Fishing Boat Brand Favorites

chrisw

6 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I have a 19.6. I fish with my 6yr old son a ton, so I'm launching and loading solo. If you have been around boats like you say, handling the boat solo won't be an issue. Extra space will be better than being cramped. I would guess that@Robhuntandfish would agree that there was plenty of room for trolling with 3 guys and@Pygmy can verify there was enough room for 4 trolling, even though I chose to sit on his lap.... The day we fished 4 with Pygmy we ran 8 leads on boards, 2 dipsys and 2 riggers so don't be fooled that a dual console can't be a trolling machine. We boxed out in an about 2 hours iirc.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Plenty of room for sure. And I can contest to it handling some big waves and we were still able to stand up and setup rigs. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update: I ordered a boat. I did a ton of price comparing, features, sat in them etc... For the money/features I had narrowed it down to the Tracker Targa 18' with the 150 Mercury or the Tracker Pro Guide 175. I ended up ordering the Pro Guide, here's my reasoning why. The Targa is a bigger boat all around (although only 5" longer and about 5" wider than the Pro). It has a tandem axle trailer with brakes, 11" wide gunwales, 70pd thrust Minn Kota (non ipilot), 150 hp which should move it along at 45mph. It has more storage than the Pro Guide but not by a drastic amount. The reasons I chose the 175 are, I can get it with the 115 Mercury Pro XS motor which will push the boat at 45-47 mph (as fast as the Targa with a 150). It will probably troll a bit better with the 115 also. Even though the Targa is 5" wider, the gunwales on it are 11" wide on both sides so you actually lose a bit of interior width, so the 175 actually has more useable beam width. The 175 is only 5" shorter than the Targa so not much there. The interior depth is only 2" deeper in the Targa (not a huge deal to me). Neither boat comes standard with ipilot trolling motor so I'll have to pay on either boat to get gps, (about $500). They both carry about the same payload, even though the Targa is 1,000 lbs heavier. The 175 trailer is a single axle/non brake version where the Targa is dual axle with brakes, so just more potential for larger maintenance costs on the Targa trailer. I ordered the vinyl floor upgrade, throughout the entire boat, ordered a trailering cover, bimini top and the windshield to bimini top piece also. All said and done I think for MY main uses the 175 was a better choice. It'll still handle 4 adults relatively easy, be easier to manage by myself, save me about $7k initially to put into new graphs and upgrades later on, will trailer easier being lighter and single axle. It will handle Oneida perfectly and Ontario on the right days. The wait time on orders is 10-12 weeks but the rep said they've been getting them in about half of that time. Total cost on the 175 (minus tax, tags etc) is $32,000. I've been researching boats for a year, and went back and forth a lot on what I wanted/needed and I think I've landed on what I needed and 90% of what I wanted. And I should have it before the Walleye opener if all goes well. The picture below is essentially the exact boat, I ordered it in black (the wife did not like the red) with the motor upgrade to the 115 Merc Pro XS. IMG_20210206_213749798.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Sweet rig Chris! That will def do the job about anywhere you want to take it.   Congrats!

I did an upgrade on the fish finder.  If it's the same one that's in the package I had you'll want to upgrade that. With getting the boat you should get a VIP bass pro card and get like 10% off and tracker service will install a new one for free. Does that come with a 24v trolling motor system? Might want to consider that as that's a bigger rig and one battery might wear out quicker if planning to troll with that and on on board charger to just plug into.  I also found out after using it that the hand control for the trolling motor works great and I never use the foot control. So I could have done without that and saved some money. 

I really enjoy mine. I have the tracker 16 super guide.  I almost bought the 16.5 pro guide as it wasn't too much more , but I didn't need such a large gas tank (23 gallon), and if I did go bigger figured I would also want a 24 v trolling motor system which was going to drive the price up even more etc. But I would have liked the more room and width.  I must've drove out to look at them 5-6 times. Lol.  

Can't wait to see on the water pics! Awesome rig.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Sweet rig Chris! That will def do the job about anywhere you want to take it.   Congrats!
  I did an upgrade on the fish finder.  If it's the same one that's in the package I had you'll want to upgrade that. With getting the boat you should get a VIP bass pro card and get like 10% off and tracker service will install a new one for free. Does that come with a 24v trolling motor system? Might want to consider that as that's a bigger rig and one battery might wear out quicker if planning to troll with that and on on board charger to just plug into.  I also found out after using it that the hand control for the trolling motor works great and I never use the foot control. So I could have done without that and saved some money. 
  I really enjoy mine. I have the tracker 16 super guide.  I almost bought the 16.5 pro guide as it wasn't too much more , but I didn't need such a large gas tank (23 gallon), and if I did go bigger figured I would also want a 24 v trolling motor system which was going to drive the price up even more etc. But I would have liked the more room and width.  I must've drove out to look at them 5-6 times. Lol.  
Can't wait to see on the water pics! Awesome rig.
Yea the fish finder isn't anything special, that'll be swapped out for sure. The trolling motor is a 12V system, I'll see how it does but I'd probably rather have the 24V in the end. There's room for a second battery for the trolling motor so worst case I can just swap the terminals over if I kill one I guess. I'm also buying the Ipilot conversion kit for the trolling motor that it comes with. It's a $450 accessory but it's a super easy install so I'll do that myself. I don't foresee myself ever using the foot pedal once I have the remote either. I plan on buying or making some versatrack rail mounts for rod holders and eventually riggers. The only thing that kinda sucks is the inability to swap out parts when you order new Trackers, they make you buy the package and then upgrade and then you're stuck selling the package parts if you don't want them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Yea the fish finder isn't anything special, that'll be swapped out for sure. The trolling motor is a 12V system, I'll see how it does but I'd probably rather have the 24V in the end. There's room for a second battery for the trolling motor so worst case I can just swap the terminals over if I kill one I guess. I'm also buying the Ipilot conversion kit for the trolling motor that it comes with. It's a $450 accessory but it's a super easy install so I'll do that myself. I don't foresee myself ever using the foot pedal once I have the remote either. I plan on buying or making some versatrack rail mounts for rod holders and eventually riggers. The only thing that kinda sucks is the inability to swap out parts when you order new Trackers, they make you buy the package and then upgrade and then you're stuck selling the package parts if you don't want them.

