Winter Fishing for Steelhead

Fat Dan

What about upstream of the dam , do you think it would be feasible up there  and , in the wintertime ? 
In the Oswego river above the dam you mean? There's walleyes in the river but not enough numbers for me to target them there. The size typically isn't too impressive either. I'd say fishing the spring and fall at night on Oneida lake would be good odds of getting eyes on a streamer. I've always wanted to do it but haven't up to this point.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Nice , haven’t fished for Walleye in almost 10 years , would love to get out there again! Do you think it would be worth it to try for em using my Flyrod? I know you can get em on a streamer rig but , in the winter , your presentation is much slower, right ? Very slow retrieve in other words. 

I'm far from an expert but I think you could catch them pretty well on a fly rod but it would probably not me a finesse approach.  I know people do pretty well with hair jigs.  I imagine a fly tied like a hair jig would work well.  I think they are mostly dead drifted near the bottom like a nymph and then a slow crawl back in.  It would probably take some weight (messing with your casting) but I would imagine it would work well if you could get a bucktail or maribou fly down near the bottom.  

I like to fly fish too but haven't done it in a few years.  I only target trout with the flies though.  

I have fished in the Delaware up to Milford PA and several places down through the water gap.  I have never caught anything except shad and smallmouth in there.  Some nice smallies though.

20 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Nice , haven’t fished for Walleye in almost 10 years , would love to get out there again! Do you think it would be worth it to try for em using my Flyrod? I know you can get em on a streamer rig but , in the winter , your presentation is much slower, right ? Very slow retrieve in other words. 

I'm far from an expert but I think you could catch them pretty well on a fly rod but it would probably not me a finesse approach.  I know people do pretty well with hair jigs.  I imagine a fly tied like a hair jig would work well.  I think they are mostly dead drifted near the bottom like a nymph and then a slow crawl back in.  It would probably take some weight (messing with your casting) but I would imagine it would work well if you could get a bucktail or maribou fly down near the bottom.  

I like to fly fish too but haven't done it in a few years.  I only target trout with the flies though.  

I have fished in the Delaware up to Milford PA and several places down through the water gap.  I have never caught anything except shad and smallmouth in there.  Some nice smallies though.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, chrisw said:

If you're looking to catch fish from shore (no waders) then I'd recommend Oswego hands down. They have a walkway along the entire west side of the river and some on the east side. Certain areas you will need a long net, other areas you can walk fish down to a landing spot. The fish numbers per sq ft are much much greater in Oswego than the SR. But if solitude and exploration are your thing then Oswego isn't it, the SR is. Oswego has a mix of steelies and browns right now with a fair amount of walleyes kicking around. Walleyes are behind the hotels on the east side walkway (you'll definitely need a long net) and there are decent numbers behind the powerhouse on the west side right now. Egg patterns are always a decent choice but this time of year the marabou jig bite really turns on as most of the eggs are gone. Float fishing jigs is hands down the best method and you'll get walleyes, browns and steelhead on them. White jigs are the best performers in 1/8oz and 1/16oz. If you're looking to cast for browns the end of the walkway on the west side nearest the harbor is a great choice and generally there are a good number of browns down there. Use pretty much any stickbait, spoon, crankbait, rip n rap or continue floating marabou jigs. My favorites are the Berkeley flicker shad in silver/blue but color isn't a huge deal a lot of the time. There are fish generally everywhere in Oswego, it's getting a presentation in front of them that's key. I'll often throw 4 different rod setups in the truck and bounce around to different areas of need be. You'll be somewhat limited on spots without a long handled net though. I use a 10' net and it's ideal. As far as eating the fish goes, I don't really like trout so I release all of my fish but if you like it then they're good to eat. Good luck! If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Be careful, it's addicting!! My last rod/reel combo was $650 dedicated strictly to float fishing, and I have several now if that tells you anything!

I spent a couple hours last night reading about float fishing with a centerpin set up.  It looks cool.  Now I want to buy one and try it.  Does the float fishing work for species besides salmon and steelhead?  It reminds me of fly fishing nymphs with a strike indicator.  I don't know if mending line with a spinning reel would be good enough or if the centerpin is something I need.  I hate to blow my all my money on gear.  It has definitely piqued my interest.  I just don't want to buy one for 1 trip if I can't use it closer to home.

