Pope & Young Scoring Is In......

Lawdwaz

I had my archery buck scored last night by a local P&Y, B&C and NYBBC official.  The final score is 138 2/8".......I'll do the paper work today and send it in for both NYBBC and P&Y. 

Many aren't into record keeping of their animals and that's fine, it does give a number to those who might have an interest in the mass, tine length and spread.  Along with dressed weight and age of the bigger bucks I've killed, the "score" is just another interesting number for those that care.

Two other bucks I've shot qualified for NYBBC; one with the ML'r and one with the bow.  Many big bucks are spotted on trail cams each year but few are actually killed, where the hell they disappear to each fall is a mystery and exactly what keeps many here going.  I'm really not a trophy hunter but have been very fortunate to have killed some great bucks by letting smaller bucks walk and being out there in the woods each fall. I've been know to shoot a dink if the mood strikes me.....

I'd be curious to hear about (and see pics of) your officially scored bucks or bears!  How about Boone & Crockett animals??

IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.dca853cf84b717469dd07a530082dcd9.JPG387E69F9-19F3-4E6F-B6BF-098A06105FBF.thumb.jpeg.b20a7a14d5a5c2445b49942580ed42fa.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 30

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I had my archery buck scored last night by a local P&Y, B&C and NYBBC official.  The final score is 138 2/8".......I'll do the paper work today and send it in for both NYBBC and P&Y. 

Many aren't into record keeping of their animals and that's fine, it does give a number to those who might have an interest in the mass, tine length and spread.  Along with dressed weight and age of the bigger bucks I've killed, the "score" is just another interesting number for those that care.

Two other bucks I've shot qualified for NYBBC; one with the ML'r and one with the bow.  Many big bucks are spotted on trail cams each year but few are actually killed, where the hell they disappear to each fall is a mystery and exactly what keeps many here going.  I'm really not a trophy hunter but have been very fortunate to have killed some great bucks by letting smaller bucks walk and being out there in the woods each fall. I've been know to shoot a dink if the mood strikes me.....

I'd be curious to hear about (and see pics of) your officially scored bucks or bears!  How about Boone & Crockett animals??

IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.dca853cf84b717469dd07a530082dcd9.JPG387E69F9-19F3-4E6F-B6BF-098A06105FBF.thumb.jpeg.b20a7a14d5a5c2445b49942580ed42fa.jpeg

Beautiful. In what county did you harvest him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats again, Larry. A true P&Y whitetail in NY is absolutely awesome!

To answer your question about other animals, a few below for me:

• Shot a top 10 in the world bobcat at the time, now it fell back I think. It was measured by SCI since they include Bobcats in their record books. 9 and 10/16, and i boiled the skull and it shrunk, cost me a few spots by 1-2 /16's.
  • Shot a top 20 in the world Lynx at the time, but I think that one fell back as well. Also measured by SCI. 8 and 10/16, this time i had beetles clean it instead of boiling/shrinking
  •  
  • Shot a 170 2/8" mule deer , but B&C minimum is 180" typical
  • Shot a 73" antelope, but B&C minimum is 80"
  • Shot a 13" and change mountain lion, but B&C minimum is 14.5"
  • All 3 would have qualified for P&Y books, but I shot them with a gun lol
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Great buck Larry.   I assume that’s net.  What was gross?

I hate NET. why get penalized for extra bone? As a joke, I told Larry he should have chopped off the extra brow/abnormal point and he would have had less gross but more net!

• Like 3

That's a great deer. It just goes to show how much of an accomplishment that is. 140" class deer don't grow on trees.

I've never entered or had any of mine officially scored and not sure I will in the future. Scores are more of a curiosity thing for me and Jason usually does green score them for us mostly because the hunter with the largest scoring buck has to buy steaks for the annual pre-season dinner. I'm a bit screwed there this year so he doesn't need to score (if you're reading Jason, lol). Regardless of book bucks you've posted some dandies here that you knock down.

I only have 2 worth putting a tape to neither were officially scored and the one from this year was never scored at all. My 2018 Buck unofficial score was 130 and if I where to guess this years with would be around the 120 mark maybe a touch shy. 

140 is an absolute beast 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

To me that’s 147 2/8 as I think netting is a little silly myself but I haven’t entered either of the bucks I shot that qualify.  Congrats on a dandy. 

Exactly. To the point now of hardly taking pic’s let alone getting them scored to only be deducted.  Score means nothing to only be subtracted 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This thread inspired me to join P&Y today. I did a 4-year membership.

I’ve been to  original P&Y museum when it was in Northwest Archery outside of Seattle . My buddy was/is friends with the St. Charles family and in fact owns half of Glenn St.Charles work bench , and a number of his bow building tools .

https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/bhpy_founder_glenn_st_charles_passes092110/310765

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1