New York Crossbow Hunters..

sits in trees

Common sense tells me that there are no statistics that back up the statement that crossbows are more dangerous than compounds... and you also can not do things with a xbow that you can with a bow.. lets all be very clear about where the real argument against crossbows is... it is simply that some bowhunters ( roughly 2000 of the 200,000 in NY) feel threatened that somehow the crossbow hunter is going to ruin bowhunting season by being in the woods at the same time as they are and might kill a deer or two... it has nothing to do with safety, or any of the other nonsense that the anti crossbow people have come up with to fight their battle... everyone knows it... so why do we continue to blow smoke up each others rearends?

Come on ..First of all I happen to agree with may of your posts. I already said the safety issue is not there(poor reason to deny crossbows) All I meant ,is to say you can accidently shoot youself in the foot or the leg or set the xbow down and accidently discharge it, etc..The list of really stupid ways( and highly unlikely ways)one could hurt themselves with a crossbow could go on and on . Go ahead and try to end this stupid discussion and shoot yourself in the head with a compound..........Oh you are still here... I thought so.I do not need a chart or statistic to tell me this (common sense). A ridiculous discussion we are having. B) I happen to like archery season the way it is and have yet to be shown why a xbow season between archery and ml is not a viable compromise. Either way it will not be the end of my world.

I hunt on Long Island wich is an archery only area. As it stands I could not use a crossbow unlees I travel upstate. I am against making anyone that has a physical condition that prevents them from drawing a bow to jump through hoops just to hunt. Some day you may not be able to draw a bow. Will your oppinion suddenly change then. I also do not see crossbows being that popular that everyone will go out and by one. I feel the vertical bow is the more versitile of the two and will still dominate in the woods.

or in the rifle season where it belongs

Why would it belong in rifle season? Ballistically, it has no advantage over a vertical bow. It shoots a fletched arrow, powered by limbs and a string and kills with a broadhead. Just because it is held by a stock does not make it a gun. Anyone that says it is, is being ignorant.

• Like 1

All I meant ,is to say you can accidently shoot youself in the foot or the leg or set the xbow down and accidently discharge it, etc..The list of really stupid ways( and highly unlikely ways)one could hurt themselves with a crossbow could go on and on . Go ahead and try to end this stupid discussion and shoot yourself in the head with a compound

and your stats on this happening where crossbows have been legal for a long time. Where are they? Yep, like I thought; like the rest of the safety arguments.

You don't have any.

I hunt on Long Island wich is an archery only area. As it stands I could not use a crossbow unlees I travel upstate. I am against making anyone that has a physical condition that prevents them from drawing a bow to jump through hoops just to hunt. Some day you may not be able to draw a bow. Will your oppinion suddenly change then. I also do not see crossbows being that popular that everyone will go out and by one. I feel the vertical bow is the more versitile of the two and will still dominate in the woods.

how refreshing; someone with common sense who is also well spoken.

Wake up supermen; one day it will be you who will benefit. I'm 53 and will still choose my Bowtech over my Excalibur; but one day I may have to relegate myself to the crossbow.

any weapon that has a stock. trigger,scope and is pre loaded to shot is not a bow and does not belong in the archery season. leave it in the gun season where belongs. of course persons with a health issue and have the permit can use it where they are able. and they now have string releases for bows that a person unable to draw the bow can use.

any weapon that has a stock. trigger,scope and is pre loaded to shot is not a bow and does not belong in the archery season. leave it in the gun season where belongs. of course persons with a health issue and have the permit can use it where they are able. and they now have string releases for bows that a person unable to draw the bow can use.

A trigger? Most compound shooters use a mechanical trigger, they just call them a release. You can mount a red dot scope to a vertical bow, you also have lighted, electronic and magnified sight systems available. Whats your point? Compunds are completely different than longbows using your line of thought. Better move them to gun season.

A stock, a triger and a sighting system does not define a firearm. The term "Fire" is the key here. An implement is defined by it's functional componants. A cross bow does not produce any type of fire nor does it use expanding gas of any type. It does however use potential energy stored in it's limbs. Just like a normal bow. Also, like a bow the crossbow utilizes a string to push apon the projectile sending it into flight. Look up crossbow in the dictioary or wikipedia and the definition will referance "bow and arrow", not gun. Argue that point.

I can settle this very simply........... they belong in the gun season

So does any weapon that has cams, 80% let off a trigger,and a red dot scope.

