Family/hunting dog?

Swamp_bucks

So I've got permission from the wife to start looking for a new dog.  I really want a purebred hunting breed or if someone knows of a decent mix that will do well as both.  I dont care if it comes from a champion blood line but it has to be a family pet first hunter second.  

So I've got it narrowed down to a handful of breeds: golden retriever,basset hound,springer spaniel,lab, and a beagle(which my wife doesn't want).  We dont want a huge dog looking at small/medium size.  

The one I keep looking at the most is a springer spaniel my wifes sister knows a local breeder so that helps also.  It was the basset at one point but the drooling has me a little hesitant and there stubbornness.

Like I said main purpose is family dog first then hopefully try and get it trained to hunt grouse and maybe rabbits.  

I know theres a thread on hunting dogs just figured I would make my own.  To get some help figuring it out. Thanks for the input.  

I would say Golden Retriever but i am biased. Can't think of a better family dog and they are smart so you can train them. If you did go that route i would shoot a lot around him when he is a puppy. My old boy that passed was scared to death of loud noises. The Golden i have now could careless if you blasted a shotgun next too his ear.....

• Like 1

Go with a Coon hound. I have 2 Red Tick Coons. Great with other dogs and most time cats. Loves kids and adults. A real people pleaser. Very food motivated so easy to train. First time my younger one saw the lake he ran and jumped in. They will track anything and stay on point from raccoons, rabbits and ducks. But they prefer to play fetch in the back yard or lay you on the couch and take a nap. Mine are both rescues and we spoil them 

• Like 1

I would love a cocker...basically a flushing breed, nice size, friendly and playful, but the dang hair....Being a flusher they stay closer than alot of the breeds, but they can still get birdy and disappear on you. One of the biggest reason I stay with Rotties...(it may sound odd, but my Rotties are alot of fun in the field. Not breed for hunting, but they have a pretty good nose for birds and flush pretty good...and stay close. I would never recommend them with small kids though only because they can be clumsy and are so strong.

• Like 1

I'm a lab guy for sure, good disposition, temperament and loving animals. They are know for trainability and most have a good family personality. I take several hours choosing a pup for my tastes, a good breeder will know how to help you select a dog for your needs.

Just my suggestion if your going to have a dog; obtain one from a reputable breeder, check all health clearances, eye certifications, references and hips/elbows cleared. I have studded out my male and had to have a slew of clearances before breeding as a responsible owner; it's was expensive and a puppy with all the assurances attached from a breeder is a worthy cost. I know of some who obtain dogs from breeders and have health issues early on or had to euthanize their animal.

I know reputable lab breeders and trainers if you wish to pm me. 

Skeet.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Are you looking for feedback only on the breeds that you mentioned? Or are you open to other breeds that check your boxes? I rave about my Mountain Feist. He's not listed, but checks all your boxes. If you're interested, I can post more info and pix.

I'm open to others those are just the ones I've been looking into the most.  That's another reason for the post maybe theres a dog breed I'm just not aware of that may suit my needs.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Beagles are the worst ,cure as hell but good luck ever having one actually come back to you once they pick up a scent ,far too headstrong . I like a dog i can trust around the yard off leash.

My wife had one growing up and she said all she did was have to look for it and it barked all day long.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I would say Golden Retriever but i am biased. Can't think of a better family dog and they are smart so you can train them. If you did go that route i would shoot a lot around him when he is a puppy. My old boy that passed was scared to death of loud noises. The Golden i have now could careless if you blasted a shotgun next too his ear.....

I had one growing up also and loved that dog.  She didnt like a car door slamming let alone a gun going off.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I'm open to others those are just the ones I've been looking into the most.  That's another reason for the post maybe theres a dog breed I'm just not aware of that may suit my needs.

Prior to owning one, I hadn't heard of the breed. It turns out most people up here (including my vet) aren't aware of the breed. They're not AKC recognized, but they are recognized by the UKC and some other organization. They were bred down South in the Appalachians for squirrel hunting. 

They only get to be about 25 pounds total, short hair and don't shed much. Wicked smart, super friendly, great with kids and other dogs. He's calm inside the house, and when you let him outside, it's like a switch turns on. He loves to run and play. They're hard wired to chase fur like a beagle, but not stubborn. Also, he doesn't bark unless there's a knock at the door, or he has a squirrel treed. 

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

• Like 5

I had three springers and they were all great family dogs and good hunters also.... Medium size and very family oriented...

Cockers used to be very nice dogs, but in recent years  breeding for the pet trade has produced a snippy, nasty little dog...

I have no experience with field bred cockers, but as I understand it, they  are much better temperament  than the pet/show bred ones...

The cockers I hunted over 50 years ago were nice dogs and great hunters...The ones I have encountered ( as pets) over the last 25 years or so were mostly unpleasant, snappy little bastards..  A number of breeds are similar....Standard poodles are very pleasant, wonderful dogs,  but the minature abominations that the pet trade has bred ( and some people consider CUTE) should all be gathered into a huge burlap bag and sunk in the middle of Seneca lake..

I'd go with the springer....

A friend of mine has a golden doodle, and he is an extremely pleasant, calm demeanored  and very intelligent dog, but he is BIG..

My friend is not a hunter, so I have no idea about the dog's abilities in the field.....Goldens and standard poodles  are both excellent hunting breeds, and both have great dispositions, so the cross should hunt...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Prior to owning one, I hadn't heard of the breed. It turns out most people up here (including my vet) aren't aware of the breed. They're not AKC recognized, but they are recognized by the UKC and some other organization. They were bred down South in the Appalachians for squirrel hunting. 

They only get to be about 25 pounds total, short hair and don't shed much. Wicked smart, super friendly, great with kids and other dogs. He's calm inside the house, and when you let him outside, it's like a switch turns on. He loves to run and play. They're hard wired to chase fur like a beagle, but not stubborn. Also, he doesn't bark unless there's a knock at the door, or he has a squirrel treed. 

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

Hes pretty.  Looks like I have a new one to add to the list.  That matches just about everything I want.

• Like 2

I moved away from NY almost 8 years ago and still love to follow this forum. I had to reset my password to post here. If you have not looked into a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon they may be something of interest to you. We have an 8 year old. Had we not moved when he was a pup I would have hunted over him but life happened and that was no longer an option. However, this breed is known as  a versatile gun dog meaning they will point, flush, chase fur, deer search, retrieve, etc. as in you could hunt ducks in the morning with this guy in the blind then use him to find a deer in the afternoon. Unfortunately I never got to work with this guy in the field but I know I will never own another breed. He is fantastic with people and kids and super smart. Good luck in your search should be a fun one. 

• Like 1

r1.thumb.jpg.1250aa6b83945e40718ad6982633d72a.jpg
r2.thumb.jpg.a6b6cdeef2dd31061437a7fbd214bf75.jpg
r3.thumb.jpg.1f9a91aed1495b83b3a056723e67e598.jpg

Do you mind sharing where you got your dog from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk