Creek crossing construction concepts

If you use oak, white will last longer than red.  Old telephone poles work even better for the main beams, if you can find some.   I would use 3, one under each side, and one under the center.   We made a few snowmobile crossings this way, and they lasted quite a few years.  I even drove my Ford 8n with loaded rear tires across the three pole one several times.

14 minutes ago, escpen said:

It’s probably about a 12-15 foot span. Yes, just 4 wheelers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put them on some sort of treated cribbing on either end about them under where the tires will run (about 4' on center. They'll work fine and be very rot resistant. of you have any potential for heavy flow that could wash it down stream, I suggest cabling it to a tree on either end. 

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Put them on some sort of treated cribbing on either end about them under where the tires will run (about 4' on center. They'll work fine and be very rot resistant. of you have any potential for heavy flow that could wash it down stream, I suggest cabling it to a tree on either end. 

See the engineer!

My buddies in Montana , put on waders to fetch them from across the river , they build a fire first as it’s often below 15 degrees . No Uber for deer there . 

I went home for waders and floated one out a couple years ago, but it wasn't that cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dad and I dragged a bunch across this public land stream with waders. Only a few feet deep, but was always annoying and slippery, especially when really cold. no ATV’s allowed on public land anyway around here so you have no choice but to keep waders in the car always.

86ded729336e8314f5ad798e1df8b36b.jpg800e3b4f6e0991dc1535963cb35fcb41.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Dad and I dragged a bunch across this public land stream with waders. Only a few feet deep, but was always annoying and slippery, especially when really cold. no ATV’s allowed on public land anyway around here so you have no choice but to keep waders in the car always.

86ded729336e8314f5ad798e1df8b36b.jpg800e3b4f6e0991dc1535963cb35fcb41.jpg

Great pic of your Dad

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That reminds me of the ditch that runs near the back of our place.  It usually runs about 2 ft deep, during deer season, and about 8 ft wide.  I have a productive stand about 20 yards from it, and have killed severel deer (and one fall hen turkey) that were on the other side when shot.

All but one of the deer dropped dead across the water.  Getting them over to my side often involved at least one wet foot.  I dont want to build a bridge across it, because that invites tresspassers.  The year after my last soaker, on a freezing cold day in 2017, I propped up a 16" wide, 12' long, white oak plank against a tree near the stand. 

Now, I can just lay that plank across the dich, and walk high and dry over to the "kill", no matter how high the water is in the ditch.  I have not tried it yet on a deer however.   

I didn't need it on the turkey either.  She flew up into a tree on my side, after taking my load of #5's.  A couple pellets must have caught her lungs, because she soon splashed down near shore on my side where I finished her with a point-blank head shot.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, escpen said:

I have a similar crossing that I’d like to put in and was thinking about using telephone poles as the main support. Has anyone used them for this type of application?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on a lease where we built 3 bridges in 3 years. We used telephone poles for 2 of the years. We stacked pallets about six feet high on each end of the bridge and placed 2 telephone poles as support beams, and used more pallets as the bridge decking. Then ramps were built on each end. I wish I had some picture, then again these were not works of art.

The creek banks there were about 4 feet high, so the bridge deck was about 10 feet off of the water. The span was perhaps 30 feet long. We used it as a foot bridge, traction was sketchy with a heavy frost or snow. Each Spring the creek would remove our efforts and we would start over. One year one of our group obtained support beams from a single wide mobile home and we cabled them on end end. Mother nature was not impressed. 

• Like 1

My friends land has a deep ravine to cross to get to his back 20. They used a mobile home frame as a bridge. Just decked it with some pressure treated. No worries of it washing out, it's plenty high over the water. Maybe you could find an older camping trailer frame to span yours.

• Like 1

At my buddy's house in Pa we built a bridge by using 3 steel I beams. The 2 outside beams had a web of 12" the center beam had a 6" web. The 2 outside beams because of the height acted as guard rails. The center beam matched the 6x6 ties we used.  Slid them down the I beams in the web at 1/2" spacing. We drove our trucks and  a backhoe on it with no issues. It was a 8 ton bridge easy. The creek to cross was 12` so we got 15` footers. The creek was 3` deep but the top of the water was 3 feet down. The upside was we found the steel on Craigslist. All easy material to get. Sorry no pictures my buddy sold the place a few years ago. I can draw a schematic if you need one. Had 100% complete in under 2 days