Fishing Boat Brand Favorites

chrisw

So, by Spring I'm going to be purchasing a deep V fishing boat. I'm looking preferably for something in the 17-18' range, at least a 90hp, preferably a 115hp. Full, split windshield is a must. Easy spot to mount downriggers/rod holders. Possibly mounting a kicker in the future. I'm willing to spend up to $30-34k. Anyone have good or bad experience with certain brands? Im looking pretty heavily at Starcraft boats. I like the setup pretty well, seems like a good bang for my buck? Hard to find many online reviews though. I also take reviews lightly because some guys are never happy and you're 10X more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. I also know several people with Trackers that are pretty happy with them which also seem like you get a good boat for a good price. I'll mention that this boat will mostly be for Oneida lake, occasionally Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes. I'd also like to be comfortable with 3 fisherman or 4 people just out for a cruise. I know a lot of you guys have fishing boats so I'm looking for opinions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I’ve owned 4 Starcrafts and own a smoker craft “owned by Starcraft.” I’ve had zero complaints about quality or workmanship.

My 2 fishing buddies have a 18ft Lund and a 18ft alumacraft, I don’t like mercury so I wouldn’t own a a lund but the boat rides well. The alumacraft is a nice boat as well. Only brand I would avoid is trackers. Both of them had trackers before their current boats and in my opinion they were both junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had bought a 2010 Tracker with 90 hp motor but it was 2 stroke in 2016. !7 ft split windshield seated 4. The motor had 40 hours on it I could start it at home with muffs on it. But when I got to the boat launch that thing wouldnt start. After 5 timesof the same bull @#$!.It went on the side of the road. Bought in May wasfor sale by july sold in november thank god. If I was to doit again definitely go with a four stroke heard there easier to start.

I’ve owned 4 Starcrafts and own a smoker craft “owned by Starcraft.” I’ve had zero complaints about quality or workmanship.

My 2 fishing buddies have a 18ft Lund and a 18ft alumacraft, I don’t like mercury so I wouldn’t own a a lund but the boat rides well. The alumacraft is a nice boat as well. Only brand I would avoid is trackers. Both of them had trackers before their current boats and in my opinion they were both junk!

I was looking into Smokercrafts too but the nearest dealer is like 120 miles away which is a long ride if any issues come up... I'm leaning toward Starcraft currently, the Fusion and Victory models look really good.

If you have a Crestliner dealer near by take a look. I live near a dealer and close to 3 main launches on Erie and alot of guys are running Crestliners. I would say a big factor for me would to be relatively close to a dealer......if and when issues come up they will be there for you.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was looking into Smokercrafts too but the nearest dealer is like 120 miles away which is a long ride if any issues come up... I'm leaning toward Starcraft currently, the Fusion and Victory models look really good.

I got mine through my local Starcraft dealer, they were not a listed smoker dealer. It’s by far my favorite boat but it’s also my dream style boat it’s a 20ft tiller with a 150hp. The think is a trolling machine!!!

I got mine through my local Starcraft dealer, they were not a listed smoker dealer. It’s by far my favorite boat but it’s also my dream style boat it’s a 20ft tiller with a 150hp. The think is a trolling machine!!!

I was seriously considering going that route too but the wife likes the idea of the windshield and I do too. It'll be nice in the cold/rain or buggy nights on the lake. But for room to fish you can't beat a tiller!

• Like 1

I own a tracker and like it a lot.  That being said if I were to get any boat and price wasn't a factor I like a StarCraft for durability. 

My top motor choice would be a Yamaha.

There is a starcraft dealer in sand pond area that I had quote me some prices and they seemed like good folks, but they also didn't have any stock to look at.  I didn't buy cause they didn't offer me near as much for my trade in and I liked the setup of the tracker better for storage and floor setup. 

If you get one get an auto pilot.trolling motor. Best thing since sliced bread.  

And I have had a lot of tiller boats but a wheel for me is a lot easier and more comfortable.  

Polarcraft are real nice boats but wow they want a lot for them. I loved the camo one they have, it's a beauty. 

