Looking For Serious Backcountry Hunters...

Thebluesman5748

We finally got into the backcountry and set up camp for hunting. It was indeed a labor intensive weekend but we lucked out...no rain... We came up a little short on the wood supply because we were beat, and got into the bourbon a bit too much... but will remedy that soon.

I followed several "foliage reports" prior to heading up and I can tell you that they're all wrong... The trees are still loaded with green foliage... some color but nothing to brag about... Not many leaves on the ground considering the elevation we were at... I can only assume they haven't had a heavy frost as of yet...but we've got almost 3 weeks to open rifle...

Biggest disappointment...No coyote's howling at night, but I did manage to find some scat which told me they were definitely around.

Bluesman...

• Like 1

Does anyone here own a Tikka T3X 30.06..? If so, what's your opinion of the rifle...?

I have one and love it, I love it so much I had it rebored to a 35whelen.

Recoils a bit stout but it’s a shooter with a ridiculously smooth bolt, a great trigger and the 60deg. Bolt throw is Awesome for low scope mounting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And now for the hunt...

Will be heading up to camp this Thursday for the open of rifle on Saturday... Plan to stay 5-6 days this trip and the temperatures look prime for hunting. Mid 40's during the day with mid to low 30's at night. Deep in the backcountry where we are it will most likely be colder... Thank you God...

Between now and Thanksgiving we anticipate spending 25 days or more at camp hunting... We do, however, come out a few times for a quick breather.

Best of luck to all you cowboys out there...

And remember... "It's not about the Kill, it's about the Adventure"...
Bluesman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Thebluesman5748 said:
And now for the hunt...

Will be heading up to camp this Thursday for the open of rifle on Saturday... Plan to stay 5-6 days this trip and the temperatures look prime for hunting. Mid 40's during the day with mid to low 30's at night. Deep in the backcountry where we are it will most likely be colder... Thank you God...

Between now and Thanksgiving we anticipate spending 25 days or more at camp hunting... We do, however, come out a few times for a quick breather.

Best of luck to all you cowboys out there...

And remember... "It's not about the Kill, it's about the Adventure"...
Bluesman

Sounds awesome,good luck to you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

We're heading back in Thursday for 11+ days... As of now, the weather looks prime for hunting but it changes so fast... Looking for that white powder.

Went up for 6 days last week for the opener... Saturday night it dropped down to 18 degrees, and in the morning the ground was white with a heavy frost. By Monday the rains came...

Put up a nice buck in the heavy pines down in the swamp but I had my rifle slung over my shoulder. By the time I got it up into firing position that buck was gone...long gone. Never saw it again. I stalked the area almost 2 hours without a trace of that deer... That buck doesn't know it but, "I'll be back"...

Bluesman...

• Like 2

We're heading back in Thursday for 11+ days... As of now, the weather looks prime for hunting but it changes so fast... Looking for that white powder.

Went up for 6 days last week for the opener... Saturday night it dropped down to 18 degrees, and in the morning the ground was white with a heavy frost. By Monday the rains came...

Put up a nice buck in the heavy pines down in the swamp but I had my rifle slung over my shoulder. By the time I got it up into firing position that buck was gone...long gone. Never saw it again. I stalked the area almost 2 hours without a trace of that deer... That buck doesn't know it but, "I'll be back"...

Bluesman...

Leave that damn sling in camp or in your pocket. You only need them for dragging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

We gave up on our quest for another serious backcountry hunter via hunting forums last year.... Lots of replies but all "wanna be's" with little or no experience whatsoever... So be it... The last thing you want with a newby is "search & rescue" at the end of a long hunting day... 

Heading up Monday for 3 days to set up the elk tent. Hunting again in the deep backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness. Another backcountry hunter who camps about a mile from us was up there setting up camp last week. He informed me that visibility was "piss poor" with thick foliage. Been getting hammered with rain up there lately, yet those trees refuse to drop their leaves. They got frost twice up there in the last week and hopefully that will help. Wet snow expected tomorrow night which should really help get those leaves down. 

Just want to wish all you serious Adirondack hunters the best of luck this year. With these drastic "temperature swings" via global warming, only God knows what the weather will bring to us hunters. We could get snow one day, but the following day it could be 60 degrees, or visa versa. So be it...

And remember: "It's not about the Kill, it's about the Adventure"...

Bluesman

• Like 5

On 10/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Thebluesman5748 said:

Bluesman

Sounds good, but I always feel just a little empty (and hungry) if there’s no killin involved.  Good luck up there.  I can’t wait till next Friday, when I head up for (9) days of hunting and fishing.  I am going to try for some brook trout, along with deer and smallmouth bass.  

My wife is up there now. She said that her dad found one trapped in a spot, where the beavers had built a dam, and the water had then receded.  He got it back into the lake alive.  If I catch any, they will be dinner.  

Edited by wolc123

On 10/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Thebluesman5748 said:

We gave up on our quest for another serious backcountry hunter via hunting forums last year.... Lots of replies but all "wanna be's" with little or no experience whatsoever... So be it... The last thing you want with a newby is "search & rescue" at the end of a long hunting day... 

Heading up Monday for 3 days to set up the elk tent. Hunting again in the deep backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness. Another backcountry hunter who camps about a mile from us was up there setting up camp last week. He informed me that visibility was "piss poor" with thick foliage. Been getting hammered with rain up there lately, yet those trees refuse to drop their leaves. They got frost twice up there in the last week and hopefully that will help. Wet snow expected tomorrow night which should really help get those leaves down. 

Just want to wish all you serious Adirondack hunters the best of luck this year. With these drastic "temperature swings" via global warming, only God knows what the weather will bring to us hunters. We could get snow one day, but the following day it could be 60 degrees, or visa versa. So be it...

Bluesman

Not many still do the backcountry camping the way you guys do. Most rent or own a cabin, or rent a motel/hotel room. I've done the tent thing a few times when I was younger up around Benson, enjoyed it then, and could probably do a weekend in a hot tent, but these old bones probably wouldn't take a week of hot tenting anymore. Now, I rent a cabin and the two areas I hunt are about 5 miles down a bunch of winding back roads.

Enjoy your trip, brother! If you would, please post up some pictures of your camp, so I can live vicariously through your group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Not many still do the backcountry camping the way you guys do. Most rent or own a cabin, or rent a motel/hotel room. I've done the tent thing a few times when I was younger up around Benson, enjoyed it then, and could probably do a weekend in a hot tent, but these old bones probably wouldn't take a week of hot tenting anymore. Now, I rent a cabin and the two areas I hunt are about 5 miles down a bunch of winding back roads.

Enjoy your trip, brother! If you would, please post up some pictures of your camp, so I can live vicariously through your group.

I hunted in the  dax only  5 or 6 times in my life , we just got the closes hotel motel near where we wanted to hunt up there and just got up and drove and walked in and out  each day  plenty of space did not see a single hunter in the woods at those places I was at, was great time .

Edited by phantom

• 9 months later...

I am still looking for another backcountry hunter to join my camp

I am retired and looking for another retiree who wants to spend some serious time in the backcountry

The first entry in this forum tells it all but I am not too particular anymore as I age and as long as you know your way around the woods 

Give me a shout 

• 2 months later...

Hit the southern zone yesterday bow hunting /// My partner dropped a nice 7 pointer /// Of course we're both "old school" and neither of us has a smart phone so we couldn't take a photo to post here /// We quit at noon and came back to my barn where we spent (5) hours butchering the prize /// The meat was just beautiful and we cooked a few steaks with onions and olive oil on my wood stove while we cut the meat /// Next move is the Jessup River Wild Forest for the remainder of the season ///
And remember: It's not about the kill - It's about the Adventure

• Like 2

• 3 months later...