Looking For Serious Backcountry Hunters...

Thebluesman5748

Been hunting the deep backcountry of the Adirondacks over 50 years. Hunted the Siamese Ponds Wilderness region for about 35 years until access just got to be too much because of frozen lake, etc... We now hunt the West Canada Lakes Wilderness region, primarily the Jessup River Wild Forest... We use a canvass 12x14 elk tent with 5' walls and a 9' center height. The wood stove keeps the tent like toast... Our base camp is 13 miles in the backcountry... We access it via a single lane logging road (4x4 a must have) that brings you through some of the most pristine wilderness you'll ever see... It's God's country...

We're looking to add 1, possibly 2 more hunters to our camp... This is no club, no log cabin... It's hunting in pristine wilderness and it doesn't get any better than that... We go up early muzzle loader season to set up camp and gather enough firewood for the whole season... We usually break camp on Thanksgiving in order to avoid the heavy snows that come late, which, could cause some problems getting out of there... Good navigational skills are a must have out there... 

If your retired and still love to hunt, don't hesitate to make an inquiry... There's lots of older guys out there that no longer have hunting companions, or the ability to set up a backcountry camp, but would really like to get back into it...

This is my 1st post on this site as I just found it... Not sure what to do from here but I'll give it my best shot.. You can text me at 518-577-0953 and I'll give you an Email address. However, since I had to put my Email address in my sign up, you may be able to contact me that way... I'm not sure...

At any rate, if your looking to hook up, give me a shout. 

Vinny...aka "Thebluesman5748"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vinny:  I am a pretty serious backcountry hunter.  I am in Pennsylvania, though, so I might not be available enough to be the guy you are looking for.  By way of bio, I'm 45 and in decent shape.  (I'm about 210 right now so probably not as bad as my screen name but just started a diet and fitness program to get down to my summer weight of 190ish.  I'm pointing this out because I don't want my screen name to give you the impression that I can't handle the woods).  Our family has a cabin in PA where I do most of my hunting.  I also take at least 1 (usually 2) trips out of state each fall to hunt.  I have a cabin in Vermont where I hunt most years (low deer numbers kind of like the ADKs). 

I also hunt in the Adirondacks most years.  Sometimes I am limited in time due to work but and have to choose NY or VT for that fall.  My experience in the ADKs is in the Eastern part.  I have spend a good amount of time hunting the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness.  I have hunted from a base camp but also done a couple years bivy hunting.  When I bivy hunt, I carry a backpack with all of my food and gear and sleep where I finish the days hunt so that I wake up right where I want to be.  It's a fun experience but I have not killed a deer in the ADKs, although I blew a chance at a nice buck a couple years ago when I wasn't ready to shoot and it walked up 30 feet behind me and busted me.  

Anyway, I have a 4x4 truck.  I also have a canvas tent with a wood stove.  I have pretty good woods skills - fire building, camping, navigation, breaking down game, etc.  I also have a GPS for navigation if needed. I don't like too fancy of a camp with organized meals though.  I hate doing dishes and would rather eat dehydrated food or from a can rather than spend hunting time doing chores.   Style wise, I mostly still hunt.  I like to track if I am lucky enough to have snow though. If you think I might be a good fit, let me know.  Unfortunately, I would probably be limited to about a week of hunting time each year.  

Here are a couple pics of me different set ups.  Mobile or base camp.  I enjoy both.

162.JPG

164.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

Edited by Fat Dan
  • Like 6

On 1/3/2021 at 7:13 AM, Thebluesman5748 said:

Been hunting the deep backcountry of the Adirondacks over 50 years. Hunted the Siamese Ponds Wilderness region for about 35 years until access just got to be too much because of frozen lake, etc... We now hunt the West Canada Lakes Wilderness region, primarily the Jessup River Wild Forest... We use a canvass 12x14 elk tent with 5' walls and a 9' center height. The wood stove keeps the tent like toast... Our base camp is 13 miles in the backcountry... We access it via a single lane logging road (4x4 a must have) that brings you through some of the most pristine wilderness you'll ever see... It's God's country...

We're looking to add 1, possibly 2 more hunters to our camp... This is no club, no log cabin... It's hunting in pristine wilderness and it doesn't get any better than that... We go up early muzzle loader season to set up camp and gather enough firewood for the whole season... We usually break camp on Thanksgiving in order to avoid the heavy snows that come late, which, could cause some problems getting out of there... Good navigational skills are a must have out there... 

If your retired and still love to hunt, don't hesitate to make an inquiry... There's lots of older guys out there that no longer have hunting companions, or the ability to set up a backcountry camp, but would really like to get back into it...

This is my 1st post on this site as I just found it... Not sure what to do from here but I'll give it my best shot.. You can text me at 518-577-0953 and I'll give you an Email address. However, since I had to put my Email address in my sign up, you may be able to contact me that way... I'm not sure...

At any rate, if your looking to hook up, give me a shout. 

Vinny...aka "Thebluesman5748"

Sounds intriguing, I will be texting you for details ! 

David #(845)798-3990

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 6:55 AM, Thebluesman5748 said:

Here's hoping these photo's went through... And yes, we are still looking for a serious backcountry hunter to join up with us. 

Your pics are not showing on my phone.  

Here are pics of a spike camp and my primary lodging, up where I hunt, on the NW corner of the park:

20210417_103542.jpg

20201019_121941.jpg

Edited by wolc123

• 5 months later...
Hunting Deep Backcountry

I only jump on this website once a year to see who's doing what for the hunt. I've been getting gear ready for 2 weeks now in anticipation of the hunt...

Again, we will be hunting the deep backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness... Heading up in 2 weeks to put up the Elk Tent and gather firewood for the whole season... It's a labor intensive weekend, but once the camp is set up and all the wood cut, split and stacked, we're ready to kick back and enjoy the sounds of the wilderness...

