Smoked Venison Jerky

NYBowhunter

2 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Sounds fantastic. I've made jerky, but never smoked it. Is it a cold smoke? 18 hours seems long for normal smoking temps around 225.

I smoke at 130-140 for 15 or 16 hours and last two to  three hours or so I bump temps up to 180. Slow cook with smoke makes for great Jerky. Can take more or less then 18 hours all depends on thickness of meat and how often you rotate the trays. 

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Master built electric with digital display. Plug,  set time/temps. and rotate trays every few hours. Great smoker, no babysitting.

Oh and don't need to worry if it gets dark outside and you have no light source nearby, it has an internal light that lights up the whole inside of the smoker.

4 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I might try this out. Last batch I made didn't cool all the way before I bagged it and the whole lot got fuzzy.

Even when they are cooled down and I bag them I will  place them in the fridge with the bag open. The salt content in my brine and the smoke helps to preserve the jerky alot better. Then again it doesn't last very long in my house...lol

I use a POS Big Chief smoker with non-controllable elect element. I fill the chip pan with a heaping load of damp applewood just one time. When that's gone, the unit is basically just a dehydrator. I like it to have a kiss of smoke, rather than taste like a burning house. About 10 hrs and done. I cut mine 1/4" - 3/8"  thick.

I use Hi Mountain, 1/2 Original, 1/2 Inferno mixed together.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1