Do u guys use drag dents when walking to your stand

luberhill

I don't.  Never had success with scents.  Most that use a drag rag do not lead it directly to the stand.  They drag it to (and around) the perimeter of that stands comfortable shooting range where a shot can be had and leave the rag elevated in a shooting spot.  The goal is to bring the deer into shooting range/position.

1 hour ago, DoubleDose said:

I don't.  Never had success with scents.  Most that use a drag rag do not lead it directly to the stand.  They drag it to (and around) the perimeter of that stands comfortable shooting range where a shot can be had and leave the rag elevated in a shooting spot.  The goal is to bring the deer into shooting range/position.

+1

I've had limited success with drag rags to the point its not something I do . I have had great success with creating mock scrapes and urinating in them or freshen up existing deer made scrapes. Urinating in scrapes makes for a great trail cam spot, get all sorts of critters using them.  But getting back to the OP and what was mentioned by double dose, the intent of a drag rag is not to lure the deer directly to your stand, but to a spot where a shot can be made, I will take that rag and hang in a tree.

21 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I use no scent , usually do not call at all unless i see deer i am trying to turn.  Seems to work alot better and be more sucessful without than with. 

Same here on both accounts. Scents just get all over my hands, clothes and truck and I never noticed any results

• Like 2

I do put some of the standard evercalm on my boot treads when walking in especially if I have to cross areas unknown are heavily used by deer. The spike as the end of the season this year walked my steps to his demise. And while young and dumb deer do dumb things, last year’s good 7 pointer followed my line too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, luberhill said:

Well part of the way to walk in I have to walk on the actual deer trail there is no other way

You can cross trail and parallel it no reason to walk on it .  Scent draws attention , clip trail.to your stand preseason, rubber boots and clean scent free clothes.

Giving up all scents made me a much better hunter.   Deer come in relaxed not on alert looking for a deer or other animal cover that they smell causing them to duck arrows and see the slightest movement.

Edited by G-Man
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

You can cross trail and parallel it no reason to walk on it .  Scent draws attention , clip trail.to your stand preseason, rubber boots and clean scent free clothes.

Giving up all scents made me a much better hunter.   Deer come in relaxed not on alert looking for a deer or other animal cover that they smell causing them to duck arrows and see the slightest movement.

Ah no I can’t ,it’s a ridge with steep dip on both side that can’t be walked , trust me I know 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Ah no I can’t ,it’s a ridge with steep dip on both side that can’t be walked , trust me I know 

If thats the case climb and hut that trail if its that good of a pinch point id would be hubting there 18 yards from it

• 3 weeks later...

I use drag rags successfully most years. The key is usage. Make sure the wind is correct for what you’re trying to do and use a good doe in heat type scent. The walk phase is about when you want to do it. Actually the best time for grunting to. 
I never load a rag up. I don’t need to be able to smell it, the deer do. Imo best if they’re almost/about smell what they think they are looking for. They keep straining to work it out and seem mesmerized. One word of caution I don’t grunt to a deer working a scent. Don’t change his mindset. Let him come. I’d only grunt after I saw a buck not near it and never grunt randomly. Just because others have no luck doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. It works perfectly at certain times though perhaps limited times. You’ve got to know when that is for best results.  
Once you see dead bucks all over the road in the fall the walk phase has typically started around about Halloween. Once the rut starts it’s over. 
As stated don’t drag it directly stopping at your tree, you wind up with a quartering to shot. I go past than semi circle before I hang it 

No because almost all the time I'm coming into the standing where I don't want them to be and try not walking across trails they will take to get there.

If I'm hunting say an ag field where I'm walking thru field or along edge if field to get to the stand then I will.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thinking more of it covering my sent 
Nothing you do will cover up your scent. The deer will smell everything, the scent, and you still. Try to reduce your scent as much as feasible given your situation.

A drag will have a deer coming in nose to ground likely down wind from your stand as that's how you should be approaching it. Not good. You get busted often by a younger curious buck or doe before that big buck gets there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk