Breech plug grease ?

luberhill

24 minutes ago, luberhill said:

What do u guys use on the threads ?

I use the Thompson center https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Center-Breech-Grease-65oz/dp/B008W1QB5M

That tube will last you years. Just a touch and some advice. Do not over tighten the plug when putting it back in. After I clean mine it get a thin bead straight down the one side of the plug. rub flat with your finger and spin in. using the "socket part of the breech wrench just go hand tight. no need to use the rod at all installing the plug. You'll thank me when taking it out...lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It would seem the teflon would break down and get jammed up in the threads. Thus more of a pain to clean. I have not used in this application just basing it off what I see on my pool connections with teflon.

I only used teflon tape once when sighting in my Encore with a new scope . Fired 9-10 shots . I cleaned the barrel every 2 shots by putting a patch over my brush and putting solvent on the back half of the patch. Didn't take the breech plug out until I got home . When I took it out to give the gun the full cleaning , the teflon tape was melted into all the threads. Had to get a wire brush to scrape the plastic out of all the threads . Took me 3 times as long to clean the breech plug than it did to clean the gun . Maybe it would of been ok for 3-4 shots but it sure made a mess with 10 shots . Never had a problem using grease and firing even more shots than 10 . 

• Like 2

Using teflon tape in place of breech plug grease is the best way to go. And you can use the pink tape over the white as it is stronger. There is no mess with tape as there is with grease and it usually comes right off after your shooting session. Just wrap your breech plug with one tight layer of tape and put it in the rifle. Seals breech good with no blowback and will not cause your BP to stick like sometimes happens with grease. My two cents and experience