Family/hunting dog?

Swamp_bucks

2 hours ago, Bolt action said:

PM if you want any more info. I can't say enough good things about them. If you decide to go this route, the hard part may be finding one. I drove down to Cuba to get this one. I haven't heard of any other breeders locally, not that I've done much looking.

If that is the dog I choose you'll be the first person I contact for more info.

• Like 1

If you are thinking Springer, I will throw out my Brittany as it’s “pointing” counterpart.
Such a great family dog who would get all business when he saw the blaze vest come out (and all pissed when he saw my bow case!). Smart, tough, patient, loving dog...miss him a bunch

91f9d2d3abaf1473004504128b5b6380.jpg

a354ea84a14062cc425f96e1ef776d0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

So I've got it narrowed down to a handful of breeds: golden retriever,basset hound,springer spaniel,lab, and a beagle(which my wife doesn't want).  We dont want a huge dog looking at small/medium size.  

The one I keep looking at the most is a springer spaniel my wifes sister knows a local breeder so that helps also.   

That's a fairly mixed list and none would be considered small. Bassett is a big dog with little legs. 

I usually tell people to narrow from size > coat > energy level. That said, if Springers catch your eye you may want to explore them but I would be careful of selecting a dog because of breeder proximity. 

Look at the Brittany and for something a little more rare, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. 

image.thumb.png.a78112847e591642fe9a42b34d2ede48.png

Good luck.

• Like 3

Another vote for a Brittany, both as a hunting dog and a family pet.  Sweet, obedient, tenacious in the field, a great overall hunting dog.  I would not classify then as a water dog, but they will take to water if trained early.  There is a very good breeder in Rochester that has strong hunting lines.  I’ve had two of his dogs and love them.  They are the perfect  “medium” size too.

7035ca5403925a6c2492c28c716cd486.jpg3d6f0e53508e05a651604fd2f14e24cc.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, escpen said:

Do you mind sharing where you got your dog from?

Honestly, I saw an ad online with cute puppy pictures and called on it. A few years prior to this I surprised the wife with a GSP puppy. Aweseome dog, but more energy than she could tolerate in the house. I learned a valuable life lesson from that one and ended up finding a more appropriate home for that pup. So when I showed her the ad online with these cute Mountain Feist puppies, it was more me testing the waters than anything else. To my surprise, she went along with it. So I called the guy and he gave me some info on the breed's temperament. He was based in Cuba, NY and had traveled to Kentucky and Tennessee a few years prior to pick up the Sire and Dam. Both were UKC registered and any pups bought from him came with paperwork if you cared to register them. So we drove down with our son an surprised him by letting him pick out a puppy. The guy was real nice. He only had the one breeding pair, and this was their second litter. This was all back in July, 2019 and I haven't been in touch with him since. If anyone is interested in pursuing this, I'll reach out to him to see if he still lives in the area, still has dogs, and has any future litters planned.

1 minute ago, Bolt action said:

Honestly, I saw an ad online with cute puppy pictures and called on it. A few years prior to this I surprised the wife with a GSP puppy. Aweseome dog, but more energy than she could tolerate in the house. I learned a valuable life lesson from that one and ended up finding a more appropriate home for that pup. So when I showed her the ad online with these cute Mountain Feist puppies, it was more me testing the waters than anything else. To my surprise, she went along with it. So I called the guy and he gave me some info on the breed's temperament. He was based in Cuba, NY and had traveled to Kentucky and Tennessee a few years prior to pick up the Sire and Dam. Both were UKC registered and any pups bought from him came with paperwork if you cared to register them. So we drove down with our son an surprised him by letting him pick out a puppy. The guy was real nice. He only had the one breeding pair, and this was their second litter. This was all back in July, 2019 and I haven't been in touch with him since. If anyone is interested in pursuing this, I'll reach out to him to see if he still lives in the area, still has dogs, and has any future litters planned.

I am definitely interested in pursuing it - thank you for your help with this!

Are you looking for feedback only on the breeds that you mentioned? Or are you open to other breeds that check your boxes? I rave about my Mountain Feist. He's not listed, but checks all your boxes. If you're interested, I can post more info and pix.

Don’t want to hi-jack the thread but the feist is in the top 3 of dogs I’m looking at. How is it with food is it alway chasing it’s next meal or begging for food when your eating? That and crotch sniffing turn me off with dogs.

16 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Don’t want to hi-jack the thread but the feist is in the top 3 of dogs I’m looking at. How is it with food is it alway chasing it’s next meal or begging for food when your eating? That and crotch sniffing turn me off with dogs.

He's 18 months at this point, so mostly full grown. We give him a scoop (+/- 3/4 cup) in the morning and at night. He never begs for food between feedings. When we are eating, we crate him. It's only about 30 minutes and removes temptation for anyone to thrown him a scrap or create bad habits. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

He's 18 months at this point, so mostly full grown. We give him a scoop (+/- 3/4 cup) in the morning and at night. He never begs for food between feedings. When we are eating, we crate him. It's only about 30 minutes and removes temptation for anyone to thrown him a scrap or create bad habits. 

It's all in the training.  Our Brit does not beg, my daughters beagle only does when we are done eating. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Prior to owning one, I hadn't heard of the breed. It turns out most people up here (including my vet) aren't aware of the breed. They're not AKC recognized, but they are recognized by the UKC and some other organization. They were bred down South in the Appalachians for squirrel hunting. 

They only get to be about 25 pounds total, short hair and don't shed much. Wicked smart, super friendly, great with kids and other dogs. He's calm inside the house, and when you let him outside, it's like a switch turns on. He loves to run and play. They're hard wired to chase fur like a beagle, but not stubborn. Also, he doesn't bark unless there's a knock at the door, or he has a squirrel treed. 

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

I stumbled across this post and I’m pretty sure we have the brother to your dog! We picked him up July of 2019 in Cuba! I have to agree; he is the most amazing family dog! He has a mild temperament, only barks if there is a knock, plays great with our kids and loves to cuddle! My sister has one from their first litter and her boyfriend has one from our dog Scout’s litter. They’re such beautiful, well behaved dogs!! 

ACA72505-AE51-48C6-8AED-48D1752200AD.jpeg

22C9E08C-9BA4-4A1C-A4F4-63E8F4666F51.jpeg

Edited by Scout
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scout said:

I stumbled across this post and I’m pretty sure we have the brother to your dog! We picked him up July of 2019 in Cuba! I have to agree; he is the most amazing family dog! He has a mild temperament, only barks if there is a knock, plays great with our kids and loves to cuddle! My sister has one from their first litter and her boyfriend has one from our dog Scout’s litter. They’re such beautiful, well behaved dogs!! 

ACA72505-AE51-48C6-8AED-48D1752200AD.jpeg

22C9E08C-9BA4-4A1C-A4F4-63E8F4666F51.jpeg

WOW. That's fanstastic. Wait til I show my kid the pictures of your pups. 

I just spoke to the guy. He literally had 6 pups ready to go just before Christmas. He sold all 6 in one day. 

9 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

WOW. That's fanstastic. Wait til I show my kid the pictures of your pups. 

I just spoke to the guy. He literally had 6 pups ready to go just before Christmas. He sold all 6 in one day. 

Aww, my in-laws are interested in one! He’s the only breeder I know of in this area. Maybe they're planning another litter for the early summer!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, left field said:

Those feists look very basenji.

image.png.8c2c9958c640d4c329669c092d87b6a9.png

Also not a bad choice. But a very unusual breed - barkless, independent, a little aloof with strangers. Hell on small game animals. 

An acquaintance of mine (friend of a friend) has a couple of Basenji's.  Hard to train because they're very stubborn and independent.  Great dogs but I'm not so sure they make for good hunting dogs.

15 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I'll reach out to him today and PM you after with more info.

Mind if I get the breeders info too?  While I'm at least a year away from getting a dog, mountain feist, rat terrier, and the basenji are 3 on my list too.  Guess we all think alike because those 3 seem to be dominating this thread.

7 hours ago, Elmo said:

Mind if I get the breeders info too?  While I'm at least a year away from getting a dog, mountain feist, rat terrier, and the basenji are 3 on my list too.  Guess we all think alike because those 3 seem to be dominating this thread.

I reached out to him. He had a litter ready just before Christmas. Sold all 6 pups in one day. Based on that, I'm not sure when the next litter would be. 

19 hours ago, Elmo said:

An acquaintance of mine (friend of a friend) has a couple of Basenji's.  Hard to train because they're very stubborn and independent.  Great dogs but I'm not so sure they make for good hunting dogs.

Depends on the hunting. Water retrieval, no. But running down rabbits, they're a pretty good breed.