Fishing Boat Brand Favorites

chrisw

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Took the boat out for the first time on Saturday on Oneida. Was going through the 2hr break in, stopped for a minute to pee and noticed the motor was idling too high (2k rpms). Backup a week... I get a notice in the mail for a recall on the motor, the idle control valve is defective and causes the motor to idle too high. I was hoping I wouldn't experience the issue but I did. I figured I'd try out the trolling motor to see how the I pilot worked. Dropped the motor in and didn't have any power? Played with it a bit, nothing. Came home, put the battery on charge, read 0%. Must be if you leave the motor plugged in it'll drain the battery. I charge the battery overnight, still won't turn on. I get a voltmeter and check the plug up front, no power! I took the panel that the plug is in off and saw that the power cable had came apart to the plug. Figured that would certainly fix it. Nope. Still nothing. I traced power all the way to the circuit board for the motor. It will not turn on for anything. I installed I pilot a week ago and tried it out in the driveway, worked great. Now absolutely nothing... Only other issue I found was the rear live well pump comes on but doesn't fill with water, could just need to be primed. Go figure, you buy a brand new boat to avoid issues with used boats and now I have issues with both motors and the walleye opener 2 weeks away. Going to call bass pro tomorrow and probably not going to be real nice if they tell me something I don't want to hear.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Update: Took the boat out for the first time on Saturday on Oneida. Was going through the 2hr break in, stopped for a minute to pee and noticed the motor was idling too high (2k rpms). Backup a week... I get a notice in the mail for a recall on the motor, the idle control valve is defective and causes the motor to idle too high. I was hoping I wouldn't experience the issue but I did. I figured I'd try out the trolling motor to see how the I pilot worked. Dropped the motor in and didn't have any power? Played with it a bit, nothing. Came home, put the battery on charge, read 0%. Must be if you leave the motor plugged in it'll drain the battery. I charge the battery overnight, still won't turn on. I get a voltmeter and check the plug up front, no power! I took the panel that the plug is in off and saw that the power cable had came apart to the plug. Figured that would certainly fix it. Nope. Still nothing. I traced power all the way to the circuit board for the motor. It will not turn on for anything. I installed I pilot a week ago and tried it out in the driveway, worked great. Now absolutely nothing... Only other issue I found was the rear live well pump comes on but doesn't fill with water, could just need to be primed. Go figure, you buy a brand new boat to avoid issues with used boats and now I have issues with both motors and the walleye opener 2 weeks away. Going to call bass pro tomorrow and probably not going to be real nice if they tell me something I don't want to hear.

Reminds me of buying a brand new truck because I was sick of laying under used junk 

Broke down twice today on me with less than 1500 miles on it 

• Like 1

ugh this sucks!   Yeah I would drive it right back there and not even call. Did they install the Ipilot for you?  Sounds like something is drawing on battery all the time, should draw unless power is on.  Rear livewell shouldnt need to be primed cause it should always drain of water when unplugged.  hmm not good.  Good luck - hope to hear good news on this 

• Like 1

I can relate to that a little bit from some issues I had with my 17 footer back in 1999 when I bought a new motor for it.  It was always just a little underpowered with the 60 hp 2 stroke Johnson that it came with when I bought it new in 1989.

I used it a ton the first 10 years, and wore out the lower unit the week prior to opening day of bass season in 1999.  The marina claimed to be way backed up and said they could not even look at it for about a month.

They did have a new 70 hp Johnson on the rack, and claimed they could have that mounted for me that day, for around $6500 cash.  I went for that deal, thinking I would be all set up for opening weekend.

The new 2-stroke 70 hp Johnson has plenty of power, and ran perfectly the first few times out.  After that, an intermittent problem developed where it would suddenly loose power when operating at high rms. 

The problem was not too frequent but just enough to be very annoying.  One day I was fishing a pike tournament on the lake where I bought the boat when it started acting up.  I had a feeling the problem was the motors power pack, but it wasn't until I took the head mechanic out while it was acting up, that he agreed.

Apparently those power packs were good for a range of motors, and they were not willing to use one that they had on the shelf for a warranty claim unless they were certain it was needed.

I haven't used the boat all that much over the last 20 years, but it has not required any service since it got that new power pack.  Even the fuel filter is original.  My old 60 never trolled right after I replaced the fuel filter so I decided to never change another one of those unless the motor wouldn't run.  The 70 has always trolled very well.

One of the keys to keeping those outboards running well is to always pay the extra 50 cents per gallon for ethanol free gas.  That stuff couldn't be found back when I had the 60 hp.

20210419_074154.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

ugh this sucks!   Yeah I would drive it right back there and not even call. Did they install the Ipilot for you?  Sounds like something is drawing on battery all the time, should draw unless power is on.  Rear livewell shouldnt need to be primed cause it should always drain of water when unplugged.  hmm not good.  Good luck - hope to hear good news on this 
Ran it back out today. Supposedly the recall part was shipped on Friday, we'll see. He said he should be able to look at the other issues in a day or two. I'm giving him 2 days and calling back for an update. I hate to be that guy but for $35,000 and no boat I guess I will be.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I think he's talking about the truck you have for sale . Same one that broke down?

Ha nope , the one that broke down brand new was a 1997 Dodge Ram , fuel pump twice and on the same exact road !

Had to have it flat bedded both times.

Then a major engine rattle .. ended up Chrysler bought it back.. I bought one more Dodge ...

Issues with the next one too.. went to Ford and have had 5 new ones ... never any issues !

My King Ranch hasn’t had any issues at all , it’s only got 2k miles on it ..

I had it back to the dealer for inspection that’s it

• Like 1