I've been hunting with a (30.06) Remington Woodmaster, model 742 for 45 years. It's a great hunting rifle. But as I age, that weapon just doesn't get any lighter.. I cover a lot of territory every day still hunting & tracking and I, after all these years, broke down and decided to retire my Remington for a lighter weapon...

Just bought a new Tikka T3X, (30.06) with synthetic stock, and a Leupold 3x9x50 scope... The bolt action on that weapon is really smooth. Total package weighs less than 6 1/2lb... That's almost 5lb less than my Remington. So now it looks like I've got to get the legs in better shape as I'll probably cover more territory...

Alright boys & girls, get focused and start thinking about the hunt... As for me, I can't wait to get up there. When I hear those coyote's howling I'll know I'm in God's country...

And remember... "It's not about the kill, It's about the Adventure"...
  • Like 1

30.06 is a good cartridge.  Though I don’t hunt with that caliber. I know many of fellow hunters a field use it .  Sounds like you really have yourself a nice gun, losing that much weight off the rifle i is amazing .  Should lighten you up a little bit at least give you the ability of a few more miles .   I’m headed back in tomorrow to cut some extra firewood .  If the water level is good there on the south branch hopefully I’ll be able to paddle it and not have to tagline everything and wade it.good luck be safe .

Hey Vinny, that new rifle sounds great, and you will definitely feel the difference as the miles add up. I’m carrying my 1895 SBL (.45-70), and have an Aimpoint micro on it (detachable) with xs ghost ring for when it rains or snows. It’s so thick where you and I go that I decided to forego the scope to save weight, and that little red dot is easy to get on target when taking a quick shot. 

good luck with setup, that’s half the fun!

Greg

I think you are going to love carrying that new rifle up there Vinny, and I hope to hear of you getting a buck with it this year.   I also think it was a good move, sticking with a 30/06.  I have only killed 2 Adirondack bucks, but both were DRT, using Federal classic 150 grain from my old Ruger M77 30/06.   What ammo will you be using ?

As I am getting older, my old, full-sized Ruger has gotten too difficult to carry up there.   It is more the bulk and long barrel than the weight that make it a problem for me.   My big, heavy T/C omega 50 cal ML has those same issues, but has taken a couple nice Adirondack doe for me during the early ML weeks.

I am very thankful that a few more wmu’s in the park will be open for those again this year.  I will be bringing along my old Traditions fox river 50, sidelock carbine ML this year.  I hope to break it in with a kill.   It weighs less than half of what my T/C omega does, and is about 2/3 as long, so it should be much easier to carry.

I will be up there though opening weekend of gun and I think I will leave the big Ruger 30/06.   That is the only caliber that I have ever killed a deer with (the 2 Adirondack white tails and a Rocky Mountain muley).

I have yet to try my 30/30 on one, but hope to on that weekend.   I have a Marlin 336BL, with fiber optic sights, for rainy or snow conditions.  I will use my father in law’s scoped standard version in fair weather conditions.  We have plenty of 150 gr ammo for those, but I d add m down to less than two boxes for my 30/06.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, Thebluesman5748 said:

Does anyone here own a Tikka T3X 30.06..? If so, what's your opinion of the rifle...?

I had one in my hands a couple of years ago and it was a good deal.  Loved how it fit and how light it was but I didn't like the safety on it.  So I ended up with a Ruger American 30/06.  But they are def a good gun.  It will do the job if you do yours it will take down anything.  I shoot 165 grain Fusions. Dropped a doe in it's tracks at 200 last year.  

When I hunt the dacks I carry a Winchester 30/30 with a 4x scope. It's short, light and also for sentimental reasons. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Hey, I want to thank all you hunters on your feedback... It was a toss up between my Tikka and a Ruger American, but the Ruger was camo, as well as the barrel which had a suppressor on the end of it for recoil. Didn't care for the color and had no other to choose from... So be it... Ammo of choice... 180 grain core lokt soft point. 

Damn, came out in the barn this morning at 5:00 and it was 46 degrees. Didn't take me long to fire up the wood stove. And I also noticed that my neck had started to swell and I was grunting at my dog... What does that tell ya....?

Hey GG... I know it will be a while before you guys head into Moose, so I'll send you an update on the foliage and visibility after we set up... 

And remember... "It's not about the kill, It's about the Adventure...

Bluesman

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got into the backcountry and set up camp for hunting. It was indeed a labor intensive weekend but we lucked out...no rain... We came up a little short on the wood supply because we were beat, and got into the bourbon a bit too much... but will remedy that soon.

I followed several "foliage reports" prior to heading up and I can tell you that they're all wrong... The trees are still loaded with green foliage... some color but nothing to brag about... Not many leaves on the ground considering the elevation we were at... I can only assume they haven't had a heavy frost as of yet...but we've got almost 3 weeks to open rifle...

Biggest disappointment...No coyote's howling at night, but I did manage to find some scat which told me they were definitely around.

Bluesman...

• Like 1

I am glad to hear of the delayed foliage turn report.  It is usually a little bit post-peak, by the time I head up for opening of early ML.   The best scenery up there for me is a dead even tie between peak fall color and first good snow cover.   The hunting is 10x easier with the latter, but the fishing is better with the former.

Hopefully, this will be one of those rare years, when both of those happen in the 10 day span when I am up there starting on Friday October 15.

I am also glad to hear of the missing coyotes this year.  I noticed the same thing in my trips up to the NW corner of the park this year.  I had an encounter with one up there a few years ago and I think they put a hurting on the deer numbers when there are too many around.  That also hurts themselves.  Rumor has it, that distemper has wiped most of them out.

Edited by wolc123