US Capital Lock Down

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/alabama-man-charged-possession-eleven-molotov-cocktails-found-near-protest-us-capitol

Some of these people came prepared to carry out genuine terroristic attacks. I’m glad they weren’t able to carry out the full extent of what they were prepared to do. 

I hope investigators can track down all of these terrorists and hopefully crackdown on further potential attacks. I’m really torn on the suspension of Parler and the like, but I tend to come down on the side of shutting these things down since these type of platforms are where these people were radicalized and able to coordinate an attack that could have been much worse. 

Some of these people were radicalized in my eyes, no different than jihadists. They were convinced that this thing is a holy war, and Donald Trump is their prophet. I don’t know how some people can’t see the danger in this. They are not Patriots, they are fanatics. I just hope this stuff is snuffed  out and people can get back to being able to disagree. The idea of someone with a different perspective being your enemy is ridiculous, and is becoming very dangerous. 

This isn’t about someone supporting Donald Trump, it’s about these people who seem to almost worship him. 

So you think they worship him huh, really? With all due respect , I think you’re Confusing hero worship for leaders on the right ( in this case , Trump) with the ACTUAL worship that consistently goes on all the time on the left for their Cult of Personality Leaders . Do you remember that creepy Obama song from back in the day ?? Talk about worship and indoctrination of our youth !! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

So you think they worship him huh, really? With all due respect , I think you’re Confusing hero worship for leaders on the right ( in this case , Trump) with the ACTUAL worship that consistently goes on all the time on the left for their Cult of Personality Leaders . Do you remember that creepy Obama song from back in the day ?? Talk about worship and indoctrination of our youth !! 

Hero Worship is a great term. I’m not by any means saying that all of his supporters do, but I think there is a minority that do, whether they would admit it or not. 
And you are correct, that song is creepy and disturbing. 

Edited by Splitear

45 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I dont recall anything like Trump Trains or flotillas for Obama. I also dont remember seeing houses/lawns with covered with Obama flags/banners/signs like with do with the Trump base. 

I think worship is a pretty accurate term. Fanatical is another one that comes to mind. 

20210109_155820.jpg

• Like 1

Sobering to say the least. This goes beyond political discourse, procedures and or any selblance of day to day poltics. There is culpability for the President and those that aided and abetted him in inciting these people to be trialed for sedition against the United States of America. No doubt in my mind we witness treason.

The Capitol Hill Building Rioters Included White Supremacists and Conspiracy Theorists https://nyti.ms/3pZsNVY

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Sobering to say the least. This goes beyond political discourse, procedures and or any selblance of day to day poltics. There is culpability for the President and those that aided and abetted him in inciting these people to be trialed for sedition against the United States of America. No doubt in my mind we witness treason.

The Capitol Hill Building Rioters Included White Supremacists and Conspiracy Theorists https://nyti.ms/3pZsNVY

I didn’t seen where he told them to storm the capital building but to peacefully protest, please share a link showing he did (without paywall unlike the last link). I will say he did fan the flames and that there is always people on the extreme end of the spectrum in religion, politics etc. But I think if we start charging people for fanning the flames I think 99 percent of both party’s will be jailed and maybe me and you also.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Don't know how true this is but rumor has it that Trump was watching the riot on TV back in the White House and was giddy with excitement to what he was seeing.  Practically cheering them on.  As if he were watching a WWE match.  Staff members were said to be looking at each other in disbelief.  Knowing Trump I wouldn't doubt this to be true. 

"Our country has had enough and we will not take it any more," he declared in his roughly 70-minute speech. "And we fight. We fight like hell and if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/how-trump-in-final-weeks-incited-his-followers-to-storm-the-capitol-2021-1%3famp

10 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I didn’t seen where he told them to storm the capital building but to peacefully protest, please share a link showing he did (without paywall unlike the last link). I will say he did fan the flames and that there is always people on the extreme end of the spectrum in religion, politics etc. But I think if we start changing people for fanning the flames I think 99 percent of both party’s will be jailed and maybe me and you also.

Trump would have absolutely loved it if the mob dragged Pelosi, Schumer, even Mcconnell down the Capitol steps. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. He didn't mean a word of what he said on that video he put out the next day.  That was his staff and the Republican Party talking to save face, and not Trump.

49 minutes ago, cachemoney said:

I dont recall anything like Trump Trains or flotillas for Obama. I also dont remember seeing houses/lawns with covered with Obama flags/banners/signs like with do with the Trump base. 

I think worship is a pretty accurate term. Fanatical is another one that comes to mind. 

20210109_155820.jpg

Wait , so flags and an organized march proves hero worship of Trump is what you’re saying ? And then you like. It to Terrorists  in a parmamiltary caravan ? Not even close to being comparable . Furthermore , can you find any hero worship songs made that were posted on YouTube that were specifically designed to indoctrinate young people such as the one I posted earlier ? Can you find one ? If so , I’d like to see it , really and I would be equally horrified .
Full grown Adults Consciously making a choice to participate in a march/ movement In support of a political leader that they like and admire is a FAR cry From the clear and deliberate effort to indoctrinate young impressionable minds such as went on when Obama was President . Big difference I think 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Wait , so flags and an organized march proves hero worship of Trump is what you’re saying ? And then you like. It to Terrorists  in a parmamiltary caravan ? Not even close to being comparable . Furthermore , can you find any hero worship songs made that were posted on YouTube that were specifically designed to indoctrinate young people such as the one I posted earlier ? Can you find one ? If so , I’d like to see it , really and I would be equally horrified .
Full grown Adults Consciously making a choice to participate in a march/ movement In support of a political leader that they like and admire is a FAR cry From the clear and deliberate effort to indoctrinate young impressionable minds such as went on when Obama was President . Big difference I think 

Full grown adults? I wonder how many of these nuts are mentally competent to stand trial. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Trump would have absolutely loved it if the mob dragged Pelosi, Schumer, even Mcconnell down the Capitol steps. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. He didn't mean a word of what he said on that video he put out the next day.  That was his staff and the Republican Party talking to save face, and not Trump.

No question about it. He’s taking a scorched earth approach. We’ll what’s left of the party... 

13 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Not creepy at all...

Not at all...

39 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I am not fooling myself at all and I honesty believe that when antifa and blm where busting down the fences at the White House (and people on this forum where calling him bunker boy) they felt the same way about Trump being dragged out. And to be honest the only difference was the police presence which seemed oddly not there. I have seen multiple videos of cops opening gates and opening and holding outside doors for these protesters and taking selfies with them. 

@Grouse. It seems like we are looking at what i think is a circle. Some might say it is an oval. You say its a triangle. 

How can anything be discussed when that is where we start? 

Or, one guy walks down the street and sees a six on the pavement. A guy comes from the other direction and says it's a nine. You walk up and say look at that four.

• Like 1

I’m a big Obama fan. He’s intelligent, measured, self-made, and a meticulous worker. I truly feel that he’s a generational president and I’m happy to have been around while he was in charge. That said, I would never march with a flag bearing his name! Ever! That’s just weird and lame. 

Now, this isis comparison is actually quite apt. Of course, a metaphor will never be 100% applicable, by definition, but it fits well.  

Isis members are effectively societal misfits with a deep wound that emerges from imagined grievances. To advance their goals, they perverted a religious text and used a false message to try to justify  horrific actions. 

Likewise, the Trump base is not comprised of our best and brightest - We saw that on TV on Wednesday! They too feel like they’ve been left behind and feel attacked at every turn (ie. War on Christmas!). These imagined grievances have led them to pervert our constitution and perhaps even the very definition of freedom. Under the guise of “Rights”, they stormed the Capitol with the stated goal of subverting democracy, if not to hang elected officials. 

Sure, the atrocities committed by isis are unmatched by the Trump base. But the common through line is a blind and unexamined fanaticism. When left unchecked, it yields a self-generated fervor that fuels insane conspiracy theories and and seditious acts like those we saw last week. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I’m a big Obama fan. He’s intelligent, measured, self-made, and a meticulous worker. I truly feel that he’s a generational president and I’m happy to have been around while he was in charge. That said, I would never march with a flag bearing his name! Ever! That’s just weird and lame. 

Now, this isis comparison is actually quite apt. Of course, a metaphor will never be 100% applicable, by definition, but it fits well.  

Isis members are effectively societal misfits with a deep wound that emerges from imagined grievances. To advance their goals, they perverted a religious text and used a false message to try to justify  horrific actions. 

Likewise, the Trump base is not comprised of our best and brightest - We saw that on TV on Wednesday! They too feel like they’ve been left behind and feel attacked at every turn (ie. War on Christmas!). These imagined grievances have led them to pervert our constitution and perhaps even the very definition of freedom. Under the guise of “Rights”, they stormed the Capitol with the stated goal of subverting democracy, if not to hang elected officials. 

Sure, the atrocities committed by isis are unmatched by the Trump base. But the common through line is a blind and unexamined fanaticism. When left unchecked, it yields a self-generated fervor that fuels insane conspiracy theories and and seditious acts like those we saw last week. 

All I have to say about all that is.. You think you're pretty smart..;)

Simply put . The Trump supporters that stormed the Capitol the other day are idiots just like all the other violent protesters we've seen over the last few years.

"not comprised of our best and brightest" covers them both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Full grown adults? I wonder how many of these nuts are mentally competent to stand trial. 

You’re Overgeneralizing . Some of what you say makes sense but when you over generalize and stereotype , aren’t you engaging in the same perceived behavior That often comes from the Right that people on the left often complain about ? And justifiably so Might I add ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

All I have to say about all that is.. You think you're pretty smart..;)

Simply put . The Trump supporters that stormed the Capitol the other day are idiots just like all the other violent protesters we've seen over the last few years.

"not comprised of our best and brightest" covers them both.

Definitely, I agree 

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Sadly, I think this is true. 

11 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I disagree with everything you said about Obama but also think he is a good man and would NEVER disrespect him the way the left has disrespected Trump and , before him , President Bush. Obama clearly governed The way that he thought would best help America but IMHO , he was a weak and feckless leader . 
Having said that, I think that he would win a personality contest against any day of the week against Trump but being an effective President isn’t about popularity is it ? 
( Wait : maybe it kinda is lol!!) 

• Like 1

Just smart enough to beware of false prophets (or to not walk around with someone else’s flag). 

Look, there’s no basis for the belief that this election was stolen. It’s categorically false. The process has played out in the courts and the conclusion is that Trump is lying to try to either change the election outcome or to remain relevant after Jan. 20. If you’re still walking around talking about votes in suitcases, you’re not much smarter than those who stormed the Capitol. 

Advocates of racial justice do not advocate for rioting - it undermines the cause! There is truth to the idea that racism gives rise to the horrific acts of police violence that we have witnessed. Many of these cases are still playing out in court. The election outcome is settled. Republican judges and attorneys general have concluded that these were fair elections. To equate BLM to Trumpism is as wrongheaded as marching with a flag bearing a politician’s name.