As Chris said the presentation is so close to a natural drift it's unreal. I have fished right next to a guy using one and he plucked steelhead after stealhead out of a drift that I didn't even get a nibble at.
That technique with work for a bunch of different species....a quick youtube search brought up a bunch of small mouth videos too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Fat Dan said:

Mind if I PM you for further discussion ?

I spent a couple hours last night reading about float fishing with a centerpin set up.  It looks cool.  Now I want to buy one and try it.  Does the float fishing work for species besides salmon and steelhead?  It reminds me of fly fishing nymphs with a strike indicator.  I don't know if mending line with a spinning reel would be good enough or if the centerpin is something I need.  I hate to blow my all my money on gear.  It has definitely piqued my interest.  I just don't want to buy one for 1 trip if I can't use it closer to home.
It's not something you need but it's the best at what it does. Fighting fish on a pin is really fun. We find ourselves using them during the summer sometimes too for smallies, pike etc... Anywhere you have current they are king but can be used anytime you are fishing a float too. Catfish are really fun on the pin, as well as carp. My suggestion is if you buy one go with a less expensive model to start, like an Okuma Raw or Aventa model. Throw the reel on a shorter rod for spring stream trout, throw a crawfish on it and float for bass and sheepshead. It can essentially be used for any float situation, just depends if you're looking to add excitement to sometimes mundane fishing. Good news is you'll have no trouble selling it if you decide it's not for you.

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

It's not something you need but it's the best at what it does. Fighting fish on a pin is really fun. We find ourselves using them during the summer sometimes too for smallies, pike etc... Anywhere you have current they are king but can be used anytime you are fishing a float too. Catfish are really fun on the pin, as well as carp. My suggestion is if you buy one go with a less expensive model to start, like an Okuma Raw or Aventa model. Throw the reel on a shorter rod for spring stream trout, throw a crawfish on it and float for bass and sheepshead. It can essentially be used for any float situation, just depends if you're looking to add excitement to sometimes mundane fishing. Good news is you'll have no trouble selling it if you decide it's not for you.

Thanks Chris.  I think I am going to buy one and give it a try.  I keep a list of gear to purchase when I have the cash so I don't go bankrupt buying it all at once.  I keep a separate account for this (I have a wife and kids so I am restricted).  I would like to get a longer rod of about 11.5'.  I was going to put a spinning reel on it but I found a reel called a Raven Helix that sells for $200.  It looks like it will do the job.  I think I am going to order one before I go to the river.  

Buying gear could be it's own discussion.  I think I am crazy but then I talk to other people who are just as bad and I feel better.  I need to get waders too but for the Oswego, it looks like I can do without them.  Between gear for fly fishing, ice fishing, salt water, spinning, mountain biking, hunting, food plotting, camping, etc., etc., I think I am headed to the poor house.  

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.  I think I am going to buy one and give it a try.  I keep a list of gear to purchase when I have the cash so I don't go bankrupt buying it all at once.  I keep a separate account for this (I have a wife and kids so I am restricted).  I would like to get a longer rod of about 11.5'.  I was going to put a spinning reel on it but I found a reel called a Raven Helix that sells for $200.  It looks like it will do the job.  I think I am going to order one before I go to the river.  
Buying gear could be it's own discussion.  I think I am crazy but then I talk to other people who are just as bad and I feel better.  I need to get waders too but for the Oswego, it looks like I can do without them.  Between gear for fly fishing, ice fishing, salt water, spinning, mountain biking, hunting, food plotting, camping, etc., etc., I think I am headed to the poor house.  
Yea the Helix will do just fine! You don't have to tell me about gear, (or my wife) I have 5 centerpin rods now and I only got serious about it a few years ago. I just organized the 6 packages I've gotten in the mail from fish usa and cabela's in the past week. If I knew how much I spent per year on fishing gear alone I'd probably punch myself in the face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/14/2021 at 10:41 AM, mlammerhirt said:

As Chris said the presentation is so close to a natural drift it's unreal. I have fished right next to a guy using one and he plucked steelhead after stealhead out of a drift that I didn't even get a nibble at.
That technique with work for a bunch of different species....a quick youtube search brought up a bunch of small mouth videos too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it definitely is super effective from what Ive seen.  It almost gives you an unfair advantage over the fish IMHO lol.  All kidding aside, that style of fishing doesnt interest me too much; id much rather have a Flyrod in my hand.  Its not ALWAYS the most effective method either , mind you.  Sometimes, swinging streamers with a spey rod using a  shooting head may be the hot method (given the time of year, conditions,  etc., and which also happens to be my favorite!! ) of the day, for example, but overall, I'd say  Centerpin method is probably  most effective on a day-to-day basis. 

I was watching some videos last night of people catching steelhead in the Pacific North West.  Out there, a lot of guys catch them on Spin-N-Glo rigs.  Sometimes they use bait but they also catch them on the plain Spin-N-Glo. Does this technique translate to great lakes steelhead?

• 2 weeks later...

Im hooked on Centerpin fishing now too! I got a cheap Riversider 13' rod and reel for i think $150 just to get started and I absolutely love it. I use it on the salmon river for steelhead maybe 3 times a year because I live about 2.5 hours away but I've used it for brown trout on my local streams. Probably upgrade next year. Had my best luck on the salmon river with blue and pink egg sacks. A few on single beads too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Im hooked on Centerpin fishing now too! I got a cheap Riversider 13' rod and reel for i think $150 just to get started and I absolutely love it. I use it on the salmon river for steelhead maybe 3 times a year because I live about 2.5 hours away but I've used it for brown trout on my local streams. Probably upgrade next year. Had my best luck on the salmon river with blue and pink egg sacks. A few on single beads too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Can you use flies with that setup too??  If so, I would be open to giving it a try 

16 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Can you use flies with that setup too??  If so, I would be open to giving it a try 

you can but I wouldnt use it for dries.  Weighted flies, nymphs, droppers, streamers, should work well. And of course esp egg patterns.   Its best used in larger rivers in deeper runs of pools.  If small stream fishing or dry fly i would stick to the fly rod.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

you can but I wouldnt use it for dries.  Weighted flies, nymphs, droppers, streamers, should work well. And of course esp egg patterns.   Its best used in larger rivers in deeper runs of pools.  If small stream fishing or dry fly i would stick to the fly rod.  

So.....

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b3713691-0291-47bf-8c5d-4c26651c609c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I use beadhead stone flies under a float on my pin, it works! As long as the fly has a bit of weight to it, it should work fine. If it's too light or sinks too slow, your float will drag the fly.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  I got some gear together.  I bought an inexpensive centerpin setup (11'6" rod and an Okuma something or other) and I have long spinning rods (10'6" and 10').  I think I have all of the gear that I need: floats, sinkers, leader, jigs, trout beads, spawn sacks, etc.)  I talked to a guy who speculated (he's never been steelhead fishing) that it might be too cold of a winter to have much success but I am still planning to try it.  My plan it to try the Oswego River next weekend.  I think it can be fished without waders so I probably won't even pack them.  I picked up a pair but I don't think wading in 32 degree (or so) water would be much fun.  Anybody been out?

Edited by Fat Dan

25 minutes ago, Fat Dan said:

Update:  I got some gear together.  I bought an inexpensive centerpin setup (11'6" rod and an Okuma something or other) and I have long spinning rods (10'6" and 10').  I think I have all of the gear that I need: floats, sinkers, leader, jigs, trout beads, spawn sacks, etc.)  I talked to a guy who speculated (he's never been steelhead fishing) that it might be too cold of a winter to have much success but I am still planning to try it.  My plan it to try the Oswego River next weekend.  I think it can be fished without waders so I probably won't even pack them.  I picked up a pair but I don't think wading in 32 degree (or so) water would be much fun.  Anybody been out?

it is def not too cold.  There are always some fish in the Oswego all year long. Might not be great but there will be fish, that water is always moving so will be open and fishable. 

• Like 1

Fished the SR for a few hours this morning, got the skunk. It's been a slooow year up there. Oswego hasn't been very good lately either but your odds are better there. As far as cold, it was 15° this morning when we started, biggest issue is ice build up in the eyelets.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Dan, its going to be very hard for you to go up to Oswego and fish without waders--trust me, especially for Steelhead.  I would wait a little bit if I were you--too cold right now.  From what I've been told by locals, early Aprils prime for Oswego AND  the Salmon.

Thanks.  I appreciate the advice.  I am itching to get out but maybe I'll wait a few weeks.  I don't know if I can wait until April but I can make it until March, haha.  I'll focus on walleye down here in the meantime. 

I bought a pair of stockingfoot waders and boots.  I got the felt soles but that might make things slippery in sub-freezing temps.  I was thinking about fishing from an area they call the high wall.  I guess I can pick up a cheap pair of lug soled wading boots to increase my versatility.  Thanks again.