F-150

Moho81

I know a few new/newer F-150's where purchased by the forum recently, I'm debating on moving up to a 2018 supercrew with the 2.7 liter engine. My only concern is towing with it but I've been looking online and it seems that the 2.7 is really good for towing. The heaviest thing I tow is a camper that's 4,750 pounds fully loaded which is well below the towing capacity. 

Any one with the 2.7 have a real world experience to share?

I have the 2.7 , I have only towed my boat with it which is a lot lighter.  Just in driving it there seems to be plenty of power.  I really don't know the boat is back there with this truck more so than the Nissan I had.  But haven't towed anything that heavy. We have some at work and tow maint trailers with mowers on them ok. Just be sure you have good trailer brakes too. 

I bought the 5.0 liter F150 KingRanch crew 4x4
it gets great little mileage and will pull anything I need it to

I have the 5.0 right now and I can’t complain about its towing capability. Daily driving mpg’s ain’t that bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father has the 2.7l. Everyday driving its great, towing his pontoon boat and the gas mileage drops like a rock. Obviously thats expected with a boosted motor, so just be ready for 8ish mpg. But other than that its a fun little motor.

The mpg drop is the biggest complaint I’ve seen online. I only tow the heavy camper 3-4 times a year so it’s not a big concern I do tow a light utility trailer with the ATV/ lawn mower on it probably 12 times a year but that doesn’t weight much in total. I just don’t want it to struggle pulling it. Nothing worse than having a truck that won’t get out of its own way while towing.

• Like 1

I am a first time ford truck owner and my experience has not been great so far. I have a 2018 super crew with the 5.0 liter. I thought I did my homework on trucks, but I guess I didn’t do enough. I was dead set on the 5 liter because I historically keep my trucks a long time and turbos scared me off a bit. Turns out my 5 liter is using oil, even after the dealer having it for a month replacing the cylinder heads. I suspect now they’ll do the short block. They couldn’t get Ford to go for the long block before...

I’m also not in love with the way the 10 speed transmission behaves.

Long story long, I love the way the truck looks, and I bought it because I thought it wouldn’t rust being aluminum, but I can’t say I’m totally happy with it.

The 2.7 seems to be fine, as well as the 3.5. Maybe in 2021 they’ve got the 5.0 sorted out. I know I’m not answering your question specifically, but I thought it was worthwhile to share.

13 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

I am a first time ford truck owner and my experience has not been great so far. I have a 2018 super crew with the 5.0 liter. I thought I did my homework on trucks, but I guess I didn’t do enough. I was dead set on the 5 liter because I historically keep my trucks a long time and turbos scared me off a bit. Turns out my 5 liter is using oil, even after the dealer having it for a month replacing the cylinder heads. I suspect now they’ll do the short block. They couldn’t get Ford to go for the long block before...

I’m also not in love with the way the 10 speed transmission behaves.

Long story long, I love the way the truck looks, and I bought it because I thought it wouldn’t rust being aluminum, but I can’t say I’m totally happy with it.

The 2.7 seems to be fine, as well as the 3.5. Maybe in 2021 they’ve got the 5.0 sorted out. I know I’m not answering your question specifically, but I thought it was worthwhile to share.

Issues with the 2.7 and 3.5 ,,,

Before I bought mine I bet I talked to no less then 12 actual owners ,heres what I was told

if you plan to tow get the 36 gallon tank

the 2.7 is a monster at towing

Get the trailer package 3.55 gears .

Nobody had any complaints about towing ,just the guys who didnt get the larger tank with they would have.

I bought a new Silverado. I got nothing to offer other than a ride when one of those turbos loses boost down the road when you're towing. Boosted motors can be animals but they aren't for longevity unless you're okay with working on them. IMO

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I bought a new Silverado. I got nothing to offer other than a ride when one of those turbos loses boost down the road when you're towing. Boosted motors can be animals but they aren't for longevity unless you're okay with working on them. IMO

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I hate the sounds of those small engines ,  like the rumble of my Coyote 5.0

No issues ! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Before I bought mine I bet I talked to no less then 12 actual owners ,heres what I was told

if you plan to tow get the 36 gallon tank

the 2.7 is a monster at towing

Get the trailer package 3.55 gears .

