F-150

Moho81

On 1/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, Moho81 said:

The one I have for a test ride through today only has the 26 gallon tank. My 13 has the 36 gallon tank and while it hurts the wallet to fill up from empty it's nice being able to drive 2 weeks without stopping for gas. I'm still not convinced that this particular truck is for me. I'm probably being way to picky but I don't need to upgrade so I suppose I can be picky.

This truck I will have to add in the trailer brake control which is $320. It does have the 3.55 rear end which is good for towing but it does not have the towing payload package which adds to the towing capacity by 1400 pounds. Tires are probably 2/3rds used up and they are just standard light truck tires. The tires on my 13 are Duratrac and only 9 months old.

The plus side of the truck is the 2.7 will get better daily driving MPG's by at least 3.5 extra miles per gallon. It's 5 years newer and has 75,000 less miles on it. It also has a couple of extra's as well like heated seats and built in navigation. Which aren't needed but nice. 

When my buddy was looking for a truck with all the options I wanted I texted him last minute to add navigation ,I'm so glad I did ,its very convenient .

4 hours ago, luberhill said:

Ha, they sound like a little Honda, kids toy

I'll just take that as you've never heard one spooled . Modern turbo technology has changed the game. I dont hate the sound of a v8 by any means but two turbos screaming sounds nasty.

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'll just take that as you've never heard one spooled . Modern turbo technology has changed the game. I dont hate the sound of a v8 by any means but two turbos screaming sounds nasty.

Oh I’ve driven and heard more than most ..

Nasty is right , it’s sounds cheesy

37 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Have you heard a 2.7 or 3.5 dig from a dead stop in sport mode . Something tells me you would enjoy it the same as a v8, different sound but equally as amusing . 

Sport mode is stupid and should be removed from all future trucks...

....because I am going to get into a lot of trouble if I use sport mode, holy hell was it fun. Reminded me of sitting right in the powerband of my 600cc sportbike instant response from the engine and transmission, and the sound! oh good lord the sound....  

• Like 1

....because I am going to get into a lot of trouble if I use sport mode, holy hell was it fun. Reminded me of sitting right in the powerband of my 600cc sportbike instant response from the engine and transmission, and the sound! oh good lord the sound....  

I didn't even know I had sport mode until last week. I'm a different person. I'm 4" taller. Food tastes better. My senses are more acute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, luberhill said:

Yup seems it’s you that need to do some actual hands on, I have .

Bring any one of those little lawn mower engines over and hook ass to ass ..

Ive done it ... 

I don’t read the books and get my facts , I prefer to do a real test !

Its amazing how your "test" disproves loads of factual numbers, and actual relevant testing done by numerous unaffiliated groups. Again i like the 5.0l, i owned a 2011, then a 2013 3.5l ecoboost, then a 2010 f250 6.4l deleted and tuned, then a 2017 gmc w/6.2l v8, and now a 2019 5.7l ram. The 5.0l was the dog of them all, other than the monster diesel the 6.2l gm motor is by far my favorite.

So drive what u like, i could care less:derisive:

Edited by Gencountyzeek

All this talk of towing, HP, and turbos is funny. My uncle is a multi-time superstock tractor pulling champ and has diesel shop. Pulling tractor had 4 monster turbos and burned so much fuel they injected water to keep the motor cool enough from melting down.They all used to tow tractors, weights, etc home with diesel dually pickups. Handful lived in the same area and they'd race each other home with there "stock" trucks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

All this talk of towing, HP, and turbos is funny. My uncle is a multi-time superstock tractor pulling champ and has diesel shop. Pulling tractor had 4 monster turbos and burned so much fuel they injected water to keep the motor cool enough from melting down.They all used to tow tractors, weights, etc home with diesel dually pickups. Handful lived in the same area and they'd race each other home with there "stock" trucks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That's another Avenue that the technology has gone bananas recently , those guys are making serious power and relatively safely . 

17 hours ago, Moho81 said:

novelty wore off pretty quick for me when I watched the instant mpg tracker haha. Same thing for the "terrain select" in the wife's truck. Yeah maybe if she remembers she will put it in ice/snow if 4x4 isn't needed, but I won't be driving through sand or ruts or gravel to the point of 2wd isn't working and 4x4 is too much. silly gimmick in my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

novelty wore off pretty quick for me when I watched the instant mpg tracker haha. Same thing for the "terrain select" in the wife's truck. Yeah maybe if she remembers she will put it in ice/snow if 4x4 isn't needed, but I won't be driving through sand or ruts or gravel to the point of 2wd isn't working and 4x4 is too much. silly gimmick in my opinion. 

