Do u guys use a red light headlamp or..,

luberhill

I walk in in the dark , no, light needed . I only go a half mile at most . Learn the land marks ,tallest trees , blow downs and so on . I do keep a very bright handlight in my hand in case I need to light up a noise etc ,

• Like 2

I use a green headlamp ,i can see sticks to step over and it doesnt mess with your night vision.  During gun season i walk in with the head lamp on white ,i'm not messing around ,i want to be seen by the neighbors if theyre close to the lines.  

• Like 1

It depends on the season . During bow season , I wear a headlamp and use the red light . During gun , I wear a blaze orange cap that has a light and I use the green . Quite often I don't use any light if I can barely visibly make it to my stand . During gun season , we have to walk 200 yards through a pitch dark woods and it is tough to navigate even with orange surveyors tape marking a trail . We plan to do some clearing in the spring and make a path wide enough to drive the ATVs when we haul the deer out . I have been contemplating using some reflective paint to mark the trail so it's easier to find one particular stand in pitch dark . I found that it doesn't make sense to put the surveyors tape 4' high on trees when you have a headlamp shining towards the ground . 

These are the best markers i have used . Bright Eyes . They are definitely the brightest and long lasting  .  I 've had some of these marking certain trails that are over a mile to the treestand . They have been on those trees for 15 years or more in some spots and are still shining .  Some other brands are ok too . The Hunter's Specialties tacks  and the HME are good. Just not quite as bright. You can find them at Walmart or Cabelas  and Amazon .   

https://www.amazon.com/LEWIS-ORIGINAL-BRIGHT-EYES-BLISTER/dp/B0000AVWE8/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1KWBS9QTRLG9K&dchild=1&keywords=reflective+tacks+for+trees&qid=1610171907&sprefix=reflective+tacks+fo%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HME-Reflective-Tacks-White-50-Pack/113235723627?epid=18011026874&hash=item1a5d60056b:g:e0QAAOSw8W1bkWuz

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

I walk in complete darkness, trsil prep into stand and trail clearing is key

Ditto here. I walk in the dark there is usually enough to see trail.  During gun I go in at daylight so I can shoot if jump deer. But bow usually no light at all.  I have one clipped on my hat in case I need it though. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I have a ball cap visor clip on light from Browning.  It can be green or white and can be turned on or off quickly.  It's on in places that I can't see anything without a light and off when I can see well enough without it.  I use the green light 95% of the time.  It's really an advantage to have both hands free to do other things.

• Like 1

I learn the path in, clearing branches, etc. on the ground to help keep it quiet. I normally am getting to my stand about 1/2 hr before sun up, so there is usually enough light for me. In the evening I carry a small but bright light, as I anticipate potentially needing to find/ drag out a critter in the dark.

• Like 1

I use a Maglite if I am hunting close.  If I am going deep in, I wear a head lamp (a long drag with a flashlight in your mouth sucks, I've learned that first hand).  I have never bothered to use a red light.  I do have a couple red lights for predator hunting and they do seem a lot more stealthy.  

Like some of the guys who already posted, I frequently don't use a light at all if the hike is short and I know the area well.  Eyes adapt well without a light.  However, I use one even when I don't need it when I hunt public land.  I have a concern, maybe irrational, that some overexcited hunter might mistake me for game if I pass them without a light. 

All things being equal, if I had a red light on hand, I would probably use that.  

On 1/15/2021 at 12:56 PM, Fat Dan said:

I use a Maglite if I am hunting close.  If I am going deep in, I wear a head lamp (a long drag with a flashlight in your mouth sucks, I've learned that first hand).  I have never bothered to use a red light.  I do have a couple red lights for predator hunting and they do seem a lot more stealthy.  

Like some of the guys who already posted, I frequently don't use a light at all if the hike is short and I know the area well.  Eyes adapt well without a light.  However, I use one even when I don't need it when I hunt public land.  I have a concern, maybe irrational, that some overexcited hunter might mistake me for game if I pass them without a light. 

All things being equal, if I had a red light on hand, I would probably use that.  

I agree; on public land always use a light when moving cuz you never know!!

I usually get to my stands about an hour before graylight, and it's a bout a mile hike to any one of them. I carry a flashlight with my fingers covering most of the light. I want just enough to see any branches or other noise makers, and also have it in case I need to light up an unknown noise. 

• Like 1