Pope & Young Scoring Is In......

Lawdwaz

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I still don't think it's what you're imagining. So you killed a 200" buck, who's going to pay you? A knockoff grunt call company ran out of a garage? I'm sure Primos isn't going to care about you. There's "professional hunters" on tv that have several 200" deer taken with bows? It's not like it was in the 80's. These deer are essentially farmed now in a lot of states, QDM participation has never been higher, deer are plentiful. Seemingly everything is televised, hunts have never been filmed more than now. You used to have to buy hunting vhs tapes to see big buck hunts, now I can watch 500 hrs of them on youtube for free anytime I want. I can see if you killed a buck that was truly a once in a century creature, but but anything up to that doesn't really add up to much. You'll be neighborhood and Instagram famous for a week then you're forgotten. Hell, a guy killed a 33pt freak of a buck 2 miles from my house a few years ago, the pic got spread around for a bit, then nothing.
I guess if a forum member ever kills one we'll find out. But in my opinion, some of you are holding big racks in higher regard than most of the world cares about.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1st of some magazine will for exclusive , then any one whos call , scent, clothing, gear, you used as well bow manufacturer.   Even if its a nominal amount x 20 or so products.. then add in the crazy antler collectors who want a replica of it.

1st of some magazine will for exclusive , then any one whos call , scent, clothing, gear, you used as well bow manufacturer.   Even if its a nominal amount x 20 or so products.. then add in the crazy antler collectors who want a replica of it.
I'm still willing to bet that the amount a scent/call/gear company would pay you would be next to nothing. They want people who will consistently use those products and consistently can post their pics with success. It's name recognition for them, the more people that know your name the more they pay. You think they'd pay some schmuck like me from Baldwinsville, NY a real sum of money for killing a big deer? I don't. Would you get a free box of deer scent? Probably. Are they going to pay you $2,000+ for your picture? I don't think so. I really don't care either way, just arguing a point. My deer aren't big enough for me to ever find out and I'm just fine with that. I don't hunt to be in the spotlight.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chrisw said:

But in my opinion, some of you are holding big racks in higher regard than most of the world cares about.

Absolutely true.  Only hunters obsessed with antlers will put value to them. The rest of humanity could care less.  You could have the world record deer on your wall and it would impress very few.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm still willing to bet that the amount a scent/call/gear company would pay you would be next to nothing. They want people who will consistently use those products and consistently can post their pics with success. It's name recognition for them, the more people that know your name the more they pay. You think they'd pay some schmuck like me from Baldwinsville, NY a real sum of money for killing a big deer? I don't. Would you get a free box of deer scent? Probably. Are they going to pay you $2,000+ for your picture? I don't think so. I really don't care either way, just arguing a point. My deer aren't big enough for me to ever find out and I'm just fine with that. I don't hunt to be in the spotlight.

Your right.  I get chastised for not taking hero shots of the larger bucks I have taken over the years including this year. I myself am more impressed by a hunter that sets his sights on nothing but mature deer....More so of hunters who actually locate and take those mature bucks. You know. That’s the real word of hunting in my book and it takes a good hunter to kill 1-2 mature bucks every year. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, chrisw said:

A couple of hundred for a add x maybe 5 or 10 companies   better than nothing, had offer for a 146 in gross 8pt  just becase it was an 8pt.. people pay crazy $ if they want something

34 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Absolutely true.  Only hunters obsessed with antlers will put value to them. The rest of humanity could care less.  You could have the world record deer on your wall and it would impress very few.

You only need to impress one ,milo hanson 1 mill plus for duplicating his rack..and who is he.. branson. Buck replica horns cost 5k plus..  

Anyone that wants antler restrictions is an obsessed hunter so just off. This forum there are a large number.

Edited by G-Man

A couple of hundred for a add x maybe 5 or 10 companies   better than nothing, had offer for a 146 in gross 8pt  just becase it was an 8pt.. people pay crazy $ if they want something
What were they offering? Why did they want it? For a mount to display? I don't need to know how much they were offering but some details would be interesting. Friend? Relative? Stranger?

I still don't think it's what you're imagining. So you killed a 200" buck, who's going to pay you? A knockoff grunt call company ran out of a garage? I'm sure Primos isn't going to care about you. There's "professional hunters" on tv that have several 200" deer taken with bows? It's not like it was in the 80's. These deer are essentially farmed now in a lot of states, QDM participation has never been higher, deer are plentiful. Seemingly everything is televised, hunts have never been filmed more than now. You used to have to buy hunting vhs tapes to see big buck hunts, now I can watch 500 hrs of them on youtube for free anytime I want. I can see if you killed a buck that was truly a once in a century creature, but but anything up to that doesn't really add up to much. You'll be neighborhood and Instagram famous for a week then you're forgotten. Hell, a guy killed a 33pt freak of a buck 2 miles from my house a few years ago, the pic got spread around for a bit, then nothing.
I guess if a forum member ever kills one we'll find out. But in my opinion, some of you are holding big racks in higher regard than most of the world cares about.

We aren’t talking about the same thing. TYPICAL 200” with bow. There’s nobody with several. There’s nobody with 2 to the best of my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We aren’t talking about the same thing. TYPICAL 200” with bow. There’s nobody with several. There’s nobody with 2 to the best of my knowledge.

Typical schmichical. I don't care about symmetry, actually prefer a freak rack (except in the woman world). I know what you're saying and I don't disagree. That would certainly be worth more than what I'm referring to.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You only need to impress one ,milo hanson 1 mill plus for duplicating his rack..and who is he.. branson. Buck replica horns cost 5k plus..  

Anyone that wants antler restrictions is an obsessed hunter so just off. This forum there are a large number.

One million isn that high a bar , if your  willing to,just sacrifice a bit and invest , in 30 years most could achieve it . Far easier then taking a world record deer , for us anyways .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chrisw said:

What were they offering? Why did they want it? For a mount to display? I don't need to know how much they were offering but some details would be interesting. Friend? Relative? Stranger?

Was from a stranger in taxidermists shop offered 500 for rack,liked big 8pts 

Edited by G-Man

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

One million isn that high a bar , if your  willing to,just sacrifice a bit and invest , in 30 years most could achieve it . Far easier then taking a world record deer , for us anyways .

Thatvl was for right to reproduce it,idk deer and deer hunting, north american whiterail and the amount paid to put it on tour at various outdoor shows

• Like 1

This thread is like a run away train (no reflection on anyone's profession!) going off into a ditch...........

Thanks to those that have appreciated the buck for what its worth.  I think it's pretty cool to recognize the animal and hunter, I doubt I'll ever (or my offspring) see my name in a "book" of any sort other than NYSBBC and P&Y.  I ain't famous for shiit; no saved lives, no patents, no inventions, haven't won any races (political, foot or MV) yet and doubt I will.

For many years my ambition (maybe that's not the correct word for it?) was to shoot a deer that weighed more than I did.  in 2009 I shot with the bow a buck that dressed 217lbs.  Live weight put him over my live weight. :)  I never had any ambition of shooting a P&Y buck but am pretty happy I did and get to enter it into their book.

Hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR you lugnuts.......my rack of lamb is ready!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This thread is like a run away train (no reflection on anyone's profession!) going off into a ditch...........
Thanks to those that have appreciated the buck for what its worth.  I think it's pretty cool to recognize the animal and hunter, I doubt I'll ever (or my offspring) see my name in a "book" of any sort other than NYSBBC and P&Y.  I ain't famous for shiit; no saved lives, no patents, no inventions, haven't won any races (political, foot or MV) yet and doubt I will.
For many years my ambition (maybe that's not the correct word for it?) was to shoot a deer that weighed more than I did.  in 2009 I shot with the bow a buck that dressed 217lbs.  Live weight put him over my live weight.   I never had any ambition of shooting a P&Y buck but am pretty happy I did and get to enter it into their book.

But you’re also in my scrapbook!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

For many years my ambition (maybe that's not the correct word for it?) was to shoot a deer that weighed more than I did.  in 2009 I shot with the bow a buck that dressed 217lbs.  Live weight put him over my live weight. :)  I never had any ambition of shooting a P&Y buck but am pretty happy I did and get to enter it into their book.

From what I am hearing, it’s time to auction the rights to those antlers!    The Larry Buck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on a great buck larry! I've helped score some but nothing official and haven't had any officially scored for myself. A lot of older 4.5+ yr old bucks out here have been died and been sent into a lab for verified age and wouldn't give your buck a run on score. Something else i know.... Net is for fish.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Typical schmichical. I don't care about symmetry, actually prefer a freak rack (except in the woman world). I know what you're saying and I don't disagree. That would certainly be worth more than what I'm referring to.

Finally on the same page! Next time just call me

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Actually I am pretty sure stan potts killed 3 before he was even on TV hunting in peoples backyards.........   That is talent

Edited by cbyzerman

Actually I am pretty sure stan potts killed 3 before he was even on TV hunting in peoples backyards.........   That is talent

Typical with bow over 200”? I don’t think there’s 10 total. The record is 204” from 1965

• Like 1

I thought it was his rugged good looks

I thought it's because he cries Everytime he shoots a deer. I can't stand watching him, I don't know if his theatrics are real or not but annoying nonetheless to me.

• Like 1