My wife had the offroad modes in her explorer , they definitely worked if used properly ,99 percent of people with 4x4 never go off road

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Belo said:

I guess that's my point though, if you need 4x4 just go 4x4 and why bother with those terrain modes in 2wd?

The on demand or auto 4x4 is nice feature ,doesnt engage until it needs too. That's all my wifes explorer was ,each mode had it's own ratio of power delivery between the front and rear wheels. Some of the modes altered tje shift pattern as well I noticed . Serious mom mobile stuff I guess.

I didn't even know I had sport mode until last week. I'm a different person. I'm 4" taller. Food tastes better. My senses are more acute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you get any taller you're gonna decapitate yourself when you walk through a doorway

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I feel that way about a lot of the new tech options offered. It seems like they are things that you will use when you first get it then eventually either stop using it or get it set to your liking then never touch it again.

I was doing some reading on an F150 forum and some of the customization that can be done is pretty shocking. I guess that’s why a well equipped TRUCK is around $50,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2021 at 9:24 AM, Moho81 said:

I know a few new/newer F-150's where purchased by the forum recently, I'm debating on moving up to a 2018 supercrew with the 2.7 liter engine. My only concern is towing with it but I've been looking online and it seems that the 2.7 is really good for towing. The heaviest thing I tow is a camper that's 4,750 pounds fully loaded which is well below the towing capacity. 

Any one with the 2.7 have a real world experience to share?

I have had a couple campers that I have towed.  Also towed boats and snowmobile trailers.  When it comes to the campers or anything of that weight I wouldn't tow them without a 3/4 ton diesel.  I had a 1/2 ton with a 28 foot camper, used to take me a couple miles to get up to 65 on the highway.  Was at 65 in about half a mile with the diesel.  They are pricey but if you are going to tow a camper, large boat, snowmobile trailer, contractors trailer, etc that are pretty heavy i wouldn't get anything but a 3/4 ton diesel to tow with.  Just my opinion from my experience with pulling a camper and different trailers

17 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I feel that way about a lot of the new tech options offered. It seems like they are things that you will use when you first get it then eventually either stop using it or get it set to your liking then never touch it again.

I was doing some reading on an F150 forum and some of the customization that can be done is pretty shocking. I guess that’s why a well equipped TRUCK is around $50,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

things I like about my 19 silverado and 20 expedition that will not wear off

heated steering wheel. single favorite by far, no questions.

blind spot monitoring, i don't have to do anything for this one, but I really like it

backup cams of course, but they've been around a while

expedition has lane assist which vibrates the wheel if you're veering out of lane. again nothing I need to activate, but cool

remote tailgate release and push button on the tailgate of the silverado

carplay. enough said.

another thing that wore off real quick on the expedition is that leg kick thing to open the tailgate. It kinda works, but mostly doesn't and while I have needed it a few times over the years it's just sorta there and blah for me.

20 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

The on demand or auto 4x4 is nice feature ,doesnt engage until it needs too. That's all my wifes explorer was ,each mode had it's own ratio of power delivery between the front and rear wheels. Some of the modes altered tje shift pattern as well I noticed . Serious mom mobile stuff I guess.

ahh i gotcha. yeah my silverado has auto 4x4. I turn that on what it's snowy/cruddy and to your point it only kicks on when needed and you're not burning 4x4 gas to run it. I did read that you shouldn't leave it on as it still knocks fuel efficiency down a little. My wife's expedition doesn't have auto, so interesting that your explorer did.

I was mostly referring to the 2nd knob in the expedition that cycles between normal, eco, sport, tow, snow, sand etc.

btw, no shifter takes some getting used to. Going from park to drive and drive to reverse with a rotary dial on the center console is totally new to us.

21 hours ago, Belo said:

I guess that's my point though, if you need 4x4 just go 4x4 and why bother with those terrain modes in 2wd?

I picked up a 4Runner ORP at the end of 2019...has a rock crawl feature that works well off road and you can speed up or slow down by dial. I thought it was gimmicky, but it actually works well when off road to control throttle when you reach break over point and handles descent over jagged terrain. First time I've seen a gimmick like that work well IMO. I got super nervous to basically just hold the wheel and let the truck do everything else. It works though!

Edited by phade
  • Like 1