Crossbow target range practice

eyecarve

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know whether there are any practice target ranges in Southern New York that allow crossbows?

I have called and checked on every bow range in the region and only one (Extreme Archery in Mammaroneck) allows crossbows. I bring my own crossbow target when I go there.

Thanks.

I've called Rifle Ranges and they won't allow Xbows.

Flying Arrow Sports will only allow crossbow practice in their outside range in Carmel and only if there are no archers shooting at the range.

I have not checked Pro Line Archers. I'll call them to confirm.

None of the ranges had a reason. They just said no crossbows. Some seem to be pissed that I even asked.

The following archery ranges do not allow Xbows: Blue Mountain Sportsman Center (Cortland Manor), Queens Archery (Queens), Metropolitan Rod & Gun Club (Brooklyn), Wo-Pe-Na Archers (NJ), Flying Arrow Sports (only outside)and Archers Addiction (Poughkeepsie).

Awesome. I buy a crossbow to get in the sport and I can't even learn how to use it.

I've called Rifle Ranges and they won't allow Xbows.

Flying Arrow Sports will only allow crossbow practice in their outside range in Carmel and only if there are no archers shooting at the range.

I have not checked Pro Line Archers. I'll call them to confirm.

None of the ranges had a reason. They just said no crossbows. Some seem to be pissed that I even asked.

The following archery ranges do not allow Xbows: Blue Mountain Sportsman Center (Cortland Manor), Queens Archery (Queens), Metropolitan Rod & Gun Club (Brooklyn), Wo-Pe-Na Archers (NJ), Flying Arrow Sports (only outside)and Archers Addiction (Poughkeepsie).

Awesome. I buy a crossbow to get in the sport and I can't even learn how to use it.

I practice in my parents backyard in Putnam County. You dont know anybody who has 40 yards of yard/woods to practice at?

Not for nothing, but it could be insurance policies limiting that.

You think hunters are critical of weapons...try an insurance company with a policy. It may simply be that not enough crossbow hunters are in the area to justify a shop reworking a policy. Sure, the umbrella policy would apply, but I be the riders are specific to archery - and outside of a lawyer...an insurance compliance person can be picky about the legit use of the cross bow in an archery range.

That, and us archers are snobs some times....ha. Seriously though, I wouldn't let it bother you. Find a willing range/shop and support them with your $. Best of luck getting involved with the crossbow.

Edited by phade

Its a good point Phade. I'm actually an attorney -so I can see that it could cause an insurance problem. However, I'm also a businessman - if I owned an archery range in New York I would pay the extra money for the policy to cover crossbows, then I would advertise on every internet spot I could find - and my range would make a killing.....think of all the guys who bought crossbows in the last year in New York (and other states for that matter) since the law changed to make them legal for hunting....., so there are lots of business opportunities out there.......

I live in a townhouse so I just sit there and stare at my xbow - you are right, I'll keep on the local ranges and see whether I can get myself in......and I guaranty at some point its all going to change and you will see xbows next to bows in the range.....

Another thing to think about is the vertical vs. horiztonal nature of crossbows. I imagine there would be some lane issues with it, if the range were packed. Probably plenty of logistics and red tape right now...once they are brought into archery season...then I think the flood gates will open.

Do you plan on hunting gun season with the xbow? I haven't seen anyone hunting with one here in NY since it is still limited in scope. Do you bowhunt/shoot archery as well?

I heard a xbow go off in a hunting situation this past season in Ohio...guy was hunting about 120 yards from me (came in after I had set up)...darn thing sounded like a .22 going off. He got a nice buck out of it though. Deadly in capable hands.
Edited by phade

I bought a bow 2 months ago when I couldn't use the xbow. I'm pretty much hooked on the bow - I shoot it at a range or at a 3d club anytime I have a spare hour. Love it. I have not hunted in my life and not sure when I will - I have to get a lot more comfortable with the bow and xbow and the whole sport. Then I will re-focus onto hunting (with a bow or xbow). And yes, I've shot my xbow outside in a forrest on a silent winter day and it sounds like a gun going off.

One of bigger issues for an archery range are the crossbow bolts. They are much shorter than most arrows and they bury themselves in the target wall. The crossbow shooter ends up beating up the wall digging out the bolts. Also crossbows take some time to load. An archer can easily shoot 6 arrows in two minutes. A crossbow shooter might shoot 3 bolts in two minutes. The crossbow shooter causes a lot of disgruntled archers on the line tapping their feet. The range has to make the majority happy and crossbow shooters are a small minority. I would suggest buy your own crossbow target and find a place that allows you to shoot outdoors. I would check Nassau Bowman and Suffolk Archers. There is a park in Wantagh Long Island that did allow people to shoot outdoors, I'm not sure if they still do but check Nassau Bowman.

Good Luck.

Campstugots: I bring my target with me when I go to Extreme Archery in Mammaroneck. Their backstop works with the bolts. I am also very considerate with the loading time etc., and don't even start to cock the xbow if the archers are near to completing their round. I'll check the places you indicate but I don't hold out any hope.

Elmo: I called Pro Line in Queens, NY - they don't allow Xbows at the moment but are in the process of modifying their walls to allow for xbows - they told me it would be at least a month or so before they are finished.

Bottom line: I'm still at the same place I started - In New York you cannot practice shooting your crossbow unless you have your own backyard or a friend's backyard. I would even go as far as not recommending any newbie hunters out there to buy a xbow. Moreover, from a safety standpoint, it means that you have guys going out into the field who have not learned to consistantly, safely and accurately fire their xbow. Awesome.

eyecarve,

Hmm....there was clearly someone there shooting a crossbow. No mistake about it because a couple of guys were oohhhing and awwwing about it because it's was a kick ass looking xbow. Looks more like for competition then hunting. Maybe he was someone who works there or knows the owner personally.

Would there be a safety issue with crossbows? A longbow or compound is faceing down range when at full draw. With a crossbow you have to have the bow cocked before you place the arrow on the shelf. I could see some bone head facing the other shooters while placing the arrow on the crossbow instead of down range while doing this.

You can bet the smart shops will adjust their attitude when they are put in the right season. The even smarter ones will do it now and not wait. My local shop has the commercial block targets and crossbows are no issue with them. A real pro shop should have real backstops.

As far as safety, the walls and ceiling have a bunch of reminders from sky drawing, premie release compound shooters.