Arnold Schwarzenegger released a cautionary plea to the American public Sunday

Arnold Schwarzenegger released a cautionary plea to the American public Sunday, comparing it to Nazi-occupied Germany and sharing his own childhood experiences in post-World War II Austria to warn against what happens when everyday people buy into leaders' "lies and lies and lies."

The former California governor compared Wednesday's Capitol riot carried out by Donald Trump supporters and his attempts to overturn the election with Kristallnacht, one of the first violent outbreaks against Jews in Europe that lead-up to the Holocaust. Schwarzenegger, a Republican, blamed Trump directly for the insurrection, while also castigating lawmakers in his party for their "spinelessness" for supporting him.

"I grew up in Austria. I'm very aware of Kristallnacht, or 'the Night of Broken Glass,'" the actor said in a Twitter video that went on for more than seven minutes. "It was a night of rampage against the Jews carried out in 1938 by the Nazi equivalent of the Proud Boys. Wednesday was the Day of Broken Glass right here in the United States. The broken glass was in the windows of the United States Capitol."

• Like 1

Actors :mda:did he say the same about the 1000 other riots we had in the past 4 years  and  lies anyone who didn't needs  to just shut up and move on  . This is crazy talk  trumps  kids and grand kids are Jewish  they love him in Israel  he made peace in the middle east .

Edited by phantom
  • Like 4

I think it may be a bit over the top. But , I was a huge Arny fan from back when I lifted . 30 years ago.lol

He is a very intelligent /driven man. He turned his body building into quite the career. Before he became an actor he was was fairly well off with his real estate and other business holdings.  I had figured by this time we would have dropped the requirement to be a natural born US citizen to become president . Clearing his path to the presidency. 

Guess I'm not Nostradamus , even though he did make it to a being a governor. 

47 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I think it may be a bit over the top. But , I was a huge Arny fan from back when I lifted . 30 years ago.lol

He is a very intelligent /driven man. He turned his body building into quite the career. Before he became an actor he was was fairly well off with his real estate and other business holdings.  I had figured by this time we would have dropped the requirement to be a natural born US citizen to become president . Clearing his path to the presidency. 

Guess I'm not Nostradamus , even though he did make it to a being a governor. 

the nazi talk is crazy,  but I  would take  the terminator over jerk off biden any day of the week for sure .

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

The 1938 attack against the Jewish people is reprehensible, and should not be used as an analogy to the Capitol incident.  In 1938, it was an antisemitic political group attacking citizens for hateful reasons.  In the 2020 Capitol incident, a group (call them what you may) attacked the government for political (defend Constitution?) reasons.  This comparison is not even close to being valid. 

Edited by DoubleDose
typo
  • Like 1

Did you watch it?
It's an incredible piece of commentary. Schwarzenegger just became an elder statesman of the country.

Agreed, and the people bashing it on this thread are exactly what he is taking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1938 attack against the Jewish people is reprehensible, and should not be used as an analogy to the Capitol incident.  In 1938, it was an antisemitic political group attacking citizens for hateful reasons.  In the 2020 Capitol incident, a group (call them what you may) attacked the government for political (defend Constitution?) reasons.  This comparison is not even close to being valid. 

This is the most ignorant statement I have seen on this forum yet. They did attack the capitol to “ defend lies” then were told. They may have believed they were defending the constitution. How ever they were not. That is the point and exactly what Schwarzenegger was taking about. People being fed lies to then do what they believe is right.

Enough is enough. How many republicans including, graham, McConnell, and Pence need to tell you it’s over before you grow up

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

This is the most ignorant statement I have seen on this forum yet. They did attack the capitol to “ defend lies” then were told. They may have believed they were defending the constitution. How ever they were not. That is the point and exactly what Schwarzenegger was taking about. People being fed lies to then do what they believe is right.

Enough is enough. How many republicans including, graham, McConnell, and Pence need to tell you it’s over before you grow up

I will ignore your "ignorant" characterisation and not respond in kind.   The point is in 1938 a political group attacked citizens (Jews).  In 2020, a group (too much credit to call them political) attacked the government, not citizens.  If they, had attacked a particular group of citizens it would be comparable.  I am not defending either attack.  I am just pointing out the significant difference in the two incidents.  Truth be told, what happened in the Capitol is not even close to what happened to the Jews in 1938.  The analogy is arguably reprehensible because it diminishes what happened in 1938!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I will ignore your "ignorant" characterisation and not respond in kind.   The point is in 1938 a political group attacked citizens (Jews).  In 2020, a group (too much credit to call them political) attacked the government, not citizens.  If they, had attacked a particular group of citizens it would be comparable.  I am not defending either attack.  I am just pointing out the significant difference in the two incidents.  Truth be told, what happened in the Capitol is not even close to what happened to the Jews in 1938.  The analogy is arguably reprehensible because it diminishes what happened in 1938!

This is a nuanced and valid argument. Of course the systematic extermination of over 6 million people has no contemporary equal in our society. But I don’t think that’s the point. We are seeing very similar parallels in regards to demagoguery and the outright propagation of falsehoods by those in positions of power. Likewise, we are seeing a frightening number of people outfight fall for the lies or turn a blind eye for political expediency. When the VP and the Republican Party are contemplating how best to rapidly end the president’s term and when QAnon conspiracies are the prominent source of information for a pathetically large fraction of the populace, I don’t think comparisons to Nazism is so inappropriate. The aim isn’t to diminish the atrocities of the Holocaust but rather to remember them and to guard against  letting the hateful scapegoating tactics of that time become acceptable again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, left field said:

Schwarzenegger just became an elder statesman of the country.

Along with Jimmy Kimmel, Alec Baldwin, Stephen Colbert, Merrill Streep etc etc along with the rest of the Hollywood hacks. About the last advice I will take is from that bunch of morons who have absolutely nothing in common with my lifestyle.

Old Arnold should stick with what he does best, piss poor acting, shooting steroids into his body and screwing his housekeepers.

Al

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

This is a nuanced and valid argument. Of course the systematic extermination of over 6 million people has no contemporary equal in our society. But I don’t think that’s the point. We are seeing very similar parallels in regards to demagoguery and the outright propagation of falsehoods by those in positions of power. Likewise, we are seeing a frightening number of people outfight fall for the lies or turn a blind eye for political expediency. When the VP and the Republican Party are contemplating how best to rapidly end the president’s term and when QAnon conspiracies are the prominent source of information for a pathetically large fraction of the populace, I don’t think comparisons to Nazism is so inappropriate. The aim isn’t to diminish the atrocities of the Holocaust but rather to remember them and to guard against  letting the hateful scapegoating tactics of that time become acceptable again. 

VH, agree.  I only hope people on BOTH sides realize that "demagoguery and the outright propagation of falsehoods by those in positions of power." occurs on BOTH sides of the aisle.  America is better united and the best way there is for both sides to call it out on THEIR side and end it.  A Rep or Dem calling BS on their colleague is more credible than the other party doing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Along with Jimmy Kimmel, Alec Baldwin, Stephen Colbert, Merrill Streep etc etc along with the rest of the Hollywood hacks. About the last advice I will take is from that bunch of morons who have absolutely nothing in common with my lifestyle.

Old Arnold should stick with what he does best, piss poor acting, shooting steroids into his body and screwing his housekeepers.

Al

Trumps lifestyle is closer to yours?

Funny thing is he wasn't giving advice.

He called Trump a failed president ... he is. 

He said that Trump's political lickspittles are spineless and complicit ... they are.

And then he talked about how broken the men around him who followed the nazi party were when they saw the light of day. How easy it was to get caught up when you're fed lies and hate. How much it destroyed their lives and families.

Hell of a speech.

Edited by left field

2 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

I agree , completely different . Didn’t Joy Behar and / or other women on the View do that back in the day when they compared President  Bush To the Terrorists? Why can’t the left denounce a political leader Or a group or what have you without going to extremes Constantly  lol