Mail Out/In Trapping Course

SilentStalker

22 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Most going to auction or sold to a buyer is skinned, fleshed and boarded. I know around some areas of the country they will by then whole animal, or just skinned. obviously the more done, usually, the more they bring. Auction prices will reflect skinned, fleshed and boarded 

makes sense. Even the fleshing board process looks like a mess and hassle. I'm not trying to be such a negative Nancy here, I plan to do some predator hunting and would like to trap too, I just can't seem to convince myself the ROI is there.

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

In the current market there is no ROI. Like I said before. Perfect time to learn it and hone your skills.  That would be the return rather than ruining a $150 otter you can practice on a $3 coon

I should clarify, when I meant ROI for me with regards to satisfaction. 

Like with deer, I spend way more than I receive in meat. But the satisfaction, excitement, meat etc. gets me out there. I just can't seem to find that drive for trapping, but I also have 3 kids under 8 so time is precious. maybe someday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Belo said:

makes sense. Even the fleshing board process looks like a mess and hassle. I'm not trying to be such a negative Nancy here, I plan to do some predator hunting and would like to trap too, I just can't seem to convince myself the ROI is there.

The  best " Return On Investment " you get from predator hunting and trapping coyotes is they are no longer out there eating the deer you want to hunt .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

The  best " Return On Investment " you get from predator hunting and trapping coyotes is they are no longer out there eating the deer you want to hunt .

probably more for turkey. Yeah we have yotes and yeah they take down some fawns. I do think the numbers are smaller than some want to think they are.

i have zero evidence or studies to support this haha

Question of the day.....for the 6 day Fisher season.....online it just says the pelt needs to be sealed. In the regs book it says pelt sealed and submit lower jaw or skull of all harvested fishers?
What did guys that trapped one this year do....if I remember correctly a few have been taken on this site before.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Question of the day.....for the 6 day Fisher season.....online it just says the pelt needs to be sealed. In the regs book it says pelt sealed and submit lower jaw or skull of all harvested fishers?
What did guys that trapped one this year do....if I remember correctly a few have been taken on this site before.

Had to email or call and get the free permit prior to the season. (this is for Fisher or Marten). There is also a log that askes about days trapped, what was caught and how many sets. They will ask you the area you want to trap in for their records.  When you go to get the pelt sealed (had to make an appointment becasue of COVID). Any regional HQ will do it. You have to give them the lower jaw or the head. They seemed very appreciative that I already had the head in a ziplock and didn't just hand them a head...lol I really wanted to entire head and take it someplace to have the beetles clean it. Without the lower jaw I wasn't interested. 

Edit (some areas have a season that is much longer than the 6 or so days. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

So the skull or lower jaw requirements are part of the special permit? Since no other animals have that requirement attached to them.

it's all part of the process to trap Fisher or Marten. They will collect the whole skull/jaw (your choice what to give them) as part of the sealing process and they record the pelt seal number on your log. 

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Update: I finished parts B, C, and D. Only thing left is the homework which is tons of writing (annoying part).

Update - it's in the mail! Can anyone confirm in writing the legalities of using a cell as checking a cam daily? For example, I have my cell cam to send me a pic everyday at 8am. Can this combined with the obvious motion sensor pics be legally considered checking it?

I think culver already confirmed with the Dec. I believe you can use a drone as well.....although the drone may have to be our own private property.

There is a guy from WNY who has a youtube channel I subscribe too that checks his traps like that.

I think culver already confirmed with the Dec. I believe you can use a drone as well.....although the drone may have to be our own private property.

There is a guy from WNY who has a youtube channel I subscribe too that checks his traps like that.

That would be great. Just hoping for something in writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I watch that guy too, he's ten minutes from our lease

11 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Did anyone see the dec extended the trapping season for Beaver? Looks like it goes to 4/7 now.
Biz you may get your huge castor haul this year.

I am not sure if this is the first year or not but it's recent. Caution to everyone that if you are doing this the otter season is closed so make sure you look at the special regs for things like body gripping traps and how they have to be set when there is no otter season. 

Edit. Feb 28 closes in the south eastern region for otter. The lucky northern guys get it the same as the beaver  April 7th. We have no season out here. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

21dff1ef105ad3aa1cb097fcd9bb40fa.jpg&key=49d6de45ba5a314e9ddecced4e2315fcbda13e84ea82716e1a9e73aa389df30d2711e008ccf2934561782a363fffaab3.jpg&key=189a1abb123d89353cc0e1a316de1ddbcc19548fc4702f3d50017c604fddd056We finally got a fox. Yotes tracks just ahead of us as we reset last night. We had a fresh snowfall as we were walking in so the tracks were minutes old

Pan tension appears too tight. Cut the skin. Learned that in the trapper course

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton