Pope & Young Scoring Is In......

Lawdwaz

Looks like old Stan has at least 4 over 200". I'm sure they aren't typical to Biz's point but... When you have access to multiple 200" deer it's certainly easier to kill multiple 200" deer. On a side note, I wonder which eye is Stan's dominant eye? Haha sorry Stan.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stan Potts....Nevah hoid of him....Of course I don't watch phony ass hunting shows much.....

We had a local whitetail expert here in Dogpatch (RIP)  He had over 40  BIG  ( 130-160 inch)  whitetails in his trophy room....

They are probably still there, since his widow is still alive....He claimed that he had killed all of them,  but it is hard to keep secrets in a small town....Seems he had been traveling to new England and the midwest to purchase big whitetail racks and had been giving local taxidermists lots of business buying capes  and getting mounts done with them....He just wanted everyone to think he was the world's  greatest whitetail hunter...

Sad part was that he was a very good hunter, and had taken a few of them himself...Perhaps 4 or 5 of the  40 he claimed to have taken...When it gets to that point, I think the antler mania is a sickness.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Looks like old Stan has at least 4 over 200". I'm sure they aren't typical to Biz's point but... When you have access to multiple 200" deer it's certainly easier to kill multiple 200" deer. On a side note, I wonder which eye is Stan's dominant eye? Haha sorry Stan.

The people’s farms that hold these big deer make as much as the hunter. Many places the find they have a 200inch deer in their property start getting in touch with the ‘Hunting Show’s’ and auction off to the highest bidder.                        I know of 2 that were actually hunted behind fence and bought by the shows to air the hunts by one of the big name hunters.  Some of the shows like Lee and Tiff and maybe the Drurys can be tracked by their farms being seen on Tv over and over. But some of the others not so much. 

• Like 4

I thought it's because he cries Everytime he shoots a deer. I can't stand watching him, I don't know if his theatrics are real or not but annoying nonetheless to me.

He makes sure to say "give
Me
A
Second, folks" now that it's his "catch phrase". It's embarrassing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Stan Potts....Nevah hoid of him....Of course I don't watch phony ass hunting shows much.....

We had a local whitetail expert here in Dogpatch (RIP)  He had over 40  BIG  ( 130-160 inch)  whitetails in his trophy room....

They are probably still there, since his widow is still alive....He claimed that he had killed all of them,  but it is hard to keep secrets in a small town....Seems he had been traveling to new England and the midwest to purchase big whitetail racks and had been giving local taxidermists lots of business buying capes  and getting mounts done with them....He just wanted everyone to think he was the world's  greatest whitetail hunter...

Sad part was that he was a very good hunter, and had taken a few of them himself...Perhaps 4 or 5 of the  40 he claimed to have taken...When it gets to that point, I think the antler mania is a sickness.....

I didn’t know who he was either.   Shame on me, I guess.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Please submit a video of yourself looking at your shaking hand. That's post shot 101 in today's hunting videos. We need a catch phrase too. Is "Smoked him!!" taken??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Didn't go 20.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2020 at 10:47 AM, Lawdwaz said:

Many aren't into record keeping of their animals and that's fine, it does give a number to those who might have an interest in the mass, tine length and spread. 

Just a comment here. I have never targeted a deer based on what I think he may score. Like just about everybody but wolc though, I of course do target older mature bucks and I am a sucker for a unique rack. I don't like to share pictures but take my word for it that there is a very large typical 9 with great length that would outscore a wide 12 with short tines on one of the properties I hunt. The wild 12 has some stickers and he's just gnarly. I'd shoot either in heart beat of course but would prefer the lower scoring wide 12 if I had a magic wand.

All that said, I think it's cool to score deer after the fact. I don't see why anyone would take issue with someone scoring and I of course don't take issue with anyone who doesn't care about the score either. To me, it's an "after the fact" thing and generally speaking doesn't do anything to detract from the meat in the freezer or the memories made in the harvest. 

PS congrats again on the nice buck!

