Any one ELK hunt here?

suburbanfarmer

Here’s where being a teacher really sucks- while i “have summers off” (hmmm....never had one of those for my 25 years teaching) and “only work until 3:00” (most days in normal non Covid years im coaching or Tutoring after school) I have zero control over my vacation with the exception of a hand fully of personal days to use (not connected to holidays and not used consecutively).

One year the stars aligned for a late start to school and an early bear Maine hunt. My hunts either have to wait until retirement (that’s scary!) or I need to slot some adventures in around a calendar not set by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about piecing together sick and personal days? If you have been in the gig for 25 years you must have plenty of them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What about piecing together sick and personal days? If you have been in the gig for 25 years you must have plenty of them.

Easier said than done. There is so much pressure that one is always looking over their shoulder. Job security is tough these days

• Like 1

Doesn’t really work that way for teachers. I do indeed have well over 100 days “banked” of sick days but they are not really mine to use unless doctor notes are involved
It’s also not the right thing to do which does count for something

• Like 1

Agree 100%! If you have built an outstanding reputation in education.....which sounds like you have...and have the days in the bank I am sure using your time to take a week off to pursue a passion won't have you looking over your shoulder worrying about job security.

I worked out all summer prior to my NM elk hunt a few years ago. It definitely helped out. But even if you are in top shape, nothing you do will adequately prepare you for high altitude except getting to that altitude a few days early. I don't even think two days early is good enough. I was still sucking wind on the higher climbs and that was only at about 8000 ft. but pretty steep terrain. I've got points going is several states so hopefully a few more hunts in the near future while I'm still in decent shape. 

Crappy - one word: Sabbatical.
Write that book about the connections and sources of the English language and Western Elk Hunting. 

Some of the books still on my book list:
Old Man and the Sea...guess I should book a hand lining marlin trip
Call of the Wild...caribou hunt from dog sled sounds amazing
My Side of the mountain ....need to get me a hunting falcon!
The Most Dangerous Game....guess I could hunt the WNY academy members!!!

• Like 2

Agree 100%! If you have built an outstanding reputation in education.....which sounds like you have...and have the days in the bank I am sure using your time to take a week off to pursue a passion won't have you looking over your shoulder worrying about job security.

This would be nice...but it doesn’t really work that way

15 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Southern hemisphere is hunting in our summer.

Lots of places seasons are open close to year round.

Some cool adventures to be had if one expands their horizons.(and even places open during this corvid deal)  

Just sayin'

Any recommendations?  Places not super hard to travel too. Economical, fair chase with interesting good eating quarry?

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Any recommendations?  Places not super hard to travel too. Economical, fair chase with interesting good eating quarry?

Well, I can only base my answer on experiences I have, and never had a bag misplaced/lost, or trouble at customs (but some funny stories, and a couple of awesome folks met that made for memorable highlights); so I like to travel by air. So hard to travel too is relative. And all but one carrying a rifle too.

At one point I had flown 3 of the 5 longest international routes from the US, but those have all been eclipsed by long haul Asian destinations for the most part.

Modest price? I'd consider $4500 modest for an elk hunt and more is now the norm.

But hunts from say may to sept off top of my head.

I did birds, field and waterfowl, in Uraguay, cheaper then next door Argentina. Personally not a big shot gunner and had a fantastic experience.

Northern hemisphere; Roe deer in Europe is open in August. Some great deals in the Balkans and eastern European countries.Good eating too.

Good deals in Spain for managememt ibex pop up from time to time. 6 hrs overnight flight from JFK to Barcelona.  And only 2 hrs to hunting ground. Best food hands down ever across the board in Barcelona any place I have been, and accommodations modest by most city rates, but you have to look around.

Next door Portugal has Red Deer and some fun boar hunting. Often driven game and you have to be a good shot off hand and in a hurry, maybe not the best choice for a first time hunt.

More southern hemisphere; Namibia was open in corvid and will be open for hunting this year. So will be Zambia and Zimbabwe, but cheap is not the way to go there.  Need 72 hrs negative test and a couple airlines flying. A 8 day Namibian management hunt will run 2400 for 10 fair chase no fences animals and 1200 will get you there. Add some for tips and trinkets, say 800. Good hunting ethics there, good guides too. Can cut flight in 2 with a break in Europe and get on central African standard time too. No shots/ health risks and malaria area in not in play for inexpensive hunts so nothing needed for that either.

I did 10 animal package, fair chase,  management hunt in South Africa for 8 days (part of a longer trip) and didn't fill my quota( but did spend time looking for some nonmanagament animals too) Hunted right into the night.  16 hr days for a week, fantastic time all spent in the bush. Sat and called for predators after dark, all the rest walking/tracking or spot and stalk. Lots of big fence areas there, but open country can be found too.

I'd add New Zealand, just cost you airfare. Many management game areas open year round and easy to access.But it's a long trip. I live 2 hrs from JFK, it took 36 hrs my door to hotel front desk, it was a grind. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Like others have said, you have plenty of options out west to hunt elk. First you should answer some questions for yourself:

• When do you want to hunt? If next year, you need to look for places with OTC tags (over the counter).
    • If you thinking years down the road, start buying preference points. For example, I have 7 for elk points in Wyoming because they are reasonably priced and no license purchase needed. Someday I'll go, but not sure when.
  • Next is what type of weapon? Bow or Rifle? This likely will give you your answer for dates on when you can go.
  • Next is price range & type of hunt?
    • Airfare, Hotels, Licenses, Stateland? you'll need to some scouting, etc.
    • Airfare, Licenses, Outfitter? you'll want to do lots of research and read reviews, etc. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and don't be afraid to negotiate on price. Maybe you can combine it with a mule deer or antelope hunt depending on the season.

The drawings for a lot of States - maybe all - for 2021 hunting have not happened yet.  There is still time to draw a tag for the fall.

I did one public land DIY hunt in Colorado.  I drove out there alone and bowhunted solo in an OTC zone.  It was tough hunting and I didn't connect but I had a great experience. I also saw elk and other wildlife.  I am planning to try again in 2022.  I have a few preference points for Colorado so I will probably go back there.  I have considered MT too though.  I guess you have a much higher success rate if you are willing to drop $10,000+ on a trip but I did it cheap and enjoyed it a lot.  

• Like 3