Pope & Young Scoring Is In......

Lawdwaz

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Go with gross!  I unofficially scored my buck from 2018 and it was a Gross of 127.5.  and net was like 100.  Lol.  I'll be damned if I say it's 100!  

And you know 150 is way easier to remember than 147 2/8, 1/4, 4/16, whatever that was.   Just sayin...

My wife accuses me of that math practice daily.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hey @Biz-R-OWorld no acacemy 1000 inch score this season?  2 buck larry dropped prob 1/4 of it himself, Jay with his biggest buck, Andrew with a nice ridge runner, Tacks shot Buckle...... gotta be close!  

the headache of those guys trying to score bucks was brutal. You'd think with always 8 mass measurements and simple 1/8 math it would be easy, but it's not. BTW, Tacks shot 2 bucks.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

the headache of those guys trying to score bucks was brutal. You'd think with always 8 mass measurements and simple 1/8 math it would be easy, but it's not. BTW, Tacks shot 2 bucks.

he sure did!  Plus i think others got some bucks too.  Sodfather, Jeremy?  anyway think you mustve been fairly close.  

I was going to get one officially scored but still haven't gotten around to it and probably won't now as it's being mounted. I like to know the score only to justify the size. My personal goal is to get a 140"+ in NY with a bow preferably. When someone tells me they shot a big 8pt, well what is big is relative. Now if you had it scored (by someone who actually knows what they're doing or officially) and tell me it was 130" now I know it truly was big. I also hate net scores, nature isn't perfect, penalizing it is stupid. My largest measured deer (by the taxidermist) went 134" and change. I don't see myself entering into any record keeping books, now or in the future as it's only a diary it seems, there's so many bucks killed every year that are never entered therefore saying your animal was "top 10" this or that is false information. But to each their own.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chrisw said:

there's so many bucks killed every year that are never entered therefore saying your animal was "top 10" this or that is false information. But to each their own.

You think there are top 10 whitetails killed and not entered? with all the $ out there and fame for shooting a top 10 whitetail? no way. unless they were illegally killed. You're talking about a 195-200" + typical killed with a bow. Extremely rare

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I have one buck i had officially scored i took. An 8 pt scoring 142 1/8.with gun that made nybbc .  Taco has a p& y 10 pt he took here that was 137ish if i remember right. I believe he entered his in ny record book, and freind shot a 140 6/8 10 pt here  he had measured but i dont know if he ever entered it.  I have a few that i shot with bow that are over 125 but never officially entered them . I just dont see the need to pay to put a buck in the books.  

As for big bucks not measured my  84 year old neighbor has several that would be in nys recordbook but he has no interest in putting them in ,im sure there are more that feel the same way.. seems old racks are always coming into light as they were in grampas attic,shed, or local bar.. score doesnt mean much to many people of an older generation.. many i see on social media look to be nys book bucks but  never make it as owners dont get them measured and pay to put in.. 

You think there are top 10 whitetails killed and not entered? with all the $ out there and fame for shooting a top 10 whitetail? no way. unless they were illegally killed. You're talking about a 195-200" + typical killed with a bow. Extremely rare
I'm talking top 10 in a state per year, not national rankings, but I bet there's a few high ranking national bucks killed every year that don't see the books too. There's not as much money as you think either. I'm not so sure there's as much "fame" anymore either, with so many bucks being killed in the Midwest states that are over 160". I don't consider anyone who kills a big buck famous, they killed a giant deer, it's cool but not fame worthy to me. It's certainly easier in some areas than others but you didn't invent the lightbulb, you killed a deer. Anyone can catch a 35" walleye too, now if you routinely kill huge deer that everyone has access too I'd consider you a great hunter, but not famous.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm talking top 10 in a state per year, not national rankings, but I bet there's a few high ranking national bucks killed every year that don't see the books too. There's not as much money as you think either. I'm not so sure there's as much "fame" anymore either, with so many bucks being killed in the Midwest states that are over 160". I don't consider anyone who kills a big buck famous, they killed a giant deer, it's cool but not fame worthy to me. It's certainly easier in some areas than others but you didn't invent the lightbulb, you killed a deer. Anyone can catch a 35" walleye too, now if you routinely kill huge deer that everyone has access too I'd consider you a great hunter, but not famous.

You sound like fun at parties.

JK.

Fame/Money....there's some of it to be had for killing a big buck or a pattern of them. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about scores or who killed them. While they're "designed" to give credit to the animal, a name is attached to them that sent it. Hunting is a multi-billion dollar industry, so to say no fame (or money) in it to be had just seems weird. Not that it is people's intent very often, but by golly, it happens. 

