Pistol Permit Process is Maddening

Splitear

Last summer my dad told me he wanted to give me his old Smith and Wesson revolver. Knowing that I had to have a permit in NYS, I told him to hold on to it until I checked out the process.  After seeing what I needed to do, and the first step being to “purchase” a handgun, I had him ship it to my FFL so I could get the receipt. This was late July. 

I scheduled for my course in August, and the next available class was early December. Fortunately, my county approved an online course in October, and I took it. $60 later, I had my certificate.

When I called to make an appointment to drop my application off, they booked me for April 15th. I got a call this week saying they could fit me in today. After a $40 application fee, I was handed a card to make an appointment for fingerprints, that carry’s a $102 fee. I was also told that after my prints and references come back, it will be about 5 months before my application gets in front of a judge. So, after almost a year and $200 in fees, I’m hopeful I can get the handgun that my father has gifted me. 

I’ll be the first to advocate for Universal Background checks (hold your comments, I know that’s not a popular stance around here), but this is way overkill in my eyes. It also makes it nearly impossible for someone with limited means to obtain a pistol permit in my opinion. I’m fortunate that I can afford the fees, but not everyone has the financial or time resources. 

Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to vent some frustration. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Last summer my dad told me he wanted to give me his old Smith and Wesson revolver. Knowing that I had to have a permit in NYS, I told him to hold on to it until I checked out the process.  After seeing what I needed to do, and the first step being to “purchase” a handgun, I had him ship it to my FFL so I could get the receipt. This was late July. 

I scheduled for my course in August, and the next available class was early December. Fortunately, my county approved an online course in October, and I took it. $60 later, I had my certificate.

When I called to make an appointment to drop my application off, they booked me for April 15th. I got a call this week saying they could fit me in today. After a $40 application fee, I was handed a card to make an appointment for fingerprints, that carry’s a $102 fee. I was also told that after my prints and references come back, it will be about 5 months before my application gets in front of a judge. So, after almost a year and $200 in fees, I’m hopeful I can get the handgun that my father has gifted me. 

I’ll be the first to advocate for Universal Background checks (hold your comments, I know that’s not a popular stance around here), but this is way overkill in my eyes. It also makes it nearly impossible for someone with limited means to obtain a pistol permit in my opinion. I’m fortunate that I can afford the fees, but not everyone has the financial or time resources. 

And some counties are notorious for denying them to most applicants.    

It’s a challenge for sure. It’s also different by Counties, mine there’s no class to take , you don’t have to buy a gun first , no ,” interview .” No administrative restrictions , Full carry .

This Life NRA member wouldn’t have much of an issue with universal checks, if it was cheap , fast , and efficient. Like the NICS check . I’m just not too trusting of what they may come up with .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

Dude try for Westchester you'd be looking at 2023 before you ever got your permit. Quit yer bitching. That situation you are complaining about is caused by the dems you vote for. So congratulations you got what you asked for

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

You kinda crack me up, you say your all for background checks then complain about it . The time and price it takes to get the permit stops lots of people from getting them and that’s  kinda what they want. Wait till the US government starts taxing all firearms ,  ammo etc .

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Dude try for Westchester you'd be looking at 2023 before you ever got your permit. Quit yer bitching. That situation you are complaining about is caused by the dems you vote for. So congratulations you got what you asked for

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

I’d argue, but that is a fair enough statement. 

• Like 2

I did all that too and it took about 6-7 months in this county. Then you get a permit that you can carry it for "hunting, fishing, hiking, target" only .  They tell u at permit office that if you apply for a full carry permit you will just be denied. But two counties that border it there is no problem getting it.  Makes no sense.

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

I did all that too and it took about 6-7 months in this county. Then you get a permit that you can carry it for "hunting, fishing, hiking, target" only .  They tell u at permit office that if you apply for a full carry permit you will just be denied. But two counties that border it there is no problem getting it.  Makes no sense.

I really don’t care to get my carry permit, honestly, I’ll rarely shoot this gun. I think you have to have your permit for a year in order to apply for a carry permit, which obviously has another application as well as another course requirement. 

2 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I really don’t care to get my carry permit, honestly, I’ll rarely shoot this gun. I think you have to have your permit for a year in order to apply for a carry permit, which obviously has another application as well as another course requirement. 

I rarely carry mine but I would like to be able to if I wanted.  Esp after doing a background check to do so and people 2 miles down the road in the border county can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

That's NYS!!!!!  Way overkill?  You can be sure they want and will get more too.  Even though 2A is a RIGHT:

First, you are processed (and treated) the same as a criminal, only a criminal does not pay to get printed and background checked; free for him/her.

