Creek crossing construction concepts

So what are some suggestions for making an ATV crossing in a spot like this using whatever is around (cedar pines, piles of shale, decent large rocks). The creek is about 10’ across.

dcf0859ccaad862f38502c21b75c1d7c.jpg

Any pics of what you have out there already would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Culvercreek hunt club helped me build a bridge for such a crossing.  Used a 14” diameter oak to span both sides (approx 15’ span).   Then used pressure treated 2x10 spaced out for the bridge.   Worked well.  Dig out where cross pieces sit and put 2x10 pressure treated below so tree is not sitting on dirt.  Used chainsaw to flatten cross pieces as needed.   The oak is freaking heavy!

• Like 1

Deleted - See its ATV.  Im with Moog if you can get pressure treated in there thats the way to go. Lot of work to do otherwise that prob wont last.   Dont want to block the water cause it will just either move, wear away or go around if you just drop trees and rocks etc, so that means over it and straight cut stuff is gonna be a lot easier 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Culver calculated the load and it took at least 6x6” pressure treated for cross members and even that was questionable.  My recollection is that we would need 3 6x6 15’ long. .   That’s why we used the big oak tree.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Leave spacing between 2x10 for snow and water.  I spaced them 4” apart.   I also built up some guardrails  about 6” high with 4x4” just so ATV wouldn’t accidentally veer off.    My daughter got a bit nervous without the guardrails as it was 5’ wide for a 4’ wide ATV.  Seems plenty but not a lot of extra room.  

I put one over a 5' wide creek - I used 3 8' PT 4X4's, running the two outside 4x4's in line where the atv tires would travel across. I then used deck board. While it works, I would have preferred 2x10's as Moog explained. It is just what I had on hand. Guardrails are also must in my opinion.

I also did not have to worry about flooding during the construction.     

39 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That’s the big fear.  Wasn’t so much for us as our creek never gets near the height of the top of the bank.  

My buddy has a solid bridge with concrete blocks on both sides with I beams and rail road ties and it's no match for a good rain storm ,I've helped him wrangle rail road ties and pull them back up stream a couple times ,it sucks.