Smoker craft and starcraft are the same boats for the most part. If you look at brochures and info the only difference on most of them is the name. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

That's like an Alaskan river setup.....150 tiller is pretty sweet. What bodies of water do you mainly fish and what species do you target?

This one I was in love with but the price was too much for me. Esp since I wanted a larger motor for it too.  It had the walk thru front instead of a deck but was way more than I was looking to spend. 

But I am happy with my tracker.  Customer service at Utica tracker was the best I've ever encountered in buying a boat or a car.  And the boat I got was setup just the way I wanted it and in a price I could afford. 

The Lund dealers I went to were the worst. No one wanted a trade in, or to come down in price or even workup any changes for used boats I was looking at. 

l_polar-kraft-deep-v-outlander-165-sc-side-view-3.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I own a tracker and like it a lot.  That being said if I were to get any boat and price wasn't a factor I like a StarCraft for durability. 
My top motor choice would be a Yamaha.
There is a starcraft dealer in sand pond area that I had quote me some prices and they seemed like good folks.  I didn't buy cause they didn't offer me near as much for my trade in and I liked the setup of the tracker better for storage and floor setup. 
If you get one get an auto pilot.trolling motor. Best thing since sliced bread.  
And I have had a lot of tiller boats but a wheel for me is a lot easier and more comfortable.  
Polarcraft are real nice boats but wow they want a lot for them. I loved the camo one they have, it's a beauty. 
Smoker craft and starcraft are the same boats for the most part. If you look at brochures and info the only difference on most of them is the name. 
Yea I'm only interested in a remote trolling motor with spot lock. It's super convenient. Boats get ridiculously expensive and quick. I don't really want a big payment but I also don't want to regret not getting a bit more boat in a year either. I plan on keeping it for a number of years so I want to do it right the first time.

This one I was in love with but the price was too much for me. Esp since I wanted a larger motor for it too.  
But I am happy with my tracker.  Customer service at Utica tracker was the best I've ever encountered in buying a boat or a car.  And the boat I got was setup just the way I wanted it and in a price I could afford. 
The Lund dealers I went to were the worst. No one wanted a trade in, or to come down in price or even workup any changes for used boats I was looking at. 
l_polar-kraft-deep-v-outlander-165-sc-side-view-3.jpg.a487962c8442ca87d4542e88f234c24f.jpg
Lund=Cadillacs of boats.
Those 18-20 foot boats can hit 60,000 real quick. The average age of a guy driving a decked out lund that I usually see is 65+......retired and most likely rocking a nice pention to boot.

Also on the tracker I really like the rail system along the boat edge for mounting rod holders.  No drilling needed and they are easy to take off/on. 

Best way to decide is go to the boat show and look them all over. 

I found things I liked and disliked on each after checking them out.  I really wasnt a fan of how the starcraft storage was setup with most of it in the floor.  

I liked the setup on the polarcraft best of all but the price kept me away. 

Also on the tracker I really like the rail system along the boat edge for mounting rod holders.  No drilling needed and they are easy to take off/on. 
Best way to decide is go to the boat show and look them all over. 
I found things I liked and disliked on each after checking them out.  I really wasnt a fan of how the starcraft storage was setup with most of it in the floor.  
I liked the setup on the polarcraft best of all but the price kept me away. 
If I can't find what I want and what I want to pay in Starcraft I'm probably going to go price out some Crestliners also. I go to the boat show every year and really like the Crestliner Fishhawks also. I'm not even opposed to a Tracker either. My father has a Tracker Targa that has treated him well. I can find a setup that I like in just about any manufacturer, it just comes down to price. Lunds are quality boats but I don't think they're all that they are cracked up to be though, especially for another $6-8k. For $35-40k they don't event put guides on their trailers. I'd love to find a like new used boat a couple of years old for a good price. Fremac Marine has a Starcraft factory demo right now for about $5-6k less than sticker but paying $30k for a boat without a trolling motor seems crazy too.

Small boats a Lund and it’s awesome.  But they are $$.   Big boats a Tracker Targa which is a great, affordable option.  Wide and deep enough to handle pretty decent chop.  Definitely worth a look.  I’m really impressed with space and rod storage. 

40F6EA0A-6E90-4893-B90C-7E77CDC7A6F1.jpeg

7BECAB2D-0750-4D56-B679-E5CAF39D022C.jpeg

• Like 2

Dual console is far superior in alot of important categories over a tiller.

As far as manufacturer, if your looking new, starcraft and lund ( best tin cans on the water ) will be hard to find in your range. I'd really consider 18-20'. Far from "too big" to fish any pond your after and will handle LadyO when you need it to. Lots of trackers on the great lakes, but I think that's price driven. Alumacraft and princecraft are also popular and less expensive than Lund or starcraft.

Before you buy, get on some boats that are setup for your style/styles of fishing. Layout of the boat will be more important than the manufacturer. If it's your first bigger boat I would also recommend going used, so if you find you don't like it, or like something more, or want to go bigger, you won't lose your a$$ when it's time to sell.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on what your finding.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm a bass boat guy now, but I've owned boats most of my life. Had a Lund that I really liked, and never gave me a bit trouble. Rode and drove so smooth, even in light to moderate chop. If I ever get rid of what I'm using now, it will be another Lund.

But like many have already said, layout is the key. Regardless of brand. Find something that fits you, and your style of fishing. Don't compromise on that, you'll regret it, believe me.

I've run Mercury's and Johnsons mostly, and I haven't ever had a bad one. And one Yamaha, that was just ok in my opinion. But you have to keep up with the maintenance, that's really important. Also do a thorough winterize every fall, to have no problems in the spring. Always buy a service manual for whatever motor you run. You'll save a lot of money over the years, if you are even a little mechanically inclined.

Best of luck with whatever you get! See ya out on the water!

It sounds like you are on the right track.  In my opinion, a 17-18 ft aluminum deep v is the perfect boat for NY state freshwater fishing.  If 2-strokes were still made,  a 70 hp would have been good, but you will need 90 hp min to handle the  extra weight of a 4 stroke.

As far as motor brands go, it looks like you are stuck with Merc or Yamaha, since it sounds like OMC has quit the business. As far as the hulls go,  Crestlner and Lund are a step up from Starcraft and Smoker/Sylvan, but any of those will give you good service.  No experience here with Tracker but they sound comparable. 

Dual council is definitely the way to go in NY.  Center councils are best left to the warm states, and bass boats are just stupid on the great lakes.  Freeboard is where its at out there and they have very little.  Good luck in your purchase.

20210101_022248.jpg

Edited by wolc123

That's like an Alaskan river setup.....150 tiller is pretty sweet. What bodies of water do you mainly fish and what species do you target?

Yes just much deeper and wider than a Alaskan. It’s 100” wide with 30” interior depth.

Fish lake George, Champlain, the hudson and Lake Ontario mainly with a bunch of smaller lakes mixed in.

Other than the occasional cat fishing or bass trip I troll for salmon and trout.

• Like 1

Dual console is far superior in alot of important categories over a tiller.

As far as manufacturer, if your looking new, starcraft and lund ( best tin cans on the water ) will be hard to find in your range. I'd really consider 18-20'. Far from "too big" to fish any pond your after and will handle LadyO when you need it to. Lots of trackers on the great lakes, but I think that's price driven. Alumacraft and princecraft are also popular and less expensive than Lund or starcraft.

Before you buy, get on some boats that are setup for your style/styles of fishing. Layout of the boat will be more important than the manufacturer. If it's your first bigger boat I would also recommend going used, so if you find you don't like it, or like something more, or want to go bigger, you won't lose your a$$ when it's time to sell.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on what your finding.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Unless I end up buying a lake O specific big boat I don’t think I’ll ever own another boat with a windshield! Other than weather protection I haven’t found a category that a wheel boat is superior to the tiller for my styles of fishing. Being able to run 3 down riggers and watch 6 junk lines without ever turning around is amazing!