Second, what other "right" has someone paying fees to exercise it?  None, that is unconstitutional and goes back to Jim Crow laws.

Third, what other "right" has classes required?  How about making these annually required and having fees?

Fourth, all reasonable gun control measures will be implemented in an unreasonable way. It is all intended to be time, effort, and cost prohibitive  to discourage and deter handgun ownership.

Fifth, 2A is the only right that includes the words "shall not be infringed" yet is the most infringed right we have.

Sixth, this pistol permit can be suspended (and revoked) at the issuer's discretion.  On LI, going through a divorce can be grounds for suspension until it is final.  All a spouse needs to do is call and state they are in fear.  Carry permits on LI are only for celebrities and the politically connected.  You don't need to carry anyway the police are their to protect you, Just like at the Capitol  building.

Not sorry for the rant, NYS citizens & gun owners need to know and understand this.

Edited by DoubleDose
addition
  • Like 3

Hunting , target restrictions are administrative only , they carry no weight in the law . You are issued a carry permit . In other words if your caught “ carrying “ you won’t and can’t be arrested , the worst that can happen is if the signing judge finds out he can revoke it .

NY’s system sucks , the other states permits I hold were easy and fair and cheaper . It’s ridiculous that NY is county by county , and really sub sets of counties , Roch. Is in Monroe county yet has a separate  more involved process .

Also co register your guns with a family member , makes it easier when you pass , or if your permit is revoked.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Hunting , target restrictions are administrative only , they carry no weight in the law . You are issued a carry permit . In other words if your caught “ carrying “ you won’t and can’t be arrested , the worst that can happen is if the signing judge finds out he can revoke it .

NY’s system sucks , the other states permits I hold were easy and fair and cheaper . It’s ridiculous that NY is county by county , and really sub sets of counties , Roch. Is in Monroe county yet has a separate  more involved process .

Also co register your guns with a family member , makes it easier when you pass , or if your permit is revoked.

Wife and I are co registered and we paid for my oldest sons permit so we can add our pistols on his. It’s  easier here in Steuben county to get your permit then others and Steuben only issues concealed carry. 

When I got mine I never even consided anything but full carry , I think from the time I turned in my papers I had a full carry permit in 6 months. Talk to people in other counties and it takes way longer or gets shot down all together . If shouldn't be that way ,its a state permit,not county.

3 hours ago, Splitear said:

Your in saratoga co right, try albany co if you want frustration. It took me 18 months 20 plus years ago. First issued hunting and target.  After three interviews with Judge over 20 plus  years  I got no restrictions at all ,first two attempts was denied with out reason but was granted camping and hiking on second attempt .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Splitear said:

Trust me it is only going to get worse.........between NYS and the future rules the federal government  plan impose the future for gun ownership is pretty grim.

• Like 1

You guys want to laugh................I went up tp BassPro in Bridgeport CT..... Wanted to buy a shot gun...Was told I had to go to the state police and obtain a long gun I D number.......So I do this and that paper was just as bad as the pistol permit paperwork.....I mean a class references fingerprints and interview......So F that i well wait till guns are back in stock locally ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

You guys want to laugh................I went up tp BassPro in Bridgeport CT..... Wanted to buy a shot gun...Was told I had to go to the state police and obtain a long gun I D number.......So I do this and that paper was just as bad as the pistol permit paperwork.....I mean a class references fingerprints and interview......So F that i well wait till guns are back in stock locally ...

I fear this will become common . 

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You support the shit then bitch about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It reminds of the people who voted for the idiots that destroyed California so they move to Texas and vote for the same idiotic policies that ruined The place they just left. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ny hunter said:

Interesting.  My friend went to CT to duck hunt and Bass Pro would not sell him AMMO because he was not a state resident!

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Nomad my gun club had attorneys discuss this very topic of restrictions.  This is actually a legally unclear area.  You are correct that it is not the written law.  However, it is the opinion of the AG that the issuing agents can legally add restrictions.  The validity of these restrictions would need to be settled via an actual court case and precedent verdict.  Who wants to be the plaintiff?

On LI, the issuing agents are the county police departments, not judges, who are adding these restrictions.  On LI, the police can and will arrest you for carry; and will certainly revoke at the same time.

Appreciate too that NYS Pistol licenses are not valid for carry in the 5 boroughs of NYC, you need a NYC permit which is unobtainable.

• Like 1