Help me introduce a youth to small game--places to hunt?

Hi everyone, new member here. I have mostly hunted in PA, haven't hunted NYS in decades. I have my current NYS license and looking to introduce my son to the sport. I'm looking to be able to drive from northern NJ  for a day trip so perhaps Ulster or Dutchess?  Essentially, I just want to be able to walk around, explore, find old rock walls and enjoy the outdoors. If we encounter squirrel or rabbit, all the better. We can go during the week and I am particularly interested in places where we won't encounter many other hunters.  I see the DEC maps but was hoping I could get some info to help narrow things down. Any insight appreciated.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, TrailGuy said:

Hi everyone, new member here. I have mostly hunted in PA, haven't hunted NYS in decades. I have my current NYS license and looking to introduce my son to the sport. I'm looking to be able to drive from northern NJ  for a day trip so perhaps Ulster or Dutchess?  Essentially, I just want to be able to walk around, explore, find old rock walls and enjoy the outdoors. If we encounter squirrel or rabbit, all the better. We can go during the week and I am particularly interested in places where we won't encounter many other hunters.  I see the DEC maps but was hoping I could get some info to help narrow things down. Any insight appreciated.  Thanks!

One way to keep state land areas free from hunting pressure, is by not telling others about it on a public hunting forum.

I found that there's a lot more people in the woods now, as the Rona has made the city slickers move out in all directions, so don't expect to find any land that's hunter/hiker free for the foreseeable future.

12 hours ago, TrailGuy said:

This time of year you shouldn't have to many issues with people out in the woods.  Atleast from what I've noticed around my area.  Wish I could help with the area you are in.  Good luck.

I don't have information on Ulster or Dutchess county, but if you have the time to make a drive & scout, for squirrels I would concentrate on fairly open hardwood stands, especially those that have hickories or oaks that dropped acorns last year.

For rabbits, I'd try to find thick clearcuts or new growth woodlots, the thicker the better, but if your son is young he may not like walking through the tangles.

I have hunted in Warren county, NJ. There is a lot of public land up there that sounds suitable, maybe try there since it closer to home?

Best of luck!

Edited by Uncle Nicky