Ice Fishing

SilentStalker

Any diehards on here? I would hardly call myself a diehard, but icefishing is a close second to deer hunting for me. I love getting together with a few friends and brothers fishing with tipups and BS'ing all day. There is usually some gambling involved - biggest fish, most fish, etc. that by all accounts, the winner spends on rounds for all after a good day on the ice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilentStalker said:

Any diehards on here? I would hardly call myself a diehard, but icefishing is a close second to deer hunting for me. I love getting together with a few friends and brothers fishing with tipups and BS'ing all day. There is usually some gambling involved - biggest fish, most fish, etc. that by all accounts, the winner spends on rounds for all after a good day on the ice.

Oneida lake Diehards?  Lol.  I'm a member of their site but I don't ice fish.  I live on the lake but ice fishing just isn't my gig.  I know they have been out on big bay but haven't really seen anyone out on the East end where I live.  A week ago saw a boat off Lewis point.  Lake is now mostly froze but can't think there is much for good ice as I haven't seen people out there.  

1 hour ago, SilentStalker said:

I never fished Oneida, should have when i lived in Oswego. I usually headed North for Northerns or to Otisco for trout/tigers. Still trying to catch a tiger, its bucket list fish of mine as is a 40" Northern.

not sure where your from but def several areas in NY to catch a tiger.   Otisco of course is well known.  A lake up in the Dacks - Lake Durant - has a lot of them but they usually are under 30"  but a very good chance of cathcing them there- ive caught a bunch out of it.   

Also lots of places in NY to catch a 40" Northern  as well.  Just gotta chunk and wind and best times to fish for them is spring thru early summer before July.  This is my best ever Northern right here in NY!  Have caught a few 40" in different spots in NY.  Good luck and keep at it! 

Northern 4.JPG

• Like 4

Man I do miss ice fishing. Haven't been in a number of years. Either had poor ice or when we had ice, my availability was nil. Got a clam flip over hut, augers and and all the accessories.

I've got a power auger that wouldn't start last time I tried, but I do have the hand crank version too.

Maybe still this year. 

• Like 1

Definitely keeping at it! I've been in parties where we've approached the 40'' mark, just wasn't my turn in the rotation. When I'm with my brothers and close friends,  we often rotate flags so we can all catch something. A buddy catching a slammer on my rig is just as enjoyable as me as far as I'm concerned. Pay it forward as they say. 

I know about Durant, but my buddies always want to fish different water when we head up that way.

Beautiful Northern!

• Like 1

I have never been a fan of ice, falling through ice, and death lol. I think I may have been hauled out when I was an infant when they went way up in the Dacks. They would drive the frickin cars and trucks out there lol.

I'd think the ice would need to be about 4 feet thick for me to feel comfortable lol. I've snow sledded across ice and would go as fast as possible that if the ice broke I was barely touching ground lol. 

I got yoyos down the road from me that are out on the river on a little bit of ice with open water 50 feet away! Crazy!

30 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have never been a fan of ice, falling through ice, and death lol. I think I may have been hauled out when I was an infant when they went way up in the Dacks. They would drive the frickin cars and trucks out there lol.

I'd think the ice would need to be about 4 feet thick for me to feel comfortable lol. I've snow sledded across ice and would go as fast as possible that if the ice broke I was barely touching ground lol. 

I got yoyos down the road from me that are out on the river on a little bit of ice with open water 50 feet away! Crazy!

4-6 inches is good (I prefer 6), but it has to be quality ice. Clear not "cloudy" ice.

I won't ever go on ice over water that's moving like a river. Although I have ice-fished in Alex bay. People were driving pickup trucks on it when I was there and if I recall, it was around 24 inches thick. 

last time i went out- the very LAST time - lol.  I walked out fell, got up, fell again minnows went everywhere, i was soaked and freezing and my side hurt for a week and i said WTF and why am i doing this???? 

I had gone a few times when there was ice all winter and just take a pole and a small skimmer and break open other holes that people drilled and fish.  Caught a couple eyes that way but didnt really care for it.  Plus i didnt like it near enough to invest in all the gear.  

See alot of guys using attachments for power drills these days instead of a full auger.  Less to carry.  

Fished Sunday.  Small lake . 5 to 6 inches of ice. Ton of dink gills and 6 keeper perch off the tip downs. First time this year . I didnt get out at all last year . No ice down here. At least not enough  ice for me . I'm never on first ice and never on last ice . I have enough equipment  for 4 or 5 guys . I prefer to fish by myself or one buddy. I find it very relaxing . Sunday I was the most relaxed I had been in months . Wife even commented  I was whistling  as I was  putting my equipment away after I got  home. 

• Like 1

I love ice fishing, the winters lately are a gamble on whether we get good ice or not it seems. If you fish in the summer too check out Onondaga lake for tigers. It's a bit of a sleeper spot for good tigers. We catch quite a few there. IMG_20200902_151356_779.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I go a lot. I have chased the ice a little this year, but I am good to go local now. I fish for crappies the most, but also enjoy going out for perch and walleye just to change it up. We actually don't eat a ton of fish, so I only keep some when my wife asks. She usually wants perch or walleye, but does like me to keep a good batch of crappies. She even goes out and sits in the heated shanty with me a few times a year, which is always a pleasure because she is not much for hunting and fishing.

I go quite a bit by myself, but on the weekends, I like to get together with friends and go as a group with cooking and drinking and just plain enjoying ourselves. I also have a few kids that like to come out and wait for the tip ups to go off. That's about the only time I even put out tip ups.