Mail Out/In Trapping Course

SilentStalker

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

That's a big coon skin cap......what were you targeting?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Coon. I just didn't have the time to process that day so I let it go. The only freezer space I had would have been in with the food and that move probably would has hastened my divorce...lol

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC4hCxkpvkH/?igshid=1v1z1q2h1w0v4

Video of small bobcat release here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FYI. a catch pole can be deadly for releasing a cat if you don't know what you are doing. Something about the location of their main blood vessels in the neck on the outside of the muscle. If using a noose it works best to get a leg in the loop with the head. 

In our class they suggested carrying a 2x4' plywood "shield" in the truck. V notch on the bottom to go over a leg and they said to have a leather strap on the back to be able to control the plywood during release. 

Kind of like this video

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

FYI. a catch pole can be deadly for releasing a cat if you don't know what you are doing. Something about the location of their main blood vessels in the neck on the outside of the muscle. If using a noose it works best to get a leg in the loop with the head. 

In our class they suggested carrying a 2x4' plywood "shield" in the truck. V notch on the bottom to go over a leg and they said to have a leather strap on the back to be able to control the plywood during release. 

Kind of like this video

Your video seems way more ethical. I wonder why those texas outfitters use the catch pole on every cat and post videos? Everytime i watch them, the cat flips around and I wonder how the neck doesn't break.

Kind of like this video

So that's how those V notch boards work. Was trying to figure out how it'd work. Thanks for sharing the video

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

55 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We are up to nine traps now but are battling the freeze 24c0a902b4f61d6c12a41b707c314225.jpgThis should have been a catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just a little suggestion...... you need to have some sort of backing behind the dirt hole. You can clearly see the tracks as it walked behind  your set. Looks like he also took a dump while he was there. If you have access to some wax dirt , it’ll help keep the set operable. If this was a urine post set , the trap wasn’t bedded good enough or it was dirty and the canine started digging it up. Anyway it sure is fun and experience is the best teacher. Hope to see something that you catch before the season ends. Best of luck !

• Like 1

If you don't have access or ability to make waxed dirt, grab peetmoss and regular table salt. Sprinkle the trap bed. layer peet,,,,,sprinkle,,bed trap...,layer,,,sprinkle. Should get you through the next couple week. Dollar store usually sells cheap table salt. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

it was frozen

Here’s a suggestion for what it’s worth. Get yourself some wax paper and cut it to the size of your trap bed. Crumble it good so it doesn’t make any noise. Lay it down and set your trap on it. Take another piece of wax paper and cut it to the size of the interior of your trap when it is set. Make sure that you crumble it so it doesn’t make any noise when the animal steps on the pan. Now slide it under the loose jaw of the trap and over the pan. Both jaws should now be sitting on wax paper. Now add the dirt around the trap and bed it solid so that it doesn’t move. Now add about 1/4” of dirt over the trap area and spread it out so the lowest part of the bed is where the pan is. Animals will normally step on the lowest part of the trap bed. I use a small clean paintbrush to even out the bed. If you see a blowdown in the woods , you can usually get some dry dirt from the root ball. Just sift the dirt so there’s no twigs , sticks etc...This will work with calcium chloride added in but I rather use waxed dirt. Hopefully your traps are waxed because the salt will damage them. This will prevent your traps from freezing to the ground. It would have been easier to show you , then for me to try to explain it. There’s probably some YouTube videos that show what I mean. Best of luck out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Any opinion on these full moon nights? Its the land of the midnight sun here with the moon and the snow on the ground, I was hoping for a lot of activity

I only noticed a decline in movement on windy nights. However the night after a snowstorm seems to get them moving again too.