Sounds like a good plan. Yeah I had to do the same.  Sold the trolling motor and fish finder to folks on here and it worked out good though.   But yeah it is a bit of a pain that you can't just upgrade. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update. Boat came in, all paperwork is done. I bought a new graph today, left that with the boat at the service center to be installed. Also, ordered an I pilot head for the trolling motor. They installed the bimini top and front curtain. Now if the damn ice will get off the lake! I'll pick the boat up in a few weeks, hopefully the salt will be mostly off the roads by then. I'll also have a new, never used Lowrance Hook2 5" split shot fish finder for sale pretty cheap if anyone is looking for a small, budget unit. IMG_20210311_141739_636.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_655.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_658.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_661.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_665.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats . 
The water here is super low, right now ( Lake Ontario ,Irondequoit Bay .)

Today I swung by the ramp I use, never ever seen it this low, that debris line is where the ramp drops off my boat is about floating off the trailer at that point .

Neighbors said where they keep their boat at the South end the water is about 8 inches at their slip,which is at the end of the dock .

EBF13E4A-8ED1-47F9-8AD4-E5855BDC2E43.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Congrats . 
The water here is super low, right now ( Lake Ontario ,Irondequoit Bay .)

Today I swung by the ramp I use, never ever seen it this low, that debris line is where the ramp drops off my boat is about floating off the trailer at that point .

Neighbors said where they keep their boat at the South end the water is about 8 inches at their slip,which is at the end of the dock .

EBF13E4A-8ED1-47F9-8AD4-E5855BDC2E43.jpeg

I’ll take lower water over high water all day long... this was 2017

63B0B9E1-A354-4403-BC9D-D56E03AC4BE0.jpeg

5 minutes ago, johnplav said:

I’ll take lower water over high water all day long... this was 2017

63B0B9E1-A354-4403-BC9D-D56E03AC4BE0.jpeg

Depends at present I can’t launch here and waters to sallow at many slips for those who use seasonal slips to have their boats in .

Time will tell though and I want to dump my old boat , 62 years of boating ( yes since I was born ) I’ve had enough . Plus have the camper now, and we’re shopping for condos in FLA as well .

Update. Boat came in, all paperwork is done. I bought a new graph today, left that with the boat at the service center to be installed. Also, ordered an I pilot head for the trolling motor. They installed the bimini top and front curtain. Now if the damn ice will get off the lake! I'll pick the boat up in a few weeks, hopefully the salt will be mostly off the roads by then. I'll also have a new, never used Lowrance Hook2 5" split shot fish finder for sale pretty cheap if anyone is looking for a small, budget unit. IMG_20210311_141739_636.thumb.jpg.497e2ebf02580cbee444bfef3d57ebef.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_655.thumb.jpg.0df00f57d812b86506b2df07ba58b508.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_658.thumb.jpg.40a646929817667f2e9994cd8576fbf3.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_661.thumb.jpg.b9f02d381d87631d9fd8c9adcde4c248.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_665.thumb.jpg.f5c164b6e89466f1708965a9fbf2e8b5.jpg

Nice rig man. I'm sure she will treat you well !

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 5:52 PM, chrisw said:

Update. Boat came in, all paperwork is done. I bought a new graph today, left that with the boat at the service center to be installed. Also, ordered an I pilot head for the trolling motor. They installed the bimini top and front curtain. Now if the damn ice will get off the lake! I'll pick the boat up in a few weeks, hopefully the salt will be mostly off the roads by then. I'll also have a new, never used Lowrance Hook2 5" split shot fish finder for sale pretty cheap if anyone is looking for a small, budget unit. IMG_20210311_141739_636.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_655.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_658.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_661.jpgIMG_20210311_141739_665.jpg

Gotta be getting an itch to get that boat in the yard!  She coming home soon? 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:52 PM, chrisw said:

Don’t let the ice stop you 

291CCF9A-3F0B-4905-9490-E3D3A46FD2A3.jpeg

• Like 1