Or we put all archery equipment in the bow season.

There - settled.

Edited by SteveB

Why is it considered by some as ignorance or foolishnish if we disagree ? I can settle this very simply........... they belong in the gun season

Because you are arguing a definition, which is also known as a fact. Its kind of like saying that in your opinion, the sky is red.

Crossbows are archery equipment, not guns. Please point out some valid reasons why they alone, should be grouped with a totally different class of weapons.

yea a crossbow is just like a rifle and belongs in gun season, man you need to wake up already dude, your argument is pure crap...Im a New York state resident and pay a hefty tax bill for my property in Uster county every year. i like many others want the right to hunt with a crossbow during archery season, if you are so dead set against it then dont friggin use one. mind your business and dont try and dictate to other hunters what you think the perfect archery season should be.

Why is it considered by some as ignorance or foolishnish if we disagree ? I can settle this very simply........... they belong in the gun season

i will tell you why, because your arguments are factless fairytales along the lines of the knuckleheads that used to argue that the world was flat.

if you came out and stated your real concern of other hunters shooting your deer in bow season i could almost respect that. but you antis always cloak your arguments with pure BS that anyone with half a brain can see right thru. so respect other hunters and tell them your real concerns and be truthfull if you can and drop the, "duuuhhh a crossbow is like a rifle, duuuhhh and belongs in rifle season" hogwash already.

• Like 1

Sit's in tree's these are my concern's # 1 Gun hunter's like you will take a cross "bow" from the box & to the woods & still think they have a gun in their hands . ( Lots of wounded deer ) # 2 increase poached deer # 3 increase of tresspass . Your right I am an archer & admit it, Now I am calling you to admit that you are a gun hunter who obviously holds some resentment towards archers or anti's as you call us !

Sit's in tree's these are my concern's # 1 Gun hunter's like you will take a cross "bow" from the box & to the woods & still think they have a gun in their hands . ( Lots of wounded deer ) # 2 increase poached deer # 3 increase of tresspass . !

If any of these are real concerns, then you should be able to easily show that it has happened in the states where crossbows have been included. Show some facts that will be there if your concerns are probable - waiting for your backup.

Ok, so your concerns are....

1 Tthat more deer will get wounded? You mean like the deer that are now wounded every year by guys that cant or wont take the time to practice their vertical bow shooting enough, but go into the woods anyway and huck arrows at deer? I would rather see those guys use a weapon that they can use with a bit less practice, at the same range as a vertical bow, and kill more deer rather than wound them. Whats wrong with that?

2 Increased poaching? Why would there be increased poaching? Last i knew, poachers dont follow the law, so how is making something legal going to increase the incidents of people breaking the law?

3 See above.

max3 post is just what was said when the compound bow started, the new archers would with there compound just shoot all the deer or wound them since they had a 45 % let off. my god they were just like a gun they had sights, would use even Alum arrows and not the true arrow of hunters past ( wood) and they could use a release just like a gun...yes there would be deer running all over the hills with arrows in there side from this new crop of archers if allowed....

never did occur and I am not a cross bow user, but sure think they should be allowed in our current archery season.

I have seen in SC at the local club several guys shootng there cross bows at the practice area, they are just like us. trying to make sure that there equiptment is ready for the season. In talking most can not or do not use in a tree stand, most use in a popup blind on there own land, and most use due to there age or inability to no longer use a veritical bow ( either a long bow, recurve or compound )

They just want to hunt as they use to. So lets support the change.

Hell with the DEC most of know they will just sit and wait as there is not a lot of deer left anyway. The DEC is killing off the deer herd with there policy and season limits and these crossbow will not make a bit of difference.

Sit's in tree's these are my concern's # 1 Gun hunter's like you will take a cross "bow" from the box & to the woods & still think they have a gun in their hands . ( Lots of wounded deer ) # 2 increase poached deer # 3 increase of tresspass . Your right I am an archer & admit it, Now I am calling you to admit that you are a gun hunter who obviously holds some resentment towards archers or anti's as you call us !

Legit concerns Max. I'm mostly concerned with the large influx of gun hunters into archery season. Not because I'm afraid they will shoot my deer but because of the circus like atmosphere they will bring. I can wait till the regular season to deal with those knuckleheads and don't relish the idea of deer drives and trespassers during archery season.

You want stats. Look at Ohio. During archery season more deer are taken with xbow which means since xbow became legal in ohio 50% more gun hunters transitioned into archery season.