People get famous for getting smacked with a can of Twisted Tea these days (if you know, you know). So getting famous for shooting a big buck seems almost sensible at that comparison.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I agree. I just meant a true top 10 whitetail in any category is getting fame, reproduction mount rights, etc. 160" is a great but still 10 inches short of even making B&C all-time book. I simply meant those extremely rare bucks. 

I like guys posting the  official score of their bucks, it helps me when I’m looking at racks , photos or in the field. Myself I don’t care if the person enters his in a book,  to each his own. I have 2 that were scored by the nybbc that made it, but I never registered them . I did keep the scoring page’s though. It’s a great buck no matter what the inches , but it is nice to put a number with the rack just for a FYI if nothing else. 

Edited by rob-c

You sound like fun at parties.

JK.

Fame/Money....there's some of it to be had for killing a big buck or a pattern of them. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about scores or who killed them. While they're "designed" to give credit to the animal, a name is attached to them that sent it. Hunting is a multi-billion dollar industry, so to say no fame (or money) in it to be had just seems weird. Not that it is people's intent very often, but by golly, it happens. 
People get famous for getting smacked with a can of Twisted Tea these days (if you know, you know). So getting famous for shooting a big buck seems almost sensible at that comparison.
I'm saying...... If you were to kill a 180" buck here in NY, do you think you'd be "famous." Define "fame."
Do you think someone would compensate you monetarily? Who? Why? You guys are acting like big deer are as rare as Sasquatch. They aren't. In a market that is inundated with big deer, the compensation is getting smaller. Hunting shows are different, you're paying to be entertained, same as a sports broadcast. "Your" deer is cool to look at but it's worth nothing monetarily to me? Will you make it into the sports section of the post standard? Probably. But who else is going to care? You think a major hunting publication is going to beat down your door for it? No way.
I'm not trying to detract from anyone's trophies, but deer antlers aren't made of gold and they grow back every year.

14 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I like guys posting the  official score of their bucks, it helps me when I’m looking at racks , photos or in the field. Myself I don’t care if the person enters his in a book,  to each his own. I have 2 that were scored by the nybbc that made it, but I never registered them . I did keep the scoring page’s though. It’s a great buck no matter what the inches , but it is nice to put a number with the rack just for a FYI if nothing else. 

For the first time I (very roughly) scored some of my old bucks... it was cool to see how they compared to each other.  I was thinking in the upcoming hunting drought Ill throw up the pictures of the bucks on the forum then the score.  (Gross score of course!!)

• Like 4

I'm saying...... If you were to kill a 180" buck here in NY, do you think you'd be "famous." Define "fame."
Do you think someone would compensate you monetarily? Who? Why? You guys are acting like big deer are as rare as Sasquatch. They aren't. In a market that is inundated with big deer, the compensation is getting smaller. Hunting shows are different, you're paying to be entertained, same as a sports broadcast. "Your" deer is cool to look at but it's worth nothing monetarily to me? Will you make it into the sports section of the post standard? Probably. But who else is going to care? You think a major hunting publication is going to beat down your door for it? No way.
I'm not trying to detract from anyone's trophies, but deer antlers aren't made of gold and they grow back every year.

180” typical with a bow, No.

200” typical with a bow, Yes. It’s a top 10 in all time history.

Those 20” difference is huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

One other exception than illegal kills are those killed on the deer farms/factories (which are ineligible).

Edited by DoubleDose
clarification
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

One other exception than illegal kills are those killed on the game farms/factories (which are ineligible).

Give it a few decades and info will be lost and new records will be popping up all the time, the dont microchip the antlers or carve into them saying game farm raised.. have the same issue making stone spear heads ,if done in a paleolithic style they are near impossible to tell a modern from an original

Nice part with this forum larrys buck is documented and will be researchable as an authentic wild take

Edited by G-Man
  • Thanks 1

180” typical with a bow, No.

200” typical with a bow, Yes. It’s a top 10 in all time history.

Those 20” difference is huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I still don't think it's what you're imagining. So you killed a 200" buck, who's going to pay you? A knockoff grunt call company ran out of a garage? I'm sure Primos isn't going to care about you. There's "professional hunters" on tv that have several 200" deer taken with bows? It's not like it was in the 80's. These deer are essentially farmed now in a lot of states, QDM participation has never been higher, deer are plentiful. Seemingly everything is televised, hunts have never been filmed more than now. You used to have to buy hunting vhs tapes to see big buck hunts, now I can watch 500 hrs of them on youtube for free anytime I want. I can see if you killed a buck that was truly a once in a century creature, but but anything up to that doesn't really add up to much. You'll be neighborhood and Instagram famous for a week then you're forgotten. Hell, a guy killed a 33pt freak of a buck 2 miles from my house a few years ago, the pic got spread around for a bit, then nothing.
I guess if a forum member ever kills one we'll find out. But in my opinion, some of you are holding big racks in higher regard than most of the world cares about.

• Like 1