Nice 10pt Survived the Season!

Cabin Fever

I don't put a ton of stock in new bucks at this time of year. I've only ever once seen a buck (that I can remember) showing up the first time this time of year and being around in season the following year. And that buck I ended up finding some night late season (but still open) images from the prior year anyhow. 

Food drives alot of things, but here is to hoping a shift or disruption causes a permanent change!!!!

I have a bunch of two year olds that are missing. Out of 4 that were distinct only one has shown up on cam. My cell cams are dead right now except for the two I have in rabbit cover. I have another dozen or so cams out that havent been pulled since late November.
Soon as i come back from cat catching I will pull them all and see what of anything made it.

• Like 1

Here too.  I have several decent bucks that have shown up on my camera since the season ended.  Our property is surrounded by public hunting land but the pressure has been light the past couple years for some reason.  I guess next year should be a good year.  This is the the biggest one:

6CA411F5-D4F9-480B-96A1-616AEE8F9018.jpeg

Edited by Fat Dan
  • Like 6

Great pics of some beautiful bucks !! I think a lot more survive the season than we hunters realize. Not too long ago , I used to wonder how any bucks survived the season ( when considering the sheer size of the orange  army) ; now , I Wonder how hunters Are able to get any cuz they seem to be so damn elusive and smart!!! Lol 

We used to have really intense hunting pressure where I hunt.  There is about 10,000 acres of public land and it was crawling with hunters 25 years ago.  Sometimes it was downright scary and I would dress head to toe in orange.  This year I saw 1 other hunter that was not in my group.  There are cars at the access points and you hear some shooting but it is amazing how few hunters there are compared to when I started hunting.  Back then, I think very few bucks made it through.  On top of the pressure, there were no antler restrictions and nobody I knew passed up a shot at a legal buck.  I don't know it the change is just less hunters overall or if it is because archery has gotten so popular.  Guys that I know who were always mountain hunters are killing most of their bucks these days in suburban woodlots with bows or crossbows.  I think it must be a combination of those things and maybe others as well.  

The bucks are living longer now and there are some surprisingly good bucks on public land now.  Here is one that made it through last winter.  I am starting to think it might be the same buck that I posted above.  The pic was taken in the same spot around this time last year.  What do you think, same buck?

FE9DF8E4-5238-4948-8AE2-35335CCBD091.png

4597B6E7-0921-4895-BE29-A1B78C8BF760.png

Edited by Fat Dan
  • Like 1

Hey FD. hard to tell but it certainly looks like the same Buck to me!  I agree that hunting pressure has significantly declined over the past 20-30 yrs or so and, no doubt, has had an impact on increasing survival rate. Also, like you said, I think that  deer are "figuring it out" and migrating down to Suburbia where theres more food, fewer Predators and fewer Hunters. Property with the highest deer density is, nearly without exception, suburban and/or agricultural; consequently, some of your best chances to score are likely to be, literally , in someones  back yard!

Yeah.  I live in an sort of suburban (technically designated as urban but not all rowhomes) area.  There are deer in high numbers anywhere that there are a few acres of woods.  There is no legal hunting in my town but a bit farther into the suburbs, there are a lot of small, private woodlots where people bow hunt.  It is hard to get access though.  Some of these places are crawling with deer.  I personally hunt as much for the experience/pursuit so it doesn't appeal to me enough to seek permission in these spots.  I know people who do really well though.