Mail Out/In Trapping Course

SilentStalker

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

what are you running for traps?

My buddy sets them and I do not know what they are called lol, Ill ask him. They are dirt hole sets. We just checked and had fresh tracks heading toward and around every single trap and no catches. It was exhilarating following the tracks in to the traps! And i found a "sign post" clump of grass they marked, we may move a trap there tonight

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My buddy sets them and I do not know what they are called lol, Ill ask him. They are dirt hole sets. We just checked and had fresh tracks heading toward and around every single trap and no catches. It was exhilarating following the tracks in to the traps! And i found a "sign post" clump of grass they marked, we may move a trap there tonight

I'd definitely set on that. Worth a trap on either side. That last big male we go I put a trap on both sides. Imagine a male dog cocking it's leg to pee on that clump. back foot or front foot location is what you want. I't won't be set like a dirthole off the clump if you can follow me. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'd definitely set on that. Worth a trap on either side. That last big male we go I put a trap on both sides. Imagine a male dog cocking it's leg to pee on that clump. back foot or front foot location is what you want. I't won't be set like a dirthole off the clump if you can follow me. 

I started looking for those after you talked about it last week. Im a good listener!

• Like 2

22bd34503d6da61c5a8f54fb0eb9ef33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

you might want to revisit that chapter...lol
You're right damn. Pan tension only helps with smaller animals not stepping on it. Though it could also be said if he was hunting for coyotes he may want to increase the weight to prevent the smaller fox by catch

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

You're right damn. Pan tension only helps with smaller animals not stepping on it. Though it could also be said if he was hunting for coyotes he may want to increase the weight to prevent the smaller fox by catch

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Did you mail it back?

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

What type of set? Dirt hole?

Serious question how hard is it to hit the fox with a .22......when you get close do they jump around a bunch?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It isn't that hard. I use a pistol. Biggest issue is, at times, they keep wanting to face you and I like a double lung shot. They tend to bounce a bit when you pull up but until then I usually see them laying down. They all  act differently. some howl, some growl, some just stand there, They all tend to clam down a bit if you talk. If you plan on releasing any, everything I said goes out the window and soon as the catch pole tightens up around their neck. Then it's game on. 

• Like 1

Did you mail it back?

I did. Hope to be catching coyotes next season. Really that's all I want to catch. And one bobcat. The fox are likely safe from me

#WeDemandADislikeButton

14 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I did. Hope to be catching coyotes next season. Really that's all I want to catch. And one bobcat. The fox are likely safe from me

#WeDemandADislikeButton

Keep your first of each specie and get it garment tanned as a wall hanger. 

• Like 1

It isn't that hard. I use a pistol. Biggest issue is, at times, they keep wanting to face you and I like a double lung shot. They tend to bounce a bit when you pull up but until then I usually see them laying down. They all  act differently. some howl, some growl, some just stand there, They all tend to clam down a bit if you talk. If you plan on releasing any, everything I said goes out the window and soon as the catch pole tightens up around their neck. Then it's game on. 

I got dibs on front row seat of Jerkman live releasing any animal from a trap...pure comedy gold in the making!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I got dibs on front row seat of Jerkman live releasing any animal from a trap...pure comedy gold in the making!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full disclosure------ My first release was about a 20# coon. If there had been video it would have gone viral....lol. It was in a dog proof trap. I dropped the loop over its neck after about 20 tries becasue it was sitting there and reaching up and batting the loop away with it's hand.  When I tightened up he transformed into a Siberian Tiger right before my eyes. ...I used the pole to take all the slack out of the trap cable and pinned him down on his back. Now remember this is a DP so it is always a front foot catch. That really doesn't put your hands all that far from those nashing teeth. I'm holding the pole in one hand, leaning forward and reach down with my strongest hand to compress the DP spring and let it go. I couldn't do it with just one hand. so I put the pole end in my left armpit and lean forward. so my legs are at a 45 and the pole in my armpit. I look like a big tripod. reach down with both hands and compress that spring. As soon as the pressure on his foot was off he spun to his feet and took off running. What happens to a tripod when you kick out one leg?.....yup. fell on my face and luckily reached out and grabbed the end of my pole that was fast following the still attached coon. I got him calmed down a bit and released the tension on the loop and off he went.  I then looked around to see if anyone was around. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Full disclosure------ My first release was about a 20# coon. If there had been video it would have gone viral....lol. It was in a dog proof trap. I dropped the loop over its neck after about 20 tries becasue it was sitting there and reaching up and batting the loop away with it's hand.  When I tightened up he transformed into a Siberian Tiger right before my eyes. ...I used the pole to take all the slack out of the trap cable and pinned him down on his back. Now remember this is a DP so it is always a front foot catch. That really doesn't put your hands all that far from those nashing teeth. I'm holding the pole in one hand, leaning forward and reach down with my strongest hand to compress the DP spring and let it go. I couldn't do it with just one hand. so I put the pole end in my left armpit and lean forward. so my legs are at a 45 and the pole in my armpit. I look like a big tripod. reach down with both hands and compress that spring. As soon as the pressure on his foot was off he spun to his feet and took off running. What happens to a tripod when you kick out one leg?.....yup. fell on my face and luckily reached out and grabbed the end of my pole that was fast following the still attached coon. I got him calmed down a bit and released the tension on the loop and off he went.  I then looked around to see if anyone was around. 
That's a big coon skin cap......what were you targeting?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk