No sportsman show...

G-Man

We are local to the show, and look forward to it each year just to get out of the house. The current show is a far cry from the ones they had well into the nineties. At one time there were two in Syracuse. One at the War Memorial, which filled the main auditorium area and the basement with overflow into the halls and meeting rooms. The other was at the State Fairgrounds. 

physical shows like that won't happen on the regular for a while. It's forcing the industry to innovate. I have received a ton of info from companies as part of their ATA and SHOT "replacement" efforts.

I enjoyed going to the Harrisburg show as a consumer. It's usually a fun guys trip. I've worked a handful of shows both in the hunting industry and in my "career" space. Alot of work actually. About the only thing good working them is usually you get to go blow off steam in a fun location. I've done shows in New Orleans, Indy, Chicago, LV, etc. I probably would have never went to NO on my own, but ended up having a blast there for a few nights. Work hard play hard kind of thing.

physical shows like that won't happen on the regular for a while. It's forcing the industry to innovate. I have received a ton of info from companies as part of their ATA and SHOT "replacement" efforts.

I enjoyed going to the Harrisburg show as a consumer. It's usually a fun guys trip. I've worked a handful of shows both in the hunting industry and in my "career" space. Alot of work actually. About the only thing good working them is usually you get to go blow off steam in a fun location. I've done shows in New Orleans, Indy, Chicago, LV, etc. I probably would have never went to NO on my own, but ended up having a blast there for a few nights. Work hard play hard kind of thing.

Phade,
Can you enumerate the expenses that go into a trade show appearance for a vendor and its benefits and pitfalls?

I'm in a completely different business. I call on grocery HQs. Their shows are typically when you get to reach hundreds of store managers and extol the virtue of your products over a day or two and theyre relatively cheap. Industry trade shows like the huge seafood show in Boston costs us hundreds of thousands of dollars and you reach almost no one, but dont show up one year and the buzz will be "those guys must be in trouble" lol. So I see both sides of this coin. And to Phades point these shows get me to San Diego in February, Scottsdale a couple times in winter, Vegas, Orlando, and also lots of freezing cold cities that dont bear mentioning

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Phade,
Can you enumerate the expenses that go into a trade show appearance for a vendor and its benefits and pitfalls?

That's too much work honestly.

It's not cheap, it's hard work, and whether it has a positive ROI depends on the unique person/company/situation.

I have a business that I often partner with on my personal business, and the show circuit for them is where the money is made because the product is much easier sold in person due to it's size (it's a box blind company) and they write big orders. My business the ROI is much more difficult as people buy online as much or more and not hard to ship.

• Like 1