Calling Them In Fron Long Range

DirtTime

I have a hunting trip for this Spring in the ADK's. Won't be able to roost or scout anything. I talked to some of the locals last Fall and was told the only way to kill a turkey up there was to do so in someone's yard because you can't call them in.

I don't buy that. Yes I'll be playing a guessing game but, I highly doubt the only way to tag a tom will be on private land.

I have never hunted the area I'll be in, hence going in cold. On the other side of that coin, I have seen a lot of birds in this area driving past it to and from hunting deer up there. So I'm hopeful due to that aspect.

How many of you have successfully called in birds from miles away? Should I invest in a few more calls besides my locators and pot calls? Maybe a box call?

• Like 1

Thevarea around black lake always held a good amount of birds, went fishing up there years ago and called one Of the mountain to an island we were anchored next to, glided right across the lake . Had we been hunting it would of been an easy kill.  Strutted on the bank 30 yards away.. us sitting in the boat..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Miles might be a stretch but I’ve had ADK birds come from another mountain to my call.

Get back in away from pressure and it’s like the hunting was 20yrs ago with birds that actually gobble and come to calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't know about the pressure until I get up there. From research ( the web, so I take that as what it is ), the area doesn't get hunted much for turkey. Opening day of the regular deer season last year we drove by the place and it was empty. 5 miles up the road were trucks and cars lined up for a long ways. There's a small lake where I plan to camp so I feel fairly confident there may only be a few people fishing but not hunting. If ice out is over.

Late May and I'll only get two hunts up there, Saturday morning and a few hours on Sunday. Which also means I have to make sure I still have a tag. Hoping there isn't still a foot or more of snow on the ground as well.

It's been on the bucket list for a while now and weather permitting I'm crossing it off the list.

Thank you for the replies.

• Like 2

I won't know about the pressure until I get up there. From research ( the web, so I take that as what it is ), the area doesn't get hunted much for turkey. Opening day of the regular deer season last year we drove by the place and it was empty. 5 miles up the road were trucks and cars lined up for a long ways. There's a small lake where I plan to camp so I feel fairly confident there may only be a few people fishing but not hunting. If ice out is over.

Late May and I'll only get two hunts up there, Saturday morning and a few hours on Sunday. Which also means I have to make sure I still have a tag. Hoping there isn't still a foot or more of snow on the ground as well.

It's been on the bucket list for a while now and weather permitting I'm crossing it off the list.

Thank you for the replies.

Get a couple miles from the road and there’s very little pressure!

• Like 1

There’s no such thing as actually calling long range. Really that can be looked at any range. 
To be clear it can be done but you’ll never “call” any bird with other things on its mind. About the only common thing that’ll change their mind is gobbler sounds, fights, yelps and rattles and than not always. Realize everything is relative. Some areas just in general they’ll need to cover more ground. Big woods areas are one place that happens because everything is spread out. 
Long range though they’d most likely have zero options near them. Any call that projected into their area would work “if” they were of the right mindset. Often they aren’t. Best to look at calling not as calling but as persuasion, coaxing. Be where they are going before them and using the calls they are responsive to, you may be able to coax them close enough for a shot. 
It might sound that’s negative to calling. It’s actually certainly not. The most calls and types sounds you can get out of those calls the better. 
The thought pattern ought to be how best to be in the right area and finish them with a call. Just like duck hunting. If they’re landing on that pond why would you try and call them from this pond? Could work but odds are diminished for sure. 
Location is more key than calling. 
My advice is roosting can happen every night you’re there. Show up a day or so early and audibly locate some. Roost one at night, start the morning at a good chance of a bang. 
If you don’t know the area make sure nothing like a River is between you and them. They will sometimes cross but not often. Use maps, aerial photos, etc to determine 

Regarding your call question. In your situation a long box would be one call I’d never be without. (Aluminum pot either). Great for long distant responses, cuts wind decently. Roosts good too. Been called a short box on steroids. Imo almost every box call is inferior in comparison to the long box. The long box has it all on them. SS and Jeff McKamey (Twisting Creek) make really good ones. A long box will do everything a short box does and do it better plus pull off another sound or two. Mainly kee Kees. Holding the soundboards on any box call (long or short) tones it down if you were worried about close range usage. 

The best part about what you’ve said proves these birds are easy. No one believes you can call them. Means no one knows how or even tries. Man you got an awesome chance if you locate some. 

12 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Apparently you don’t want to go back n forth cause you can’t back the argument with honest information. 

A lot of things could be said about BILL,   but not providing honest  information is not one of them...

As far  as long boxes go, I do not have an opinion because I never have run one.. However there is a member of this forum who runs one and kills big gobblers every year in two states..

• Like 3

Shoot I gotta clarify. I should say factual not honest. That’s be a better description. I no way believe anyone is trying to be dishonest. 
It’s the facts or the inability to understand them that has you off. 
I know you’re trying to help. That’s good. But it’s obvious you don’t know what you don’t know. 

Just now, Pygmy said:

A lot of things could be said about BILL,   but not providing honest  information is not one of them...

As far  as long boxes go, I do not have an opinion because I never have run one.. However there is a member of this forum who runs one and kills big gobblers every year in two states..

Pygmy I was writing same time as you. I hope I clarified it. 

As far as killing gobblers in both states that’s easy and a whole bunch of guys do it. A whole bunch of guys take kids along with them and they succeed as well. 
Now nothing taken away from anyone but that by no means any real big accomplishment. No intent at anything negative but we can’t learn without an open mind. 

4 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Shoot I gotta clarify. I should say factual not honest. That’s be a better description. I no way believe anyone is trying to be dishonest. 
It’s the facts or the inability to understand them that has you off. 
I know you’re trying to help. That’s good. But it’s obvious you don’t know what you don’t know. 

Fair enough, My Friend...I have been killing gobblers since 1975, and there is still a lot of stuff that I don,

't know....

• Like 3

@Foggy Mountain, I think I'll take any advice @blackbeltbill and @Pygmy have to offer. They know their shit and have proven it time and time again when it comes to killing turkeys. Along with plenty of other great bird killers on here. In fact, that the short one likes to knock them down in another country as well.

I appreciate your opinion though, thanks for posting it.

• Like 2

Yea well we’ll never learn everything. I’ve been at it not much less than you. Here’s the thing though. You really think that matters? A friend of mine one time retired. We became friendly after he started a job w us part time.  
Do we decided to go on a bowhunt. I never heard him mention anything about being successful. 
I flat out asked him. He said last deer he took he was 17, over 40 years ago. Guess that 40 years must matter right? I placed him in a spot I figured would be good. Historically opening weekend it was. The man shot a spike with his bow and was tickled. 
My point to this is only time spent means nothing. There’s guys with much less time with way more real experience. Some guys dabble, some guys live it. Not saying you personally stand anywhere. Just a point, time means not too much unless you actually spend good time on it. Part of that is a real open mind. I believe that’s the part makes us stop growing, learning. Thinking we know it all or something is impossible. So many variations. 

From miles away? That's doubtful. Hundreds of yards is definitely possible.

My experience has been that a box call generally will carry further, especially in windy conditions. If you can afford one, pack it along, they don't weigh much.

But in my opinion, no matter what part of the country you are in, if a tom is interested enough, the calls sound accurate, and he can hear you, there is a chance that he will make the trip. You just have to be out the day when the stars all line up.

Good luck, & post a story & pictures if you are successful.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I don't  know why you are pushing for a Sunday Night argument.  

There are alot of very good Turkey Hunters on this Forum. 

I’m pushing for no argument. Not saying guys aren’t good. Points to consider is all I’m bringing up. Now anyone confident ought to welcome a discussion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackbeltbill said:

I  believe  we have crossed paths in "3"... And my mug is up for everyone  to see...

