Mail Out/In Trapping Course

SilentStalker

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Too bad they aren't worth much these days. If fur got a decent price, I would really consider it and create a nice little western hunt trip fund from it.

The time to learn and practice skinning, fleshing and putting up furs is when the prices are low. NOT on a $100 fur. I'd much rather screw up a $5 coon

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Side note concerning my joke above. 

Get into it for the fun, the management or just to get out in nature and learn something. DON"T get into it for the $$$

Jan 2021 local fur auction up in Ballston Spa

Species Quantity Average
Rats 722 3.20
Red Fox 21 6.99
skunk 1 6.00
Beaver 123 10.20
Castor 16lbs 76.39
coon 28 3,32
coyote 45 20.13
Fisher 74 22.84
gray fox 8 13.16
pine marten 3 22.83
mink 29 6,53
otter 9 15.94

yikes, and after considering the amount of work to skin and tan... 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

yikes, and after considering the amount of work to skin and tan... 

Last i read you could still get $70-75 for western coyotes (prettier fur), whereas eastern ones are like $20. Same with bobcats- those western & texas ones go for like $150 whereas the eastern ones are half that at best

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Last i read you could still get $70-75 for western coyotes (prettier fur), whereas eastern ones are like $20. Same with bobcats- those western & texas ones go for like $150 whereas the eastern ones are half that at best

It isn't "prettier" fur. It's more consistent in color basically. A black coyote would have value as a pelt or to a taxidermist but would not sell well at all in the garment market, (the way I understand it). There are eastern coyotes that will grade just as well as the westerns but it is because they share the more marketable color. Less sorting and trimming and labor to make something out of uniform color fur and that color may sell better so it's worth more.

There are grade considerations for thickness and fur quality but a Maine or NY coyote is pretty much gonna have as thick of fur as most westerns. (from what I have read). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Something else to remember. Those prices are to a middle man buyer. They will either use or sell to a market they have or ship to the large auctions. They are speculating and @Biz-R-OWorld, how would your prices be if you were speculating? 

Biz doesnt speculate when it comes to dollars ,only exact amounts .

Having spent a couple days with Dino on just two hides I can comfortably say if you want to earn money for a hunting trip, get a paper route. Its a TON of work. Rewarding though

I would sell green unskinned if worth it. But clearly not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

$88 for western coyotes in 2019 and over $100 in 2018.

That was driven by Canada Goose Parkas

Remember those are averages too. If you see a fur report it will say how many of each species and grade were offered. how many sold and what the high low and average was. Last year large sections of the fur sent didn't even sell

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

That was driven by Canada Goose Parkas
Remember those are averages too. If you see a fur report it will say how many of each species and grade were offered. how many sold and what the high low and average was. Last year large sections of the fur sent didn't even sell

I saw a guy on bowsite has the Goal of 400 coyotes each year. He has 15 yote days often. Do you think he sells them as huge lots or they go through each one- one by one?

I saw a guy on bowsite has the Goal of 400 coyotes each year. He has 15 yote days often. Do you think he sells them as huge lots or they go through each one- one by one?

Depends on his market. At an auction each is graded and could be put in lots with other peoples furs that are similar grade and color. I’ve never been to an auction. I’m going by conversation and reading
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Water rat after browsing a bunch of previous posts on trapping so seem to have a great deal of experience. What do you personally do with the animals you trap? Do you target specific animals? Just curious.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I just started trapping again a few years ago. I’m only targeting bobcats for taxidermy purposes. Back in the 1990’s , I was averaging $11.00 per rat. I would take some 110’s and set up the Hudson River marshes at low tide. I would return the next day at low tide and have 15 - 20 rats each morning. It was easy money but I would have made more money working overtime. Lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

i wouldn't mind skinning and dropping off somewhere. I sure as shit don't want to tan though.

Most going to auction or sold to a buyer is skinned, fleshed and boarded. I know around some areas of the country they will by then whole animal, or just skinned. obviously the more done, usually, the more they bring. Auction prices will reflect skinned, fleshed and boarded