Plum and Peach trees

This is more of a yard project then a qdma project but I had a few questions. 

Anybody have success with peach or plum trees? Is there a specific type you would recommend? How long till you were able to harvest fruit? 

I'm in orange county so the growing zone will support these trees but I'm not sure what direction I want to go. Also I'm thinking of purchasing 5-6' trees not whips.

I really want to spend the extra money and try Italian plum trees but I also don't want to waste space and money.

I have Peach Trees , bought them at  the local Nursery  / Garden Center .... they grow well but I still have to learn to prune properly ! We've had a few branches break off due to the weight of the Peaches but the Deer are out there ( back yard ) every night per Trail Cam and droppings everywhere ! The Peaches aren't bad either !

• Like 1

I have several peach, plum, cherry and apple trees here.  Some years are great, some I have nothing, so much depends on the spring time weather, and what the weather is close to picking time.

I would go for the 5’ trees, I think they have a higher survivability rate, and a fruit tree may take 4 or 5 years before it produces any significant crop.  Try to buy local if you can, check with some local orchards, they may sell you some.  I have bought some stock from Stark Brothers, they are pretty good.  

Basic needs are a spray for fungus and a spray for insects.  I use Bonide “Fruit Tree Spray”, which covers both.  The instructions are very simple, but there are basically four times to spray them, during dormancy, at budding, at flowering and at fruit set.  

You will want to fertilize too, either tree spikes, or drill holes into the ground at the drip line and fill with granular. 

I never did learn the proper way to prune trees, but I have only killed one so far from that.  I just cut off any dead or funky looking branches, plus any that are criss crossing, or any that are getting too far from the main trunk.  Different types of fruit trees need different pruning methods.  Google and read, and hope for the best, or get a pro to show you. (Wish my Father was still alive!) 

If you want to go organic you can.  I don’t have much experience with that.  It’s hard enough to get a decent crop to do anything with as it is.  

Good luck! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a peach tree in my in laws that grew from a pit that was tossed in the yard.. IT puts on a TON of fruit every year, and the tree is only 8 or 9 years old. Grows fast. IT puts on so much fruit it breaks branches and droops them to the ground every year. My grandfather in law "uses" the fallen fruit. and it is consumed quick lol.  

• Haha 1