Nobody had any complaints about towing ,just the guys who didnt get the larger tank with they would have.

The one I have for a test ride through today only has the 26 gallon tank. My 13 has the 36 gallon tank and while it hurts the wallet to fill up from empty it's nice being able to drive 2 weeks without stopping for gas. I'm still not convinced that this particular truck is for me. I'm probably being way to picky but I don't need to upgrade so I suppose I can be picky.

This truck I will have to add in the trailer brake control which is $320. It does have the 3.55 rear end which is good for towing but it does not have the towing payload package which adds to the towing capacity by 1400 pounds. Tires are probably 2/3rds used up and they are just standard light truck tires. The tires on my 13 are Duratrac and only 9 months old.

The plus side of the truck is the 2.7 will get better daily driving MPG's by at least 3.5 extra miles per gallon. It's 5 years newer and has 75,000 less miles on it. It also has a couple of extra's as well like heated seats and built in navigation. Which aren't needed but nice. 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

I hate the sounds of those small engines ,  like the rumble of my Coyote 5.0

No issues ! 

Eh, I have the 5.0 Coyote engine now and yes it does sound nice but it's not a muscle car or even the same sound coming out of the 5.0 Coyote that's in the Mustang's. Besides a blown water pump on the highway the 5.0 has been trouble free. The 2.7 is faster like shockingly faster than the 5.0. 

19 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Eh, I have the 5.0 Coyote engine now and yes it does sound nice but it's not a muscle car or even the same sound coming out of the 5.0 Coyote that's in the Mustang's. Besides a blown water pump on the highway the 5.0 has been trouble free. The 2.7 is faster like shockingly faster than the 5.0. 

Fast means nothing ,, that 5.0 will tow that kids toy all over backwards !

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Fast means nothing ,, that 5.0 will tow that kids toy all over backwards !

You should do some research before saying things like this. The only 5.0l in a f150 i know that is actually impressive is my buddies that he put a whipple supercharger on. Thats a monster... the 2.7l is faster, and has torque at actual usable rev levels, like under 4500rpms compared to stock 5.0l.

• Like 1

https://dovimotorsinsider.com/27l-ecoboost-vs-50l-v8/#:~:text=ecoboost %241100 cheaper.-,Towing,or the 3.5L ecoboost.

Towing

Occasional light towing under 7800 lbs will be no trouble for the 2.7L ecoboost.  Regular towing or towing over 7800 lbs and you should go with the 5.0L V8 or the 3.5L ecoboost.

This biggest thing that jumped out at me in the article  is the mpg’s . I have a 60 mile (round trip ) drive to work,  all highway  in my  14 f150 5.0  with the 6 speed , I run the cruise  all the time at 76-78 I average 17.8 mpg’s . So if one can stay out of boost they may see better milage , but 1 mpg better, not significant enough to me  . 

Edited by rob-c

8 minutes ago, rob-c said:

https://dovimotorsinsider.com/27l-ecoboost-vs-50l-v8/#:~:text=ecoboost %241100 cheaper.-,Towing,or the 3.5L ecoboost.

Towing

Occasional light towing under 7800 lbs will be no trouble for the 2.7L ecoboost.  Regular towing or towing over 7800 lbs and you should go with the 5.0L V8 or the 3.5L ecoboost.

This biggest thing that jumped out at me in the article  is the mpg’s . I have a 60 mile (round trip ) drive to work,  all highway  in my  14 f150 5.0 I run the cruise  all the time at 76-78 I average 17.8 mpg’s . So if one can stay out of boost they may see better milage , but 1 mpg better,  pffft . 

only seems fitting that "towing" and Ford are used together so much in a post...lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

You should do some research before saying things like this. The only 5.0l in a f150 i know that is actually impressive is my buddies that he put a whipple supercharger on. Thats a monster... the 2.7l is faster, and has torque at actual usable rev levels, like under 4500rpms compared to stock 5.0l.

Yup seems it’s you that need to do some actual hands on, I have .

Bring any one of those little lawn mower engines over and hook ass to ass ..

Ive done it ... 

I don’t read the books and get my facts , I prefer to do a real test !

• Haha 1