feature. Pro and Con list.

Do the latest firmware update on the Reveal to help with sensing. Moultrie is no better or no worse big picture, just a different Pro/Con list. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phade said:

People want a $400+ cam for $100. That has been my experience; it's a weird consumer trend in the cell space. Likely brought on in past two years as hunters who buy bargain cams (WGI, lower end Moultrie, etc.) enter the cell cam market. Nothing wrong with staying within budget but the market just isn't at the point where cheap cell cams are bullet proof en masse.

Every cam under the top tier sacrifices some performance or reliability feature. Pro and Con list.

Do the latest firmware update on the Reveal to help with sensing. Moultrie is no better or no worse big picture, just a different Pro/Con list. 

who is in the top tier? 

2 hours ago, phade said:

Any idea on how to do the latest firmware update ? And how new is it ?

Another big thing I have found (and this goes for all cams, not just cell) is the batteries.  It might say you have full batteries, but the sensing and trigger speeds will slow especially when it gets cold.  I only use lithium batteries and even with them it happens, you put fresh batteries in them and the trigger speeds and sensing goes right back to normal.

• Like 3

Agree with Rack attack and Phade 100%.
If you buy a 100 dollar cam you have to expect to work through a few kinks. I am running a few Spypoints and they get the job done but require some attention at times. Firmware updates and proper cards are key.....along with using lithium batteries.
Also don't trust the battery reading or temp in these budget cams.......just isn't an accurate measure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 10:53 AM, Rack Attack said:

Another big thing I have found (and this goes for all cams, not just cell) is the batteries.  It might say you have full batteries, but the sensing and trigger speeds will slow especially when it gets cold.  I only use lithium batteries and even with them it happens, you put fresh batteries in them and the trigger speeds and sensing goes right back to normal.

Yeah, this is good advice.  I used to have problems with cams in the cold and also with my GPS.  I switched to the lithium batteries and it is much, much better.