Mail Out/In Trapping Course

SilentStalker

My brother traps but some of our friends group have not taken the course. My brother reached out to [email protected] regarding potential course offerings and below is the response he received for anyone that may be interested.

Good afternoon,

In order for New York State to accept a hunter, bowhunter, or trapper education certificate, it must come from a course that meets the minimum standards set forth by the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA). Unlike the hunter and bowhunter education courses, there is no pre-existing online trapper education course that meets this standard. This means that NYS will not accept any trapper education certificate earned online at this time. We are in the process of creating our own NYS online trapper education course, but this is proving to be a lengthy process and it will not be finished in time for this year’s (2020-2021 license year) trapping seasons. However, it will be ready prior to next year’s (2021-2022 license year) trapping seasons.

We are currently offering a mail-in home study trapper education course for NY residents. For this course, we mail you the reading materials, worksheets, and final exam. You provide postage and mail the completed portions back to us. If you pass the worksheets and final exam with an 80% or higher, we will mail you your certificate. There is no need to go to an in-person course, but you are welcome to if you decide that you would like the hands on instruction; in that case you can show your  certificate in place of the required homework. Please note that depending on the volume of home study course participation, it may take up to 2-4 weeks for your certificate to be mailed after your packet has been received. Additionally, if the governor mandates that our offices must close again, we will not be able to grade returned packets until we reopen. If you are interested in this option, please provide your full name, mailing address, and county.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

My brother traps but some of our friends group have not taken the course. My brother reached out to [email protected] regarding potential course offerings and below is the response he received for anyone that may be interested.

Good afternoon,

In order for New York State to accept a hunter, bowhunter, or trapper education certificate, it must come from a course that meets the minimum standards set forth by the International Hunter Education Association (IHEA). Unlike the hunter and bowhunter education courses, there is no pre-existing online trapper education course that meets this standard. This means that NYS will not accept any trapper education certificate earned online at this time. We are in the process of creating our own NYS online trapper education course, but this is proving to be a lengthy process and it will not be finished in time for this year’s (2020-2021 license year) trapping seasons. However, it will be ready prior to next year’s (2021-2022 license year) trapping seasons.

We are currently offering a mail-in home study trapper education course for NY residents. For this course, we mail you the reading materials, worksheets, and final exam. You provide postage and mail the completed portions back to us. If you pass the worksheets and final exam with an 80% or higher, we will mail you your certificate. There is no need to go to an in-person course, but you are welcome to if you decide that you would like the hands on instruction; in that case you can show your  certificate in place of the required homework. Please note that depending on the volume of home study course participation, it may take up to 2-4 weeks for your certificate to be mailed after your packet has been received. Additionally, if the governor mandates that our offices must close again, we will not be able to grade returned packets until we reopen. If you are interested in this option, please provide your full name, mailing address, and county.

nice. how do you request the mail in home stuff?

11 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

This will be a fun covid project....I have coons up the wazooo on a few properties and assume my boys would love a coon skin cap.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Agreed, my bro is rather new to it (3rd year) and is loving it. He is "self taught" so i think that pushes him a little more to succeed. Kind of like tying your own flies and catching fish.

Should get it about in time for all the land trapping to be closed...lol. 

Having just taken the in person course 2 years ago I would suggest that if any of you do this at home or online, still go to an in person course if and when they open back up. The hands on and demonstration aspect of the in person can't be replicated on paper or a screen in my opinion. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Should get it about in time for all the land trapping to be closed...lol. 

Having just taken the in person course 2 years ago I would suggest that if any of you do this at home or online, still go to an in person course if and when they open back up. The hands on and demonstration aspect of the in person can't be replicated on paper or a screen in my opinion. 

I too was advised to do the in person as well when it comes back up.

Side note concerning my joke above. 

Get into it for the fun, the management or just to get out in nature and learn something. DON"T get into it for the $$$

Jan 2021 local fur auction up in Ballston Spa

Species Quantity Average
Rats 722 3.20
Red Fox 21 6.99
skunk 1 6.00
Beaver 123 10.20
Castor 16lbs 76.39
coon 28 3,32
coyote 45 20.13
Fisher 74 22.84
gray fox 8 13.16
pine marten 3 22.83