• Thanks 1

Score has never meant that much to me, mostly because I haven’t shot many big deer. After shooting my bow buck this fall and misidentifying it as a bigger buck with nearly identical antler shape, I roughly measure it before taking it to the taxi. 118 if I remember correctly, he’s a beauty and a trophy to me regardless of the score. I never got around to measuring my gun buck before I took him in, but am now looking forward to getting scored. Just curious, nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Score has never meant that much to me, mostly because I haven’t shot many big deer. After shooting my bow buck this fall and misidentifying it as a bigger buck with nearly identical antler shape, I roughly measure it before taking it to the taxi. 118 if I remember correctly, he’s a beauty and a trophy to me regardless of the score. I never got around to measuring my gun buck before I took him in, but am now looking forward to getting scored. Just curious, nothing more.

He looked bigger than 118.   Beauty regardless but I would have guessed PY score for sure.  

• Like 1

He looked bigger than 118.   Beauty regardless but I would have guessed PY score for sure.  

Well... I measured it in a rather non-accurate manner with a few beers in me...Lol! Saying that, you made that same comment right after I shot him and I posted “Monster down!” and the trail cam pic of the deer I thought he was. The one on camera was bigger and had better brows. You may be right though, I’ll do a more accurate measure on both when I get them back, if close, I may have them officially scored just for fun.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Well... I measured it in a rather non-accurate manner with a few beers in me...Lol! Saying that, you made that same comment right after I shot him and I posted “Monster down!” and the trail cam pic of the deer I thought he was. The one on camera was bigger and had better brows. You may be right though, I’ll do a more accurate measure on both when I get them back, if close, I may have them officially scored just for fun.

When you get them back, holler.  I’ll bring Tacks, a couple Official tape measures and some beers.  We’ll end up within an inch of a official guys numbers......money back guarantee.  :)

image.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Gorgeous buck whatever he scores but I bet he is bigger than 118.   I am lucky to have a taxi that is also a BBC certified scorer.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

When you get them back, holler.  I’ll bring Tacks, a couple Official tape measures and some beers.  We’ll end up within an inch of a official guys numbers......money back guarantee.  :)

image.jpg

Those are neat.  Do they actually use that to measure or is it something you receive for entering a buck?

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Those are neat.  Do they actually use that to measure or is it something you receive for entering a buck?

I wanted to get the correct tapes (I know a cloth tape will suffice) and checked a couple places locally with no luck.  What I found online was  just as expensive so I just ordered from P&Y.   

This is from P&Y website..........

THE BASICS

The fundamental tools required to measure and compute the score of a big game animal are:
Measuring_cable_thumb.jpg

* Measuring cable (along with an alligator clip) - for measuring the length of main beams and points with curvature, as well as marking base lines.
Lip_End_Tape_THUMB.jpg
 * Lip-end measuring tape - for measurements taken with the cable and for directly measuring points.

Ring_End_Tape_THUMB.jpg

* Ring-end measuring tape - useful in taking the circumference measurements, because the "zero" reading is inset from
the end of the tape.

* P&Y Measurer's Manual - a complete guide to the measuring procedures for all big game species. Measurers_Manual_thumb.jpg

The above items can be ordered from the Pope and Young Club on-line in the store, or by contacting the Club's national office at PO Box 548, Chatfield, MN 55923 (507) 867-4144.

These basics will enable you to determine a rough idea of the score for a specific animal. To be considered an accurate and official score, the animal must be measured by a certified P&Y official measurer and then the entry materials must be submitted to, and accepted by, the Pope and Young Club for inclusion into the Records Program.

To get your Measuring Equipment - Shop NOW!

36 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I guess I didn't answer your question.....My guy had his own tapes so I didn't have to whip mine out. :)

And yes, I purchased them.

• Like 1

Gorgeous buck whatever he scores but I bet he is bigger than 118.   I am lucky to have a taxi that is also a BBC certified scorer.   

Thanks Brian. I never even thought to ask mine. I’m going to give them a call tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
When you get them back, holler.  I’ll bring Tacks, a couple Official tape measures and some beers.  We’ll end up within an inch of a official guys numbers......money back guarantee.  

image.thumb.jpg.515427da54d36c5f9331088a37b04bab.jpg
I got that lip end tape as a constellation prize. It works really well. Bends along with most tines well lip goes on the tip of the tine. Out of your list you posted after blue painters tape and a pencil works well to if you want to get serious about measuring points off the beams or tines. single tape is close enough to be practical though unless you're into being Mr official.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk