Zeroing 20 gage slug gun and 50 cal

luberhill

4 minutes ago, luberhill said:

At what distance should I zero both and at what distance to take deer

look at the ballistic drop charts and make a call that fits your hunting style and locations. I typically got everything 1" high at 100. Google MPBR and read up on that. basically it's determining your point and click distance based on ballistics/trajectory.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

It really depends on your situation. I never used a scope, so my comfortable range with my shotgun was always around 50 yards, and my muzzleloader is 75 yards. I sighted my 12 gauge smoothbore (I don't think you can "zero" a smoothbore) for 50, and my muzzleloader for about an inch high at 50. Obviously this would change depending on if you're sighting in a rifled or smoothbore barrel, and what kind of sights you are using. Also depends on the distances you are usually shooting. 

Effective range is a whole other question.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Splitear said:

It really depends on your situation. I never used a scope, so my comfortable range with my shotgun was always around 50 yards, and my muzzleloader is 75 yards. I sighted my 12 gauge smoothbore (I don't think you can "zero" a smoothbore) for 50, and my muzzleloader for about an inch high at 50. Obviously this would change depending on if you're sighting in a rifled or smoothbore barrel, and what kind of sights you are using. Also depends on the distances you are usually shooting. 

Effective range is a whole other question.

This is true.  Like culver, I assume a rifled and scoped gun and try to set up for MPBR but you make good points. 

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

I’m thinking 50 yards for the shotgun and 100 for the ML

None of my areas would be further than that 

I think I would stick with 50 for the 20 gauge then, and a little high at 50 for the ML. However, if I had the room, I would extend the target out to 100 after sighting in to make sure that I don't have as much drop. The nice thing with a ML is that you not only can play with the sights, but see if you can get a flatter shot by adjusting the powder charge. 

• Like 1

When i had to use a slug gun (thankfully don't have to anymore), I'd sight in at 75 yards-it put me about 2" low at 100. I shoot an Encore with 100 grains of Blackhorn. I sight in 2" high at 100, where I can get 1.5" 3 shot groups. That puts me about on at 150 yards,

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

I think I would stick with 50 for the 20 gauge then, and a little high at 50 for the ML. However, if I had the room, I would extend the target out to 100 after sighting in to make sure that I don't have as much drop. The nice thing with a ML is that you not only can play with the sights, but see if you can get a flatter shot by adjusting the powder charge. 

ML has a scope too 

I have a 20 gauge rifled mossberg 500 that   took me a while to get sighted in. After many shots I was able to get it so that I aim -2inches at 50 for a bullseye hit and then aim +2 inches at 100 yards for bullseye. I also own a 50 cal muzzleloader that was very easy to zero at 100 yards. I much prefer the accuracy of the scoped muzzleloader to that of my rifle sighted shotgun. Also stay away from lead sleds with slug guns. They cause a lot of barrel hop and make all your shots shoot high. When I sighted in the shotgun I just used a rest and firm downward pressure on the forearm of the gun. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, LICOASTIE said:

I have a 20 gauge rifled mossberg 500 that   took me a while to get sighted in. After many shots I was able to get it so that I aim -2inches at 50 for a bullseye hit and then aim +2 inches at 100 yards for bullseye. I also own a 50 cal muzzleloader that was very easy to zero at 100 yards. I much prefer the accuracy of the scoped muzzleloader to that of my rifle sighted shotgun. Also stay away from lead sleds with slug guns. They cause a lot of barrel hop and make all your shots shoot high. When I sighted in the shotgun I just used a rest and firm downward pressure on the forearm of the gun. 

Whatcha mean lead sleds