Pistol Permit Process is Maddening

Splitear

6 hours ago, Splitear said:

Last summer my dad told me he wanted to give me his old Smith and Wesson revolver. Knowing that I had to have a permit in NYS, I told him to hold on to it until I checked out the process.  After seeing what I needed to do, and the first step being to “purchase” a handgun, I had him ship it to my FFL so I could get the receipt. This was late July. 

I scheduled for my course in August, and the next available class was early December. Fortunately, my county approved an online course in October, and I took it. $60 later, I had my certificate.

When I called to make an appointment to drop my application off, they booked me for April 15th. I got a call this week saying they could fit me in today. After a $40 application fee, I was handed a card to make an appointment for fingerprints, that carry’s a $102 fee. I was also told that after my prints and references come back, it will be about 5 months before my application gets in front of a judge. So, after almost a year and $200 in fees, I’m hopeful I can get the handgun that my father has gifted me. 

I’ll be the first to advocate for Universal Background checks (hold your comments, I know that’s not a popular stance around here), but this is way overkill in my eyes. It also makes it nearly impossible for someone with limited means to obtain a pistol permit in my opinion. I’m fortunate that I can afford the fees, but not everyone has the financial or time resources. 

Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to vent some frustration. 

lol you voted for this stop complaining lol   don't you feel safer  now ? yea  I'm sure they will stop at background checks lol 

• Like 1

It’s a tough process in NYS. It took my wife and I eight months to complete, we both received unrestricted permits. We purchased guns while waiting but there is no requirement in Erie county to purchase one at all.

Yes it’s somewhat expensive for something that should be a right, but a small price to pay in my opinion. After obtaining the permit here I drove to Erie and walked out with a permit for PA in 15 minutes and $20 or $40 if I remember correctly. NY sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

Wife and I are co registered and we paid for my oldest sons permit so we can add our pistols on his. It’s  easier here in Steuben county to get your permit then others and Steuben only issues concealed carry. 

Suffolk county will not let you co register handguns.

Rockland it took me 6 months to get mine. They a year later I applied for full carry. They make you do the process all over again. Then I had to go to court and explain to the judge why I needed a fully carry. He agreed and now I’m in the club.

Such horse crap

9 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

Suffolk county will not let you co register handguns.

That’s just odd and wrong . We just redid our estate planing with a really sharp attorney part went like this . 
 You own handguns ?
Yes .

8-10 ? 

Yes, how’d you know ?

This is what I do, people own one dog and 8-10 handguns .

Are they co registered?

Some yes.

Well get them all co registered , so I don’t have to take possession of them .

I also now have a clause that no one becomes an heir till 30days after my death , that way if someone feeds me poison mushrooms , he can block their inheritance.

You supported this shit too so don’t complain!

I don’t not. Thanks for acting like you know what I support. I voted Biden and Republican down the entire ticket.. one can be a Republican and not support a Fascist.

I got a good one.....in Erie county we have a few satellite locations. I figured I would stop one after picking up a new pistol at Cabela's. I walk in....the line is a mile long and it closes in 45 minutes. I figure maybe they will hurry people along and after 15 minutes I see a sign that says they won't process paper permits. Guess they didn't have an extra typewriter at this location so I had to pack up and head downtown.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

Nomad my gun club had attorneys discuss this very topic of restrictions.  This is actually a legally unclear area.  You are correct that it is not the written law.  However, it is the opinion of the AG that the issuing agents can legally add restrictions.  The validity of these restrictions would need to be settled via an actual court case and precedent verdict.  Who wants to be the plaintiff?

On LI, the issuing agents are the county police departments, not judges, who are adding these restrictions.  On LI, the police can and will arrest you for carry; and will certainly revoke at the same time.

Appreciate too that NYS Pistol licenses are not valid for carry in the 5 boroughs of NYC, you need a NYC permit which is unobtainable.

And that’s why I’ve been one time and have no plans on ever going back . 

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

Listen keep pretending you live in 1840. A vote against Trump is not a vote for gun control. It’s a vote for democracy.

If you voted for Biden you voted for a president who ultimately wants total control of you . That's just a fact.  

• Like 5

try in NYC IMPOSSIBLE i got my rifle /shotgun permit insanity treated like a outcast the people that work @ the permit office were condescending ,nasty and arrogant . That was the lest of it first to create a profile and download and print out the forms fill them out answer ridiculous questions go to manhattan to get finger printed then back to kew gardens to get this all processed and of course pay the fees tthhheennn wait and wait  i finally called cause i kept checking my profile to see if i was approved so i could buy a firearm .The woman i was dealing with caught an attitude cause i told her that she said it would show up on my profile finally she says its here coming and pick it up a total pain . I grew up in culture where you wanted to hunt you did things the right way join the nra register your guns and respect the laws but now they try to discourage you from owning a gun but in reality  what they are doing  is create a situation where the people who should have guns do and lawbiding citizens who were never in trouble with the law are denied. That was only to get a rilfe/shotgun permit a pistol permit impossible  its lawyers and alot of cash even for a target permit   

I got a good one.....in Erie county we have a few satellite locations. I figured I would stop one after picking up a new pistol at Cabela's. I walk in....the line is a mile long and it closes in 45 minutes. I figure maybe they will hurry people along and after 15 minutes I see a sign that says they won't process paper permits. Guess they didn't have an extra typewriter at this location so I had to pack up and head downtown.

Yeah, even worse now with the mail-in BS, the last one took me 4 weeks to get a gun added to my permit???? 4 weeks! I had to call and inquire about it, the had me on hold for 20 minutes while they found it then graciously spent the 10 minutes to process and send it out that day. Frustrating.

I almost bought a Glock the other day, but put it back on the counter because I knew I would even be able to pick it up for a month.

Yeah, even worse now with the mail-in BS, the last one took me 4 weeks to get a gun added to my permit???? 4 weeks! I had to call and inquire about it, the had me on hold for 20 minutes while they found it then graciously spent the 10 minutes to process and send it out that day. Frustrating.

I almost bought a Glock the other day, but put it back on the counter because I knew I would even be able to pick it up for a month.

I didn't even realize there was no more in person for now.

37 minutes ago, Chef said:

Listen keep pretending you live in 1840. A vote against Trump is not a vote for gun control. It’s a vote for democracy.

man you have been brainwashed  guy who posts about  having  a safe  full of guns votes for biden that literally said he is going to take your guns lol  

Edited by phantom
  • Like 3

man you have been brainwashed   guy  who post about  having  a safe  full of guns votes for biden that literally said he is going to take your guns lol  

It’s called not being a 1 issue voter... go storm the capital again

• Haha 1

Just now, Chef said:

It’s called not being a 1 issue voter... go storm the capital again

I can respect that I guess  but still  you don't like low gas prices or a strong economy that is more based in the  USA or less wars ?

his good out weights any bad  sorry to tell you .