Breech plug grease ?

luberhill

I just follow the directions in the manuals that came with my muzzleloaders.  (Lately that is just my Savage 10 ML II, it calls for some mil spec grease that looks like aluminum paste.)  I use cheap nitrile gloves from HF when applying the recommended grease, gloves go in a sealable baggie on my workbench, no mess at all.  I discard them at the end of the season.  A small amount of grease goes a long way.

3 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

I only used teflon tape once when sighting in my Encore with a new scope . Fired 9-10 shots . I cleaned the barrel every 2 shots by putting a patch over my brush and putting solvent on the back half of the patch. Didn't take the breech plug out until I got home . When I took it out to give the gun the full cleaning , the teflon tape was melted into all the threads. Had to get a wire brush to scrape the plastic out of all the threads . Took me 3 times as long to clean the breech plug than it did to clean the gun . Maybe it would of been ok for 3-4 shots but it sure made a mess with 10 shots . Never had a problem using grease and firing even more shots than 10 . 

Yea that’s what I figured 

3 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Idk I’m not a real squeamish guy with dirt on my hands.  I guess but I don’t recall any real issues and I use it on chokes and obviously car parts fairly regular. 

I use the silver Permatex stuff and most folks I know that use it, including me, complain that once this stuff gets on your hands it is difficult to remove and then it gets everywhere.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I use the silver Permatex stuff and most folks I know that use it, including me, complain that once this stuff gets on your hands it is difficult to remove and then it gets everywhere.  

I’m not doubting you. I use the silver stuff too. I never used any that wasn’t but like I said I don’t freak too much. Guess I’m a scrub but I seriously can’t remember real issues. It should be known in a blue collar guy so my hands are in all kinds of stuff. 
Someone said they use gloves. That’d fix the issue pretty easily. 
You could use it to advantage too. Rub some on your buddy. When he goes to clean up grab his spot

4 hours ago, sbuff said:

Using teflon tape in place of breech plug grease is the best way to go. And you can use the pink tape over the white as it is stronger. There is no mess with tape as there is with grease and it usually comes right off after your shooting session. Just wrap your breech plug with one tight layer of tape and put it in the rifle. Seals breech good with no blowback and will not cause your BP to stick like sometimes happens with grease. My two cents and experience 

Teflon pipe tape is meant for use on tapered pipe threads, not straight threads like on a breech plug.   Another poster mentioned a melting/difficult cleanup issue with it.  

Have you ever used something like the gorilla grease that T/C makes and recommends for use on the breech plugs of their ML's ?  A small quantity around the first few threads, before installation is all it takes.  I think the tiny plastic jar that I bought 15 years ago cost less than $5, and I still have more than half of it left.  

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I'd never go back to grease of any type.i guess what works for one might not work for another 

I can't imagine using neverseeze, as some have mentioned.  That is nasty, dirty, difficult-cleaning stuff for sure.  Gorilla grease, by contrast, cleans up real easy.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I don't put anything on either of my muzzleloaders. The breech plugs sit on the top shelf of the safe all year, when it's time to sight in for the season right before late muzzle they go back in the gun. As soon as I'm done hunting for the year they get pulled, cleaned and go back on the top shelf. Never saw the point of the grease. I also don't use bore lube or anything either.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't put anything on either of my muzzleloaders. The breech plugs sit on the top shelf of the safe all year, when it's time to sight in for the season right before late muzzle they go back in the gun. As soon as I'm done hunting for the year they get pulled, cleaned and go back on the top shelf. Never saw the point of the grease. I also don't use bore lube or anything either.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sure is easy isn’t it? Have you tried a battery terminal cleaner for your breech plug and threads? When you run them dry it’s literally a 5 second job to clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bolt action said:

As for the mess with grease, I just use a q-tip. I am applying such a small amount that i just use one of these to put some on the threads and spread it a bit. No mess at all. Come to think of it, I did this a few years ago and have not had to reapply. 

Yea I have no mess either. It is just a touch on the threads. If the gun is fired it takes me less than 5 minutes to clean the whole gun, plug include.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

On my smokeless muzzleloader it recommended by the breech plug manufacturer to use teflon tape with a dab of lube, that's what I do and have no issues with sticking or cleanup.

What make .... I think if more tried it they would make the switch 

27 minutes ago, sbuff said:

What make .... I think if more tried it they would make the switch 

I started with a Remington 700 ml and did an Arrowhead conversion myself using one of their Brux prefits with a radial break, triggertech trigger and HS precision stock.  I topped it with a 20 MOA murphy rail, Leupold precision rings and a 4.5-14x50 VX-3L with M1 turrets.  74 grains of H4198 and a 275 grain Parker bullet at 2950 FPS, it shoots outstanding and is a lot of fun to shoot.  I'm going to convert my Encore this year for my father to use next fall as well.

5 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

I started with a Remington 700 ml and did an Arrowhead conversion myself using one of their Brux prefits with a radial break, triggertech trigger and HS precision stock.  I topped it with a 20 MOA murphy rail, Leupold precision rings and a 4.5-14x50 VX-3L with M1 turrets.  74 grains of H4198 and a 275 grain Parker bullet at 2950 FPS, it shoots outstanding and is a lot of fun to shoot.  I'm going to convert my Encore this year for my father to use next fall as well.

who are you considering getting the encore smokeless barrel from? I've been considering this myself

• 2 weeks later...