ATV 6 disk anyone use one of these?

2 minutes ago, Zag said:

I think that looks just like the ground hog. I haven’t used one but heard they work ok but are hard on the back end of the 4wheeler, I think @phade tried one a few yrs back now.

The area we would be doing is def soft ground . Zero rocks. And would only be like a 1/4 spot and a 1/3 acre spot. 

Was looking at tillers but this seems like a lot less work and the same price as a hand tiller.  We don't need to dig in 10-11 inches like a tiller does.  It would be in areas that have grass now and are level. 

Honestly you could by axle, discs, bearing s and spacers add weight and make tow behind for half of that, pretty much bolt together.  And lot heavier and easier on your machine.  Agrisupply.com can make as wide as you want. Smaller or large disks. Even make a filed cultivator for deeper tillage if need be, or make a combination,  cultivator tips i  front discs in back. 

Edited by G-Man

All honesty, we had a ground hog and it broke the ATV.   This looks similar.  If you can weld, ask @Culvercreek hunt club.  In one afternoon he welded up the absolute best plot implement for an ATV o have ever seen. He should patent and sell them.   No pressure on ATV as it is towed but it has teeth that that dig in as you drive.  And you can add weight if needed although the teeth angle is solid and digs in without it.  Make one. Seriously. 

and after you till it all, you can flip it over as a drag.  It’s what they should sell commercially.   

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

All honesty, we had a ground hog and it broke the ATV.   This looks similar.  If you can weld, ask @Culvercreek hunt club.  In one afternoon he welded up the absolute best plot implement for an ATV o have ever seen. He should patent and sell them.   No pressure on ATV as it is towed but it has teeth that that dig in as you drive.  And you can add weight if needed although the teeth angle is solid and digs in without it.  Make one. Seriously. 

and after you till it all, you can flip it over as a drag.  It’s what they should sell commercially.   

I'm not a welder for sure.  Unless duct tape is considered.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, sbuff said:

How are those in grass?  Doesn't just clog it up?  Looks pretty cool and 95 #s should cut in enough.

All honesty, we had a ground hog and it broke the ATV.   This looks similar.  If you can weld, ask [mention=152]Culvercreek hunt club[/mention].  In one afternoon he welded up the absolute best plot implement for an ATV o have ever seen. He should patent and sell them.   No pressure on ATV as it is towed but it has teeth that that dig in as you drive.  And you can add weight if needed although the teeth angle is solid and digs in without it.  Make one. Seriously. 

76916c249779e8a0ca5723194f03d48b.jpg
975135c2c38f09de66c92c137cf217a3.jpg
  • Like 4

Hire it plowed &/or disced for the 1st time by someone with a tractor if it is accessible. Then you can use much lighter ATV pull behind equipment in the future if you change plot seeding. Don't think you'd be happy with what a "ground hog" accomplishes.

Or just copy Culver's invention!:pleasantry:

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

I have an ATV drag harrow if you want to give it a shot.  I would kill the grass and let it get brown and dry in the hot summer.  Then drag harrow the heck out of it and plant rye for the first couple of years.  It will build the soil and grows very easily in even hard compacted soil.    

7 minutes ago, Otto said:

I have an ATV drag harrow if you want to give it a shot.  I would kill the grass and let it get brown and dry in the hot summer.  Then drag harrow the heck out of it and plant rye for the first couple of years.  It will build the soil and grows very easily in even hard compacted soil.    

We can't use any weed killer there and we can only use areas that are already cleared.  The soil should be good to go, it's in the muck lands area and rye already grows there in one of the spots we are looking at.  That soil there is great topsoil. We just need a way to rip it up to plant.  

Would the harrow work if I cut the grass real short then ran it over with a harrow? 

4 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Just curious Moog, got any video of it in action..   just curious..   looks like a great idea/invention!!

Sorry.  I can’t find any.  This is a picture of the plot that was plowed with it.  The angled plow teeth really rips it up and you can add weight if needed.  We strapped a log to it just to test it and it did dig deeper but not required. Then after spreading seed, flip it over as a drag.  Culver’s design was awesome and he thought it up and welded it up the same day I asked if he had an idea on a drag to put in a plot.  Lol.  Only stress on ATV is towing type stress.  No big deal.  Unlike groundhog max which puts stress on the tow receiver never intended by manufacturers.  

C5D0822E-649D-4A51-9825-361F6735DC0F.png

• Like 1

Ive got a black bore disc basically same thing with disc attachment and several others used it like twice, it broke the hitch on atv in one day, i now use an old harrow spring drag, The area your in does have soft soil so u might not have the same issue, I think your best bet would cut the grass as short ass possible and use a harrow spring  drag and keep going over threw the summer to keep grass from coming back

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We can't use any weed killer there and we can only use areas that are already cleared.  The soil should be good to go, it's in the muck lands area and rye already grows there in one of the spots we are looking at.  That soil there is great topsoil. We just need a way to rip it up to plant.  

Would the harrow work if I cut the grass real short then ran it over with a harrow? 

Yes, it will get a bunch of it out.  Might be a good idea to do it in late April so the weeds won’t be too high and then the rye can overpower them all summer.   The rye wont need much in the way of soil contact to grow.  You can switch it over to clover in a year or two. 

Willing to give you a hand to try it!  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Otto said:

Yes, it will get a bunch of it out.  Might be a good idea to do it in late April so the weeds won’t be too high and then the rye can overpower them all summer.   The rye wont need much in the way of soil contact to grow.  You can switch it over to clover in a year or two. 

Willing to give you a hand to try it!  

Awesome might take u up on that. Thanks Tony.  

I was gonna till it in the spring and plant a mix of clover and grass, then till it and plant it late July.  I want to plant some whitetail mix in there. 

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Similar idea.  Not as heavy duty but it looks like it would work.  

• Thanks 1