I probably should've mentioned it in the first post, I'm not new to boats at all. I've been fishing out of boats since I was old enough to and am still out of buddies/parents boats. I've spent a lot of time on bass boats the last few years and while they're great at what they do, they're way too one dimensional for me. Now I was contemplating the Nitro ZV18 line (fiberglass walleye boat) but in order to get the price where I wanted it I'd have to look at a 5-6 year old boat and I'm the type that is pretty meticulous about care and storage so I'd kind of like a new/like new model so I can keep it looking brand new for years.
I'd love a 20' boat but since it's probably going to be just me fishing 70% of the time I don't want something that is much larger than is needed. It also becomes more to trailer, park, dock etc. And I can pick my days on the Big O so it's not like I need a big water boat per se.
There are some really attractive prices on the Starcraft 16-17' models with a 90hp but I'm going to have to go sit in them with the wife and see what kind of room we're looking at. I'm just not sure how cramped it would be out trolling with 3 guys in a 16.5' boat. I'm also looking ahead and don't want to blow my self imposed budget way out of the water either because I plan on purchasing some high end graphs and imaging units also which will probably run me $3k on top of the boat. Down riggers will probably wait a year. Another thing I'm noticing on some of the models is that mounting rod holders doesn't look as easy as it sounds. Some boats have storage doors running the gunwales, thin strips of aluminum etc. I really don't want to have to be modifying too much just to get holders mounted either. I like the idea of the track systems so I can remove/add accessories on the fly. There are almost too many makes and models to compare. I haven't ruled out the Tracker V175 combo yet either. I know some people swear that they are garbage, but I my mind there are so many of them out there that you're going to run into issues the more you sell, it's math. If you look around online you will find a lot of guys swear that lund quality has dropped way off in recent years so... Who knows for sure. That is the reason I would prefer that whatever dealer I buy from is within an hour of my house so need be I can get there without too much trouble. I'm also researching dealer reviews, Krenzer Marine in Sodus looks to have great feedback and they sell what I'm looking for. In fact, Krenzer has a used Starweld 17 in exactly what I'm looking for right now but I had them pull the motor hours and it has 800hrs in a 4yr old boat. That seems quite high to me. I don't feel comfortable spending $24k on a USED boat. Fremac Marine also gets some decent feedback and isn't too far.
Another really awesome looking rog is the G3 Sportsman 200. If you aren't familiar with them look one up. They are a semi V, 20' boat, full windshield, 150-200hp on the back and a dance floor of room. They run about $60k new, I found one in Clayton, a 2015 with a 150hp for $30k. As cool as they are I have a hard time dropping that much on a 5 year old boat.

The head guy at tracker was awesome.  The rod holders that fit the track system are crazy expensive. But can just buy Bass pro brand for a 1/4 of the price and use a machine screw and a washer and nut to do the same thing.  Only issue with tracker is you are buying their package and there is no changing out electronics and troll motor .  So if you want to upgrade - which I def suggest and sounds like your going to- they will install it all there but you will have to sell the other ones that come with the boat. I sold mine here to some folks so it worked out fine.  But you can also buy it there and they will install it for you. I bought the boat then got a Bass pro VIP card and $500 gift card.  So I used it to help pay for trolling motor and electronics upgrade. And they installed it for free. 

The price for the trackers is also the price, they won't haggle it.  Nice thing is though the salesman don't work on commission and we're very upfront on everything. Service center was also great and they stored it for me for free until spring.  

If you buy at Bass pro in Utica use me as a reference and I think we both get a discount. Just let me know and I can pm my info.  

Added - what I don't like about my tracker. - storage areas in front don't seal tight enough to keep heavy rain out. But I always cover it off the water

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

The factory tracks that they all have now are ok for rod holders but I’ve seen more than a couple bent and ruined from downriggers. In my opinion if you’re going to run riggers you want a wide enough gunwale to mount them too. I have 6ft berts tracks mounted on top of gunwale and wouldn’t mount them or rod trees any other way.

My buddy has his riggers mounted on tracks that are mounted to the lund track but he has 4 of the lund track mounts to spread out the load and it still has more give than I’m comfortable with.

Believe it or not, this is our fishing boat.  We installed a track system for riggers and rod holders.   Cuddly cabin is great for storage.    But the IO box can get in the way at times.   We only fish Lake O and primarily for trout and salmon.   It’s not the most versatile fishing boat for sure but we have hauled our fair share of fish in.  Easy clean up with the fiberglass floor.  

43C8A410-A5E4-4A92-8544-DF31245B9792.png

• Like 2