Ice Fishing

SilentStalker

There are several great flashers out there now. I've always had good luck with my vexilars, I've used humminbird, worked good too but sold it as I don't need 2 flashers. I'd say just about any flasher you can get a good deal on is worth it, once you fish with one you'll never want to be without. If you're looking dual purpose buy a graph and use it for both hard water and boat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow Treeguy, that sure is a beauty. I have been hit and miss on the crappies so far this year. They have been running big, but not as big as that. Are you getting them on a certain color, or are they all over the place like the ones I have been getting?
White/pink dinner bell glow spoon tipped with a fathead. Also caught a couple big gills.

It was an interesting bite. Most fish came to look at the minnow but then backed out, so I played bait and switch and would send a tiny tungsten jig tipped with a spike or 3 down and they inhaled it. That worked a few times. The benefit of having a flasher !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yup, it is so frustrating to watch them come right up and drop back down. I have been getting most of mine on small tungsten jigs as well. I guess if I had to pick a hot color, it would be pink and white tipped with spikes. 

I have been getting nice perch in the 10-12 inch range almost every outing. The crappies just seem all over the place. One time you catch 15-20 of them in an hour, and the next, I pick up a couple in three hours. Glad the perch and bluegills are cooperating a little better.

It is just nice to be back out on the ice. Now I need a nice, strong young man to drag my shanty around for me!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Ice Fishing at Queechy Lake .... Hey it's Five (5) Degrees what else would you do outside ?

thumbnail_IMG_20210130_081451442_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20210130_081514581.jpg

I've fished there many times.  What side you fishing? 

Should have looked closer at the pic. I know where your set up.  

Going after perch or trout?

Edited by mowin

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've fished there many times.  What side you fishing? 

Should have looked closer at the pic. I know where your set up.  

Going after perch or trout?

That's my son-in-law with the Flag up . My Daughter and Son-in-law bought me an Ice Fishing setup for Christmas seeing as I retired this last October and he called yesterday and invited me to meet him at Queechy , we parked in front of the Motel (not sure which side that is ) And what we were fishing for is somewhat unknown to me .... whatever bites I suppose ! LOL     I used to Ice Fish years ago but let that hobby pass for a few years !

8 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

That's my son-in-law with the Flag up . My Daughter and Son-in-law bought me an Ice Fishing setup for Christmas seeing as I retired this last October and he called yesterday and invited me to meet him at Queechy , we parked in front of the Motel (not sure which side that is ) And what we were fishing for is somewhat unknown to me .... whatever bites I suppose ! LOL     I used to Ice Fish years ago but let that hobby pass for a few years !

Glad your back into it.  Do you or your daughter/SIL live nearby? 

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck it out outside on the ice for an hour and a half in 17 degree weather, trying for perch.  I finally caught a smallmouth on a rainbow colored, Chinese imitation jigging Rapala. 

I caught and released the same bass yesterday, along with a couple more, on a tip up, baited with a fat head minnow.  If you zoom in, you can see my "tag" (gold hook) in his throat.   It is easier on me and the fish, to cut it off and re-tie, when they swallow it deep.

Now, I am inside my inlaw's heated "hut", watching the tip ups thru the picture window.  One more smallmouth so far.  It is easier to stay hydrated this way.  I dont always drink beer while ice fishing, but when I do, its Dos Equis.

20210220_100945.jpg

20210220_101026.jpg

20210220_102441.jpg

Edited by wolc123
Spelling
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Since we were kids we were told to cut off the hook if it's too deep, it'll rot out in just a few days. Well I broke off a snapping turtle once and for the entire spring and summer I'd see him come up with that snell sticking out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was at least the second time that I caught the same smallmouth bass on two consecutive days.   It is not that surprising on this litte 100 acre Adirondack lake.  

The other one was even dumber, because it fell for the same lure (1/4 oz bucktail jig) both times, but the lake was many times larger (Erie).  I knew that was the same bass, because it only had one good eye, and I saw the wound on its lip from the first time.  I caught it on the same shoal on a Saturday and Sunday.  I suppose that it could not afford to be too fussy about what it ate, because it was half blind.

That was at least the second time that I caught the same smallmouth bass on two consecutive days.   It is not that surprising on this litte 100 acre Adirondack lake.  
The other one was even dumber, because it fell for the same lure (1/4 oz bucktail jig) both times, but the lake was many times larger (Erie).  I knew that was the same bass, because it only had one good eye, and I saw the wound on its lip from the first time.  I caught it on the same shoal on a Saturday and Sunday.  I suppose that it could not afford to be too fussy about what it ate, because it was half blind.

A friend of mine caught a trout in the St Regis river that I had broken off ten minutes earlier. It had my fly in his jaw. I had him on for a while too, and he was eating again immediately lol

A friend of mine caught a trout in the St Regis river that I had broken off ten minutes earlier. It had my fly in his jaw. I had him on for a while too, and he was eating again immediately lol

Did you get your fly back?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton