Stopped putting out cameras

Lucky118

I do it more to see what it out there as well. Most of my favorite pics are not of deer, but other wildlife. I don't have cell cams and set my cams in areas that are near entrance/egress routes for less disturbance. That being said, I will do a quick scan at the cam location and may adjust where I sit based upon what the cam reports. 

I have always killed big deer bowhunting. Even in the pre camera era.

However cameras make me way more efficient and if any anything I am now killing bigger bucks with less time on the stand, and my avg sit is way better quality hunt then before.

So my answer is no..

• Like 2

Cameras are one tool in the collective tool belt. If you always try to use a screwdriver when you need a hammer, it's going to be a pretty shoddy build. That said, purposefully not bringing a screwdriver to a build-site gets you to the same problem.

I like to screw and bang when I need to. So my answer is also no.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trial153 said:

I have always killed big deer bowhunting. Even in the pre camera era.

However cameras make me way more efficient and if any anything I am now killing bigger bucks with less time on the stand, and my avg sit is way better quality hunt then before.

So my answer is no..

Yes , that’s what I figured . I can’t imagine that Trail cam usage would actually lower your success rate- unless maybe you’re going in and checking everyday and disturbing the shit outta the deer ! I figure if you have a piece of property well scouted from years of hunting it , their utility may diminish some , but , It still would be nice to know what you got out there , right ?

Yes , that’s what I figured . I can’t imagine that Trail cam usage would actually lower your success rate- unless maybe you’re going in and checking everyday and disturbing the shit outta the deer ! I figure if you have a piece of property well scouted from years of hunting it , their utility may diminish some , but , It still would be nice to know what you got out there , right ?
Especially in eastern NY, this isnt the mid west where good ground will always hold mature bucks.
There will be years that you may hot have anything better then a 2 or 3 year old deer hitting a property.

On years like that I might not even hunt a property that hasn't shown that it a shooter buck on it.
Trail cams let me focus on the properties that I know they are there. The days of going in blind for me and wasting prime hunting are cut down substantially since reliable trail cams
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

You do better now that you’ve stopped putting out trail cams ?? Really , why do you think , the disturbance factor  maybe ?

Or just dum luck lol 3 biggest deer I've  ever killed were on yrs i didn't  get out to put up cameras lol

• 5 weeks later...

I stopped using cameras,they did not help me much besides showing who is around. Good bucks would generally only allow their picture to be taken once. I lost a camera as well,i should not have moved it in the deep fresh snow. I never found the same spot again. I think the strap was sun damaged and it fell off.

Cameras certainly have their place,i just dont enjoy using them a whole lot. I do more scouting both in and off season since i stopped using them. I killed my biggest buck so far last year,but it was a case of being in the right spot at the right time. I set up at the point of a ridge between two oak patches,and the buck was following a doe trail between the two like he was supposed to.

4 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Wow--Awesome Buck!!  Congrats to you!!  Is that a 12 pointer?

It was a 14 broke off a split brow I also took an 8 with a couple stickers I would never have known was there without cameras saw him first time in person during gun season when i got him had tons of pictures of both deer on our 90 acres 

E64FEE72-D9E9-4252-B9B2-F1835FE6D589.jpeg

• Like 5

I just started using 2  cameras this year.. They have saved me a lot of unproductive hunting . The area I hunt has a fairly low deer population.. I did a mock scrape with one and saw quite a # of different bucks. Nothing that was consistent to actually set-up on . Enough to show me it was a waste of time to hunt that spot during daylight.

Another couple spots I would have spent at least a couple sits due to the good deer sign. Not a single deer visited these spots during the daylight.. My best set-up had the least amount of deer sign but the most daylight pictures by far..

This piece of public land was new to me and I feel that I shortened my learning curve by a few years with the cameras. 

With a limited amount of hunting time I need more cameras..

• Like 1

I like to know what bucks may be using our property. I don't like putting the cams in hard to get to places. Usually easy access points, that both we and the deer use, to cut down on disturbance. Never set one in, or too close to a bedding area.

I've killed decent bucks for a long time before using a camera. And I've killed some while using camera's. But I do think we are much more efficient with the times, on where, and when we hunt now. 

• Like 1

I actually enjoy the other wildlife I get in camera ,and do not set them in bedding areas ,and only in places of easy access. Run them year round .  Always nice to see critters doing what they do,

Took. Almost 10 years to killa buck. Thay was on camera and now it's a frequent thing with several being shot now every season, always amazed at the bucks killed that are never on camera

I had used cameras up to a couple of years ago.  I guess getting older is making me revert back to my older hunting ways. It's fun being surprised when a big buck that you have never seen before appears in front of you. My hunting buddies are not happy about this though, they were spoiled having me to do their pre-scouting for them.

I will still use a camera or two on foot paths just to keep the trespassers under control.

42 minutes ago, blackradio said:

Thank you. I put out less and less the last few years (none last year) and I've seen more nice bucks that years prior when I was checking cameras every 2 weeks.

I think cameras do more harm than good for the most part although trail cams are a lot of fun.

One reason I love my cell cams.. I put them out I haven't moved one of them in 6 months..