Acorn activity

johnplav

This spot has never been hunted hard, and hasn't been hunted at all in at least 3 seasons, including this season.  I threw up a cheapo cam from Amazon (Wosports I got for $38) and let it sit from early August until late December.  I was surprised to find 3400+ pictures and the batteries still at 75%.  Pictures were decent quality.

Most of the action was early, since this is on an Oak ridge and there were tons of acorns this year and the does were hitting them hard.  There were a decent number of small bucks, but strangely, there were no buck pictures in daylight (even during rut).  When I hunt here next season, Ill try this stand in bow/muzzleloader for doe, and maybe hunt the thicker stuff for bucks.  I knew there were coyotes here, but I was shocked by the number of pictures I got, especially daytime.  I might need to try knocking a few down.  Also... as an added bonus I got a few pics of a bobcat.  

IMAG1575.JPG

IMAG0137.JPG

IMAG0501.JPG

IMAG0876.JPG

IMAG1104.JPG

IMAG1330.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Looks to open for daylight movement of mature buck, a nice timber thinning would help that a few brush piles for cover..

There is heavy cover on the property... overgrown orchards, cedar stands and acres of honeysuckle? (at least thats what we call it).  But yes... this ridge is very open.

This is an an area with low deer numbers (no DMPs ever, only 1-2 bucks taken per sq. mile, no Ag fields for miles).  I was actually surprised by the number of bucks, but if there's does around... I guess bucks will find them.

Edited by johnplav

7 minutes ago, johnplav said:

There is heavy cover on the property... overgrown orchards, cedar stands and acres of honeysuckle? (at least thats what we call it).  But yes... this ridge is very open.

This is an an area with low deer numbers (no DMPs ever, only 1-2 bucks taken per sq. mile, no Ag fields for miles).  I was actually surprised by the number of bucks, but if there's does around... I guess bucks will find them.

Honeysuckle is a desert not browsed and keeps regeneration of beneficial seedlings from growing creating browse.  been trying to eradicate it for few years here making steady headway. Same with ceder good winter cover but thats about it. , seems big draw is hard and or soft mast.  A bit of cover in thise hardwoods and you would have much more movement as well as food / browse to hold more deer. 

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Honeysuckle is a desert not browsed and keeps regeneration of beneficial seedlings from growing creating browse.  been trying to eradicate it for few years here making steady headway. Same with ceder good winter cover but thats about it. , seems big draw is hard and or soft mast.  A bit of cover in thise hardwoods and you would have much more movement as well as food / browse to hold more deer. 

Yea, honeysuckle is a pain.  We've found the best way to clear it is to wrap a cable around the base and rip them out with a tractor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Yea, honeysuckle is a pain.  We've found the best way to clear it is to wrap a cable around the base and rip them out with a tractor.

Actually they are 1st plant to leaf out along with multiflora rose. A simple spray of gly at 4 % lest me do about a half acre at time with a 2 gallon hand sprayer, this doenst disturb the soil and encourage hidden seeds to sprout. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...