As far as Long Boxes go. I owned a one made personally for me by Ron Clough of Easton Maryland. 

While Loud,I  still much preferred my Lynch World Champion . A 2 sided Mahogany  Box with a Black Walnut lid.

I later sold that Long Box at a Yard Sale.

Got any tips for a more affordable box call?

My success in the ADK’s has very little to do with calling and a lot more to do with a locating call and closing distance. Probably half of my big woods birds I don’t think I ever made a turkey noise between the ADK’s, northern Vermont and Maine. I do a very loud owl hoot with my mouth. I find big woods birds that aren’t pressured to be much more likely to shock gobble.

I’m no help on the box call argument, I haven’t carried one in the woods in over 15 years, only call I carry is a couple custom diaphragms.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Yea well we’ll never learn everything. I’ve been at it not much less than you. Here’s the thing though. You really think that matters? A friend of mine one time retired. We became friendly after he started a job w us part time.  
Do we decided to go on a bowhunt. I never heard him mention anything about being successful. 
I flat out asked him. He said last deer he took he was 17, over 40 years ago. Guess that 40 years must matter right? I placed him in a spot I figured would be good. Historically opening weekend it was. The man shot a spike with his bow and was tickled. 
My point to this is only time spent means nothing. There’s guys with much less time with way more real experience. Some guys dabble, some guys live it. Not saying you personally stand anywhere. Just a point, time means not too much unless you actually spend good time on it. Part of that is a real open mind. I believe that’s the part makes us stop growing, learning. Thinking we know it all or something is impossible. So many variations. 

Point well made....However since 1975 there have only been 2 years that I have not filled at least one spring gobbler tag here in NY....

There have also been several years when I have filled  tags in 3 or 4 other states as well as one Canadian Province, so I ain't exactly a virgin.....All of my  out of state hunting has been DIY, either on public land or private land with permission...No guided hunts or canned hunts.... Ain't nuthin' TO this turkey hunting...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My success in the ADK’s has very little to do with calling and a lot more to do with a locating call and closing distance. Probably half of my big woods birds I don’t think I ever made a turkey noise between the ADK’s, northern Vermont and Maine. I do a very loud owl hoot with my mouth. I find big woods birds that aren’t pressured to be much more likely to shock gobble.

I’m no help on the box call argument, I haven’t carried one in the woods in over 15 years, only call I carry is a couple custom diaphragms.

I'm seriously thinking the same thing about the shock calls. Owl before light and the crow after. It just seems to make sense in my pea sized brain.

25 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

The Lynch World Champion is a good Box Rob. Probably no more then 30 Bucks or so.

It has been around since 1958. Alot of Spring Hunters rely on different  Lynch Boxes.

I'll have a closer look into them.

Looking around at some box calls. I really like the way my Quaker Boy slate and HS Strut glass pot sound. So I'm leaning towards those for the box.

I really want to go as light as possible and not carry a bunch of calls with me, but I decided to get a box call over the Summer anyway so.........

Edited by DirtTime
spelling
  • Like 1

Well, back to the original question.  In the areas I hunt it is much more difficult to get a gobbler to come in from a long distance than it was 30 years ago.  Back then as I sat on top of a hill I have seen gobblers with binoculars on an adjacent property that came in on a dead run once they heard my call.  (Yes, a box call for long distance.)  That just does not happen any more on the properties where I hunt.  I can only speculate why that is.  Maybe it's coyotes, increased hunting pressure, who knows.  Now, as others have said, it's good to know where they generally roost and where they generally want to go.  Then soft calling to "steer" them combined with an excellent set up so that you have a shot as soon as he is visible.  Also, as far as distance goes, once the trees are leafed out there is a dramatic drop in the distance that you can hear them and they you.  I have no experience with "big woods" turkeys, that sounds like a real challenge.

• Like 2